Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the flip do I turn [TP] off???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 AM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default How the flip do I turn [TP] off???

I have a Euro spec z51 with nav, and in the top left of my media screen is a [TP] icon. What this means is that whenever a local FM radio station decides to broadcast travel updates it interrupts whatever I’m listening to, ramps up the volume to 11 and I get a nonce telling me that a road 50 miles away is closed.

Clicking the icon does nothing, I’ve looked through every menu including the satnav ones but there are no options to turn it off!!!

Its driving me nuts. Help

Old 04-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm stumped. Never seen that before and no idea what it means.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I don't really have a solution for you. All I can suggest based on some time on Google is that it's not a "setting". It's more of a notification. It's just telling you that station carries traffic programs. Does it change to TA when the station plays a traffic announcement?

It may not be possible to turn it off.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

People still listen to broadcast radio?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

This is kind of a long shot, and it seems really obvious, but I figured I'd pass it along anyway. I found this in an Opel FAQ about the 2015 IntelliLink system. That's just another name for the MyLink system in Chevrolet branded cars.

Q: How can I enable or disable radio traffic announcements (“Traffic Programme”)?
A: To enable or disable traffic announcements, tap on "Menu" on the audio main screen and then change the setting of “Traffic Programme” accordingly
Source: http://www.opel.com/content/dam/Opel...0_20151028.pdf
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
This is kind of a long shot, and it seems really obvious, but I figured I'd pass it along anyway. I found this in an Opel FAQ about the 2015 IntelliLink system. That's just another name for the MyLink system in Chevrolet branded cars.

Source: http://www.opel.com/content/dam/Opel...0_20151028.pdf
Interesting. I’ve looked at all of the settings within the various screens (radio/media/satnav) but not the main screen. I’ll check it out in a little while. Thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
People still listen to broadcast radio?
In the U.K. FM radio is still very popular. DAB is gaining traction, but it’s only been standard on most cars for a couple of years
Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I don't really have a solution for you. All I can suggest based on some time on Google is that it's not a "setting". It's more of a notification. It's just telling you that station carries traffic programs. Does it change to TA when the station plays a traffic announcement?

It may not be possible to turn it off.
The TA icon is always on screen. Normally it’s something that can be turned on/off in the settings (like on my Mercedes).

To make matters worse it was’t enables when I bought my car, it’s only since I cut the battery while installing my supercharger that it has switched on.

Its infuriating though. Imagine cruising around, roof off, with your tunes blaring. Then all of a sudden at maximum volume, some dork starts reading the traffic news. Aaaaarreghhh
Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Yeah, that does sound annoying. I hope it's in the main audio menu. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

It's just someone's way of telling you that you should be driving a "home-built" car in the UK.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Avanti
It's just someone's way of telling you that you should be driving a "home-built" car in the UK.
I may have been born and raised in the UK, have a UK passport and drink lots of tea, but my love is for everything American

The Astons, Jaguars made in China, and the Bentley's made in Germany can all go themselves
Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Mike in IA
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is like some other things I have noticed on several other cars - if you adjust the volume WHILE the alert is on, that will change the sound level for THAT function. No guarantees.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:28 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mike in IA
If it is like some other things I have noticed on several other cars - if you adjust the volume WHILE the alert is on, that will change the sound level for THAT function. No guarantees.
Great suggestion
Old 04-19-2018, 01:13 PM
jimxms
Pro

Still no joy with working this out.

On the main screen this is all I get from clicking on the options:

All of the major FM radio stations seem to have TP signals, the only one that didn’t was a pirate station.

Even if I switch to listening to digital radio the TP logo remains and
it will switch to an FM station broadcasting traffic news all the time!!

If I cant find out how to stop this I may need to resort to cutting wires. AM/FM should have a separate antenna to Digital radio I would think?
Old 04-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Try the following on the Infotainment Screen: While on FM station, > Menu > RDS - On. That will toggle RDS to Off.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Try the following on the Infotainment Screen: While on FM station, > Menu > RDS - On. That will toggle RDS to Off.
I did give that a try, but the TP icon remained. I can't recall whether I got any traffic updates after turning it off though - I'll give it a longer test tomorrow. What I did notice though is that RDS turns its self back on

Last edited by jimxms; 04-19-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

I think the icon is just letting you know that the station has the information broadcast. Turn it off again and see if the updates stop. Don't know why it turns itself back on again. That shouldn't happen. You mentioned that it started the updates after you had your battery disconnected. You might want to try resetting the system to factory defaults and/or disconnect the battery again for at least 10 minutes. The reboot may resolve the problem. Factory default is probably On, so turn if off after the reset and see if it stays that way.

Get notified of new replies

To How the flip do I turn [TP] off???

Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 PM
jimxms
Pro

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I think the icon is just letting you know that the station has the information broadcast. Turn it off again and see if the updates stop. Don't know why it turns itself back on again. That shouldn't happen. You mentioned that it started the updates after you had your battery disconnected. You might want to try resetting the system to factory defaults and/or disconnect the battery again for at least 10 minutes. The reboot may resolve the problem. Factory default is probably On, so turn if off after the reset and see if it stays that way.
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I wonder if RDS can be disabled in Tech2. Might be something I will need to explore if it refuses to stay off.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimxms
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I wonder if RDS can be disabled in Tech2. Might be something I will need to explore if it refuses to stay off.
Tech2 doesn't work on the C7. You need an MDI (or clone) and the GDS2 software.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

You can stop the traffic announcements by hitting the Media button...

Quick Reply: How the flip do I turn [TP] off???