Sponsored by:

How do I improve my rating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 PM
slimjimp
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do I improve my rating?

do to bad weather and being out of town a lot during the month of March, I was able to drive my new Grand Sport for only one week. When received my driving report from Onstar, they only gave me a good driving rating of 4 out of a possible ten!They said I had "excessively hard acceleration 43 times! And that was all in just one week of driving. What am I to do?
The following users liked this post:
juanvaldez (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 09:34 PM
rodsib
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Opt out
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsib
Opt out
Better hope your ins co don't get their hand on it. If so you will be paying out of the azz for ins.

State farm will even pay for it for customers with sports cars but then get the records of your driving. Say they will give you a better rate I don't think so you really can just put your foot into the pedal fast but still be within the speed limit. But due to your heavy foot they hit you on those points.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:49 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Yeah agreed, opt out asap. Don't need another tracking device!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 PM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Sure am glad that I don't have that APP with my ON STAR my ins would be a grand a month. Dump that as soon as you can, if you are like me you'll never get your score higher .
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimp
do to bad weather and being out of town a lot during the month of March, I was able to drive my new Grand Sport for only one week. When received my driving report from Onstar, they only gave me a good driving rating of 4 out of a possible ten!They said I had "excessively hard acceleration 43 times! And that was all in just one week of driving. What am I to do?
Go for a #1!
BuLion (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by nytrorcr
Sure am glad that I don't have that APP with my ON STAR my ins would be a grand a month. Dump that as soon as you can, if you are like me you'll never get your score higher .
Last month went to a dam 4 hr driving class to keep a high speed driving ticket off my ins. That was the worse 4 full wasted hrs I have ever done in I couldn't tell you when.

I have to try to keep it down can only go once per year.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Their ratings are really skewed. I am not an aggressive daily driver but my reports always contain hundreds of rapid starts according to them. I've found reports from drivers of other cars that get the same skewed results.

According to what I've read, State Farm doesn't get your driving information. Only your miles driven which you have to report yourself on their website.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 AM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh joy! I haven’t exceeded 80 mph in the last month. Many hard stops and hundreds of hard accelerations. A measly 10.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
Their ratings are really skewed. I am not an aggressive daily driver but my reports always contain hundreds of rapid starts according to them. I've found reports from drivers of other cars that get the same skewed results.

A decade or more ago I was in a trial for an unnamed insurance company that used a unit plugged into the OBD port to transmit similar information. It let me access on line figures and graphics with similar results, and it also wasn't very accurate with top speeds, overestimating them consistently. After the trial was over I mailed back the device--if I remember correctly--and decided to opt out of any insurance program based on such measurements.

(It also suggested that hard stops and starts meant unsafe driving, even if for example the hard stop was keeping you from running over a kid who darted into traffic.)

Last edited by fsvoboda; 04-13-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:12 AM
vetteorama
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a minivan and the score should go way up!
dariodelconte (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:14 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Buy a Range device and plug it into the ODB port, they can no longer pull reports.. they can get some data like oil life remaining and mileage.. I am not sure if they will be able to pull rating....

This is from last month's report

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION

Engine and Transmission System
We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port.
If an indicator light is lit on your dashboard, schedule a service visit with your Dealer soon.

Emissions System
We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port.
If an indicator light is lit on your dashboard, schedule a service visit with your Dealer soon.

Air Bag System

StabiliTrak® Stability Control System

Antilock Braking System
REQUIRED MAINTENANCE

Maintenance Due

Remaining Oil Life: 13%
Mileage: 18,267
Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

No more BIG BROTHER devices a needed or wanted here !!!!!!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Take it to the strip next week and compare ratings.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Opt out
I didn't realize that big brother was watching until 2 weeks ago and i then quickly opted out.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Go for high score! I mean, what else are you going to do with a Corvette.
Even moderate acceleration is classified as excessive... these APPs don't know you are driving a CORVETTE for gods sake.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
Buy a Range device and plug it into the ODB port, they can no longer pull reports.. they can get some data like oil life remaining and mileage.. I am not sure if they will be able to pull rating....

This is from last month's report

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION

Engine and Transmission System

Emissions System

Air Bag System

StabiliTrak® Stability Control System

Antilock Braking System
REQUIRED MAINTENANCE

Maintenance Due

Remaining Oil Life: 13%
Mileage: 18,267
YOU LET YOUR OIL go down to 13%
SEE !

Get notified of new replies

To How do I improve my rating?

Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

If only this were at the top of my list of **** I worry about.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

You ask "what am I to do". How about ignoring Onstar and have fun with your Vette. Save some money and do not subscribe to OnStar if you are worried about their rating of you.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Opt out
easiest, and best thing to do.

Quick Reply: How do I improve my rating?