C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 convertible buyers and those C7s equipped with M7 hit the jackpot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:32 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by mdb917
After 2 hours of stop-go traffic my left knee felt like it was going to blow up. I couldn't drive one for any extended period of time if I wanted to.
I love the added option when you purchase a Auto: Free of Charge...
The Left Leg Rest Area! And if ordered before 2020 The Right Hand Free Option..Be it a Cup of Coffee,Or Any Beverage Choice..Or you could tickle your passenger any where your allowed..In Stop and Go Traffic Too
Ohh,When getting into Sprited Driving Shift To M..M Stands for MANIAC
Love the Options of the AUTOMATIC
Old 04-15-2018, 06:41 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The fact is, none of us on the forum know exactly what's going on. Neither does Car & Driver. I'm pretty sure it was Car & Driver that said the ME car was going to be introduced in 2016 as a MY 2017 car and we all know what happened to that prediction.
There are indicators that the manual transmission is going away due to declining sales. On the other hand, maybe GM realizes they can segment the market by being the only ME car with a manual. Either way, I'm glad my C7 has a manual transmission because it's fun that way for me.
Exactly, I'm not going to base any of my future or present decisions on what a magazine says, they're notoriously schity psychics.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Off-topic: in what circumstances do you choose the vette over the Huracan?
Just depends. Most days I take the one out I feel like driving. Hard to say what makes me choose one over the other. Some days I feel like a convertible so I take the Z06. Love the brute sound of a good ole american V8 and the whine of the Callaway supercharger. Some days I feel like to feel and hear the engine behind me so I take the Lambo. Performance wise they are very similar but it hard not to like the launch off the line with the 4 wheel drive and DCT of the Huracan. Everyone always asks which I like best and it's really hard to pick. If I had to have only one it would be the Lamborghini. It's interesting when I drive the Z06 I get compliments but they come from people who actually know the car (i.e. other corvette owners and people who are aware of the Callaway package). The Lamborghini is a traveling circus it seems. People almost wreck trying to get next to you, everyone wants to race you, and every time I stop at a light I see the person behind me taking a picture of the car with their smartphone. It's an attention getter and sometimes it's a little uncomfortable. I hate to park it unattended. I have come out side to find a kid laying on the hood (with the parents watching) one time. People always ask if they can take a picture of it and sit in it. This has never happened with the Z06. It's a shame that the Z06 doesn't get the recognition and attention it deserves because it is on par in many aspects with the Huracan. I do normally drive both cars using the paddles for shifting.

Don't know if this really answers your question but it's the best I can offer I guess. Hate to hijack the thread so back on topic. If there is anything I can specifically address for you I would be happy to. Just send a PM.

Last edited by breakskeet; 04-15-2018 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:07 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

While those with m7 convertible c7 s have an awesome ride. I believe the c8 will offer similiar equipment including a convertible and a manual transmission.

Never believe the BS from the automotive press before the release of a new corvette.

Always tons of misinformation ...

Manual transmissions make up 23 percent of corvette production.

I don't follow convertible production numbers but roof off driving and corvettes truly go hand in hand.

I am not sure if there will be a fabric top convertible or a folding hard top like the Ferrari 488 or Mazda mx5 RF...

That I don't know but a full convertible driving experience will also be part of the c8 offering.

That said enjoy your amazing convertible manual c7s..
Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Love my 2016 Z06 Convertible M7. 1 0f only 243 in Shark Gray and to the best of my research it is less than 1 of 50 manuals in shark gray color. It also has the Adrenaline red Competition seats . I think she is a Keeper
Old 04-15-2018, 09:15 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 282 Posts

The simple reason that the M7's are 'rare' is that GM builds what buyers want.

That said, very few people want/will pay for a Corvette with a M7. Based on the demographics of the typical Corvette buyer, they won't live long enough to see them go up in value of any consequence.

Like round tail lamps and flip up headlights..... you'll get over it in time.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, that's right, and 23% of C7 production indicates a lot of people still want manuals. As I said above, 10,000 manual units a year is nothing to sneeze at.

Actually, what we were talking about here is that manual, convertibles are rare since only 12% of production are convertibles, and 12% of 23% is a small number. No one here is thinking in terms of them going up in value, just that we enjoy them, and they can be hard to find.

As far as "getting over it," you're wrong as far as a lot of folks are concerned. I've tried several PDK/DCT/ZF8-type autos, and I couldn't love them. I'm happy again in a manual. Many others report the same experience.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-15-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by woodson
off-topic: In what circumstances do you choose the vette over the huracan?
$$$$$$. ?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:07 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
The simple reason that the M7's are 'rare' is that GM builds what buyers want.

That said, very few people want/will pay for a Corvette with a M7. Based on the demographics of the typical Corvette buyer, they won't live long enough to see them go up in value of any consequence.

Like round tail lamps and flip up headlights..... you'll get over it in time.
I actually believe dealers preorder inventory and choose automatic corvettes 75 percent of the time because it's easier to sell automatic corvettes to anyone.....

Some buyers just take the automatic model while they would have preferred a manual if it was available.

That 23 percent of manuals could be more likely 40 percent....if the product was available in dealer inventory.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I think the assessment above has some merit. There are some buyers who have reasons to want both transmissions and will accept either based on the car's other features.

At least one buyer - me - chose the auto over the manual because of the two cars available in Oregon at the time that met the requirements I would not compromise on (3LT Vert, black inside and out), one of them had the carbon fiber dash option which I do not care for.

Had both cars been identical except for the transmission I suspect I would have chosen the M7, and there have been many times I wish I did have a clutch. But there have been just as many times I have been very glad I have the A6 so the debate with myself is a wash.

If I decide to get a new C7, the only thing I am certain to change is the color, and the transmission choice would be weighted in favor of the manual only because of the problems reported with the A8. I would still get a vert with the top interior package and no exposed carbon fiber.

Interesting thread! Thanks!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
$$$$$$. ?
Choose to drive, not choose to buy. He has both, and he answered my question.
The following users liked this post:
breakskeet (04-16-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 convertible buyers and those C7s equipped with M7 hit the jackpot.