C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Rear Axle" - What should I expect?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 PM
tuxx
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Service Rear Axle" - What should I expect?

I got a "service rear axel" message - taking into shop tomorrow. Any ideas what to expect? Is this a major repair or something else like sensor issue?

Thanks for feedback in advance

Note: Car drives great, no strange issues or nothing noticeable. Any ideas on time for a chevy dealer to fix? Costs?

Last edited by tuxx; 04-11-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:52 PM
tuxx
Advanced

I wonder if disconnecting the battery would reset the "service rear axle" message. Right now it comes on each time I start the car (before driving). Feelings?
Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Be real careful here. If you read earlier post about warbling sound out of the rear end, it seems G/M has a problem with ring and pinion gears on C/7 auto base coups.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There are also a number of people who had this message appear once or twice, it disappeared when the car was shut down and restarted, and didn't come back.

We had it happen once about 9k miles ago, backing out of the garage on the first drive of the day. Shut down and restarted, car has always driven normally and message has not come back yet.

2017 Z51 A8 2LT, now at about 15k miles.

If nothing else strange is happening, I'd wait and see if it comes back.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 04-12-2018 at 06:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-16-2021)
Old 04-12-2018, 07:02 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I am very confident that it is signs of your battery being faulty. I have had it before on a car that had a very loud subwoofer setup. That message would occationally pop up ONLY when the bumps were going really loud. I have read others say that a new battery fixed the issue. Also, that code did go away once the car was restarted. Is your battery older? I wouldn't worry much about this, should be little to no issue IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by badass1g:
cmferdz63 (04-18-2021), gsd103 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 AM
tuxx
Advanced

Originally Posted by badass1g
I am very confident that it is signs of your battery being faulty. I have had it before on a car that had a very loud subwoofer setup. That message would occationally pop up ONLY when the bumps were going really loud. I have read others say that a new battery fixed the issue. Also, that code did go away once the car was restarted. Is your battery older? I wouldn't worry much about this, should be little to no issue IMO.

the battery looks pretty new, think this is stock?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxx
the battery looks pretty new, think this is stock?
Can't tell by looking. You need to test it...
What year is your car?
If the battery is a Delco Silver series battery, probably stock from factory.

If your battery is approaching 3 years old, you might want to go ahead and just replace it.

I went with ACDelco GOLD series with 42 month free replacement.

Vette Jockey (04-03-2022)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:17 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

So I have this code now.. Battery should be ok? Was on a trickle most of winter.. But I've driven a few times since plus a 100 mile trip yesterday..

I have to drive 100 miles home today and drop off at Criswell Chevy night drop (near my house)

Hope it's OK driving home... I just drove 20 miles with it.. Drives fine.. E diff says 0 on left.. 30% on right
Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

It could be a number of things on the car but if me check the rear end oil in the car. More than a few was put out to the dealers with very low oil in them. Do a search on it diff stuff will come up. That computer that service that has more than a few things to make it go off. Robert
Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 PM
guero100
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxx
I got a "service rear axel" message - taking into shop tomorrow. Any ideas what to expect? Is this a major repair or something else like sensor issue?

Thanks for feedback in advance

Note: Car drives great, no strange issues or nothing noticeable. Any ideas on time for a chevy dealer to fix? Costs?
I just went through this with my 2017 Grand Sport A8.

First I heard a scraping noise under shifter area, in gear, low RPMs, in motion. GM Techs said "torque tube bearing problem" and my dealer replaced the torque tube after the part was shipped.

3 days later, I got the Service Rear Axle message. My dealer got error codes CO414 and CO418. GM Techs instructed the dealer to replace the differential. Waited for parts. Replaced differential. Service Rear axle came up again on DIC with Code CO418 again. GM Techs next instructed dealer to replace Rear Differential Control Module. Part was available locally and installed the next day. It's been fine since. Warranty covered my issues.

Last edited by guero100; 04-23-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

LOL. Pretty funny GM replaced the whole diff and it was actually only the CM. The codes tell them nothing. It is a total guessing game with the service rear axle code. BTW, it never has anything to do with fluid level. There is nothing in the system to sense low diff fluid level.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 AM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
LOL. Pretty funny GM replaced the whole diff and it was actually only the CM. The codes tell them nothing. It is a total guessing game with the service rear axle code. BTW, it never has anything to do with fluid level. There is nothing in the system to sense low diff fluid level.

Sounds like the diagnostic flowcharts in the factory service manuals are crap. I'm actually surprised the differential wasn't the last thing to be replaced -- typically the big, expensive, complicated part is the one they try to avoid shelling out for.
djay31 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:35 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I guess the second time it only had one of the codes. Maybe there was something else wrong.

I have been irritated because the dealer with GM tech support can't narrow down my issue, which didn't throw codes and appears to be a connector issue that I had to figure out and fix myself.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:54 PM
ZO6TN2.9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badass1g
Sorry I know this is an older thread but I just added subwoofers in my ‘15 ZO6 and I have recently been getting the service rear axle code. Dealership couldn’t figure it out..do you know would cause this?..could it be that it is drawing from the battery? May be original battery so I might just replace it..thanks for any info
Old 11-22-2020, 04:05 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZO6TN2.9
Sorry I know this is an older thread but I just added subwoofers in my ‘15 ZO6 and I have recently been getting the service rear axle code. Dealership couldn’t figure it out..do you know would cause this?..could it be that it is drawing from the battery? May be original battery so I might just replace it..thanks for any info
I'm 99% sure it's battery related. Make sure the subwoofers or amp is not draining the battery when turned off. These cars are extremely voltage sensitive as there are a lot of electronics running in the background and the system requires a strong start up. I received the Service Rear Axle message as well as the Reduced Power message, both after start ups after the car had been sitting 2-3 weeks. I disconnected the battery completely and then after reconnecting to clear the codes, I plugged in my tender. I now have my tender mounted in my garage and religiously plug it in after each drive considering I split time between two Corvettes, work out of my home, and due to this Covid lifestyle, don't get out as much as I used to.

My 2019 Z06 runs great and I haven't had any new messages at start up since I started plugging in the tender on a regular basis. Even though it's a 2019, I took delivery in July 2018 so the battery is already over two years old so I'm watching it. They tend to die quickly in Florida.

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:16 PM
ZO6TN2.9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I'm 99% sure it's battery related. Make sure the subwoofers or amp is not draining the battery when turned off. These cars are extremely voltage sensitive as there are a lot of electronics running in the background and the system requires a strong start up. I received the Service Rear Axle message as well as the Reduced Power message, both after start ups after the car had been sitting 2-3 weeks. I disconnected the battery completely and then after reconnecting to clear the codes, I plugged in my tender. I now have my tender mounted in my garage and religiously plug it in after each drive considering I split time between two Corvettes, work out of my home, and due to this Covid lifestyle, don't get out as much as I used to.

My 2019 Z06 runs great and I haven't had any new messages at start up since I started plugging in the tender on a regular basis. Even though it's a 2019, I took delivery in July 2018 so the battery is already over two years old so I'm watching it. They tend to die quickly in Florida.
thanks for the info..my code usually comes on after 10-15 minutes of driving..never on start-up
Old 11-22-2020, 09:48 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZO6TN2.9
thanks for the info..my code usually comes on after 10-15 minutes of driving..never on start-up
My Service Rear Axle came about 15 minutes after driving the car, but I had noticed the startup was a little rough. It actually came on when I was pulling into a parking lot. It did not appear again after I started the car the second time after running my errands. The second Reduced Engine Power appeared at start up with a rough idle. Again, after the car had been sitting for close to 2.5 weeks. Depending on the age of your battery, I would try a full recharge or replacement.

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-22-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To "Service Rear Axle" - What should I expect?

Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 AM
Drkhrse
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I just had this happen this morning. First start up, pulled out of the garage and got a check engine light and service rear axle? I'd be telling a lie if I said I wasn't worried about this.
(2017 Grand Sport w/ 41K miles). Car has been driving fine. Took a 600 mile round trip with no problems. I drive this car almost every day and have never had an issue. UGH!
SRTZ06$ (11-19-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:46 AM
ZO6TN2.9
Intermediate

Mine did turn out to be a battery issue..replaced the battery and the code has never popped up (it’s been 5 months)again
Originally Posted by Drkhrse
I just had this happen this morning. First start up, pulled out of the garage and got a check engine light and service rear axle? I'd be telling a lie if I said I wasn't worried about this.
(2017 Grand Sport w/ 41K miles). Car has been driving fine. Took a 600 mile round trip with no problems. I drive this car almost every day and have never had an issue. UGH!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:06 AM
eagleye
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

A few weeks ago, I took my 2019 GS out of the garage after the Winter. I checked fluids, tire pressure etc. It was running fine for about a 1/2 mile when the engine started running rough and the check engine light came on followed by Service Rear Axle and Service Stabilitrack. I took the car back home and called the dealer since it is still under warranty with only 7200 miles on the odometer. It turns out I had 2 bad spark plug wires that fouled the plugs. That in turn caused the other codes to appear since the computer failed the system check with the misfires. There was nothing wrong with the rear axle or stabiltrack.
Vette Jockey (04-19-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Service Rear Axle" - What should I expect?