C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Cowboy's sound deadening installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:27 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Tested the Double Extreme Insulation kit out tonight. Driving in Sport Mode like normal.

Before the DEI kit, if I remember correctly driving on the local interstate at 70 mph I was getting around 87 dba on older asphalt. I could not find the paper that I had recorded the readings on so I have to use my old memory. I do know that the radio volume would be around 10-12 on the highway and at 6-8 for around town.

Tonight, driving at 70 mph on several year old asphalt road surface;

The radio level was at 5

My wife and I had conversations at normal talking volumes

dba meter was registering 73; 78 on concrete surfaces at bridges

On new asphalt the sound level was 68 dba

On very old asphalt the sound level was 77 dba

Driving at 55 on new asphalt - 65 dba, older asphalt was 68 dba

The radio level was at 3

Driving on the back road home at 35 mph I couldn't hear anything. Even turned the radio down to 2.

Previously the radio was never below 6 even at 35 mph on good, older asphalt. Also conversations required an elevated speaking volume.

Finally did hear a little wind noise on the interstate. When accelerating I could still hear the sport mode exhaust, not as loud but still could hear it with ease. May try it in track mode vs the sport mode in the next few days as I get ready to go to Carlisle.

The DE insulation made ride in the Vette much more pleasurable. My wife said she enjoyed the ride too.

So was it worth it: YES, YES it was.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMS73:
A320Flyer (09-26-2018), Crazy Cowboy (08-15-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

THANK YOU for posting that awesome review. I’m always excited to hear about the results from customers - even more when they do the install themselves it is an accomplishment to be proud of doing for sure
Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Kits in stock! 8 left. Sounds like 3-4 weeks (instead of 5-6) for more material to come in. I have a feeling I will be out of stock on kits for at least a couple weeks before more comes in once these sell..... they are contacting other retailers for me to see if anyone has additional inventory or orders that they would be willing to transfer to my account.

I do have 8 kits' of material available so order NOW to get your kit shipped this week

www.ExoticVette.com
Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Will be in Tampa Thursday morning for an install. Anyone else out there looking for an afternoon install?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Bump for an AWESOME weekend! No installs this weekend finally get to work on my own toys for the first time in months.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thank you to all the forum members who have posted here over the last few months You guys are all great and I sincerely appreciate every one of you for taking the time to post.

I have 7 kits of material unsold right now for the Double Extreme left. It may be 3-4 weeks before I get more. Still working on acquiring more before then since these will pretty much definitely be gone in 1-2 weeks.

I will be in Vegas Oct 31-Nov 3 and have a couple days still free to do installs if anyone wants it installed email me exoticvette@gmail.com

Or order your kit here - C7 DOUBLE EXTREME ORDER HERE

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO CRAZY COWBOY'S YOUTUBE PAGE:
Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

so close to phoenix too....
The following users liked this post:
Crazy Cowboy (09-05-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:03 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 127 Posts

Any plans for a Phoenix trip? I would be very interested to have an install done.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM
BERGN8R
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally finished putting the Double Extreme package in. What a difference!

Dan, thanks for the great instructions and phone support. I would suggest adding the notes you gave me in the email about cutting the first layer right into your instruction pdf file.

I estimate I took a little less than 9 hours (with interruptions) spread over 4 evenings.

Another suggestion to cat owners, lock the door!

Not to put Dan out of business but GM should offer this as a 4LT interior package for anyone not going racing.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:05 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I would consider the rear area, but I'm really opposed to taking out the seats/interior material up front. One of my rules is never, ever mess with the dash (I know this isn't for the dash) and this is a close second--especially having some audio guy do it that doesn't care once it's done. So, skepticism aside, what do you think the sound reduction is just with the rear compared with all of it? 50/50? 60/40?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:33 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Just finished a double extreme install in my 2017 GS Z07. Took about 10 hrs start to finish. Not for the faint of heart, but honestly is easier than you may think. If you have a decent mechanical aptitude, it isnt bad. Dan's instructions are good but I suggest he film an install and upload to YouTube.

So...results. All I can say is that it is a big difference and very worth the effort and all the cuts on my hands and a sore back (lots of bending over and crawling in andout of trunk). Please take Dan's advice, were some gloves or press material down with a cloth. I have a 3 finger extreme paper cut an a trail of blood to attest the edges are sharp. OUCH!

Dan was great as I called him twice late on a Friday night to ask a couple questions. Super nice guy and very helpful. I really appreciate that kind of customer service.

If you're on the edge of doing this mod...DO IT! Get to know your car well in the process A included a few pics of the install.

The following 3 users liked this post by ToxicGS:
A320Flyer (09-26-2018), Crazy Cowboy (09-11-2018), GeoGS (08-26-2019)
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the kind words Toxic! Glad you got it installed so quickly too. Blood, sweat, and (hopefully) no tears is in super fine print on the instructions you just need to zoom in and use the special decoder ring to see it I think this might be my favorite thread in almost 15 years on the forum. I’ve sold so many partitions and insulation kits and headlight conversions and other parts over the years but this thread has so many testimonials and really puts a smile on my face to see so many guys happy with their C7 from the Double Extreme kit. Hope you get many years and miles of enjoyment out of the car and the kit you installed
Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 PM
TexasStingray
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Cowboy

I am HORRIBLE with geography. I know where TX is and I know it’s a HUGE state. I’ll have to look at the distances from Beaumont and Houston to Dallas. I’ve never even been in TX except a number of times to change flights at the airport. I remember hearing it takes a whole day to drive across the state?

If it’s within 3-4 hours I wouldn’t be opposed to driving possibly. Otherwise I might be able to set up more guys in your areas or help you find an installer which may wind up saving you some money and time waiting for me to get out there as well.
Let me know if you plan a trip to Houston sometime, or if you can recommend someone here in Houston who could install this. I would love to get the double extreme kit installed.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 PM
TexasStingray
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tom. I have one other guy in the Houston area that wants an install. I would need at least 4-6 cars to be able to do a trip to Houston without raising the cost per car significantly to cover travel/rental/hotel/airfare/food/shipping/etc. If we can get a few more guys I can start planning it
Count me in...
Crazy Cowboy (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Will do Tom!

I'm running low on material with kits for Vegas and potentially one or two for Tennessee next week now I may only have 4 or 5 kits left of material available until the next delivery. That could be another 4 weeks apparently. I hope not but I haven't heard any updates on the large order they told me was back ordered 4-6 weeks a couple weeks ago. Once the kits in stock are sold I will let you guys know, there may be a hold on orders and installs (that aren't already scheduled and deposit paid to reserve the in stock material). I'll be calling them again Monday and hopefully get some good news!

Have a great weekend everyone
Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 PM
B-17/B-25 CC
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 251 Posts

I’m another guy in Houston that would be interested in an install. Let us know when you might wanna head our way.
Crazy Cowboy (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Changing tires will help lower noise levels. Frost King will also lower noise levels. Neither will come remotely close to the Double Extreme Kit in noise level reduction (as well a heat) that our kit does. I’ve been insulating Corvettes for over 15 years and have seen and tried dozens of things and products. The material used in our Double Extreme kit is more than twice as thick as Dynamat Extreme. The second layer of material is more dense and has two layers of aluminum (vs one) than Frost King.

Tires will reduce noise levels considerably (not as much as our kit) but they are also more expensive than our kit (probably each rear tire is as much as the kit) and you can do them when it comes time to need tires. The Frost King is not a horrible solution especially if you’re on a budget (not maybe guys in a new C7 are on a super tight budget).

I have over 300 emails and letters from customers all over the world who installed our base level kit or had it installed. Probably 40 from customers since 2014 with the Extreme Kit. And since the Double Extreme Kit became available, I have heard back with raving reviews from almost every customer who has installed it. In just a few weeks we’ve sold dozens of Double Extreme Kits for the C6 and C7.

I just got another shipment in yesterday of 1000 lbs of material (20 kits). If you want the closest thing to a luxury touring vehicle interior environment with the windows up, this is the only way to go
is there a good installer you could recommend in California I would love to have this kit but could not install myself. Thanks. LA Orange County area

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy Cowboy's sound deadening installed!!!!

Old 09-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by rrepp

is there a good installer you could recommend in California I would love to have this kit but could not install myself. Thanks. LA Orange County area
Let me look through my orders over the last few months I know there have been many guys in Cali who ordered. I can ask them who they had do the install. I'd consider a trip out there too if there were enough guys interested.

Was looking like a Nashville trip next week but that's on hold so you guys from Houston I'll be emailing you probably in the next day or so and see what everyone's schedules look like.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

+1 (again) for Double Extreme C7 Vert install in Houston.
I live in Cypress (NW Houston) but can be anywhere in the city for day install.
Just pm when you are coming. Thanks!

Btw, depending on where you are in Houston, Beaumont is about 1.5 hours away, Dallas about 4 hours, Austin about 2.5 hours, San Antonio around 3 hours.
As previously mentioned in this thread, Houston is the largest city in Texas and the 4th largest in the USA. Seems like we already have 3-4 guys who would be ready for the install.
If you were to contact three or four of the local H-town Corvette clubs, I am sure you would have more than enough installs to keep you here for a week.

Just pm'd you with my email.

Lots of Vette owners in the Houston area. The clubs would be glad to pass along the word that you are coming to town.

http://www.corvetteownersclubhouston.com/
http://www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.org/
http://spacecitycorvetteclub.com/
http://www.samhoustoncorvetteclub.com/

Last edited by tomlink; 09-18-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by tomlink
+1 for Double Extreme install in Houston.
I live in Cypress (NW Houston) but can be anywhere in the city for day install.
Just pm when you are coming. Thanks!
any of you guys in Houston if you would email or message me so I don’t miss contacting you, I’ll look into getting out there in the next few weeks possibly. It really depends on material available. I’m almost out and looks like Oct 10 until more is available!!!!! :-/ working on that part

Quick Reply: Crazy Cowboy's sound deadening installed!!!!