C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some of the features I like best about the Vert (besides the obvious)

Old 04-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
I don't get the need to justify a vert as better than the coupe. People like what they like.

If you want a vert, and like them better, fine.

If you like the coupe, get a coupe.

The need to justify one's preferences as truly being a better choice than another option is silly.
That's stupid! LOL!

What's with the need to justify others justification? !
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,544 Likes on 5,536 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
i also appreciate how the trunk is sized exactly for grocery bags and keeps them in place during rather spirited drives home!
That's one I haven't heard! I've never used the trunk for groceries, however does look perfect size for them.

Originally Posted by spireland
I don't get the need to justify a vert as better than the coupe. People like what they like.

If you want a vert, and like them better, fine.

If you like the coupe, get a coupe.

The need to justify one's preferences as truly being a better choice than another option is silly.
Rebel's correct, this thread isn't about bashing coups just for likes and even dislikes of vert features.

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I understand completely Kevin. I've been a rag top guy for many years, but this C7 is the best I've ever owned. And the deck lid molding is the best thing sense sliced bread. No more worry about dust, and dirt getting between the stripping and the paint.
Yep, GM has come so far in developing the convertible to.

Are the Z06 wheels new? I haven't noticed them before? Look great
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Top down the vert is stunning, top up the coupe is 100x better looking. Just my opinion or course. I did the coupe again with the Z, no regrets. I like the looks, the security of not having a rag top and pulling off the top is easy, doing daily in the winter. In the summer you can't go topless in FL.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,388 Likes on 4,210 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I would have preferred the convert. But I need every bit of the trunk space the coupe. The convert has only 60% of what the coupe will hold. Darn! But I like the looks of the convert better than the coupe and the fact that it is a quieter ride. Yours looks tremendous.
With the top up, and the trunk partition folded down, you gain quite a bit of additional room in the trunk.
The following 4 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Kevin A Jones (04-20-2018), owc6 (04-19-2018), Rebel Yell (04-20-2018), Skid Row Joe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
To me, the Vert's waterfall add's so much to the look of the C7's interior as opposed to an open storage area and just one of the many reasons I prefer the Vert:

1LT red seats plus the red armrest makes a very nice look!
Kevin A Jones (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Are the Z06 wheels new? I haven't noticed them before? Look great
Not new Kevin, I got 'em right after I bought the car. The car had what I wanted, and black wheels. Not being a fan of those I ordered the chrome from Docz. Took the car to Discount Tire to have them mounted, and while I was there a guy made me an offer on the black ones. It was such a good offer I didn't bring them home.
Kevin A Jones (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 02:28 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default only one negative....

....the coupe is a prettier car with the flowing lines carried on by the top.....otherwise that's it...the joy of coming out of school (I teach) and deciding whether my nice little jaunt home will be top down or not is just such a pleasant way to end my day (and I've owned other Vettes and tried to pop the old roof panel but it isn't the same; the worst being the wind banging your head around because it can't escape easily.....)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
With the top up, and the trunk partition folded down, you gain quite a bit of additional room in the trunk.

It really surprises me when I hear someone say "I would have gotten a vert, if not for the lack of storage space". Because if you are referring to "functional/usable" space, it's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

Originally Posted by fsvoboda

1LT red seats plus the red armrest makes a very nice look!
Thank you, I feel the red armrest is just enough to tie the red seats into the overall interior scheme, as opposed to just having a black interior with red seats look.

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Not new Kevin, I got 'em right after I bought the car. The car had what I wanted, and black wheels. Not being a fan of those I ordered the chrome from Docz. Took the car to Discount Tire to have them mounted, and while I was there a guy made me an offer on the black ones. It was such a good offer I didn't bring them home.
Wow, we don't 'fall into' a deal like that too often, at least I don't.
Looks Great!
Rebel Yell (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I like the 2 black carbon fiber thingamabobs (what are they called) behind the seats-also like the fact the area they reside is raised-like the bat mobile.
I think they call those the "tonneau inserts" and, yes they look cool.

One thing I like about the C7 vert that isn't mentioned a lot, granted I only have one real trip on mine, is the fact the microphone for the phone/voice commands seems to work well at highway speeds with top down. I had to take a few business call on the way back from Corvette Drive and the microphone pick up was great.

Another is the wind deflection - my wife has been "torn" on what kind of hat to purchase to keep her hair in order before purchase of the vehicle, after a ride she may not need one (but I am sure she will buy several). Big improvement over our C5 for sure.

Today I learned (from my NCM delivery ambassador,) the C7 was designed first as a convertible and then the coupe was designed afterward based on that. He (Larry McCool @ NCM) noted it is easier from a design standpoint to go from a Vert to a hardtop vs. the other way around. IMO, they did a heck-of-a-job on both.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:14 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by DarthKickA
I think they call those the "tonneau inserts" and, yes they look cool.
Thank you as I couldn't recall the name to save my life

Originally Posted by DarthKickA
Today I learned (from my NCM delivery ambassador,) the C7 was designed first as a convertible and then the coupe was designed afterward based on that. He (Larry McCool @ NCM) noted it is easier from a design standpoint to go from a Vert to a hardtop vs. the other way around. IMO, they did a heck-of-a-job on both.
I'd never heard that before however does't surprise me as convertibles present more a design and engineering challenge than coups because of the structural support that is lost from lack of roof supports.
This deficiency has to be made up for in other areas, thus convertibles (in spite of not having weight of a roof) are typically heavier than their coup counterparts.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-21-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Foy Toy
no egg crate opening above the real wheels on the body . especially in a non z51 car where the opening is not a functional opening . must be difficult to clean and it breaks up those clean body lines
ed foy
foytoy
fond du lac , wi 2016 long beach red 1LT convertible
I am not into exterior vents at all. The hood vent is ok, could live without it though.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Thank you as I couldn't recall the name to save my life

I'd never heard that before however does't surprise me as convertibles present more a design and engineering challenge than coups because of the structural support that is lost from lack of roof supports.
This deficiency has to be made up for in other areas, thus convertibles (in spite of not having weight of a roof) are typically heavier than their coup counterparts.
If I remember correctly, the c5's onward were all designed as open top cars in part because the C4 coupe with the roof panel removed was really bad with cowl shaking, etc...(I had a C4 Coupe--it was bad with the roof panel out).
Old 04-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

I think driving at freeway speeds with the top down, a phone call...does not work. It is loud for them on the other end of the phone and you can barely hear them on your end.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 PM
pnsnkr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Just completed a road trip from Spicewood to San Antonio and back. It's really nice to be able to have a conversation with the top-down and not having to shout when driving at highway speeds. The weather was touch-and-go; so, the push-button operation of the top is a welcome feature This car is made for road trips!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
I think driving at freeway speeds with the top down, a phone call...does not work. It is loud for them on the other end of the phone and you can barely hear them on your end.

Eating spaghetti is difficult, too. So is playing poker. And when it is raining it simply is not pleasant at all. There are so many limitations in a vert it's a wonder anyone buys them!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:15 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler

Eating spaghetti is difficult, too. So is playing poker. And when it is raining it simply is not pleasant at all. There are so many limitations in a vert it's a wonder anyone buys them!
[/LEFT]

Although, when it rains, just drive fast and don't slow down. I've driven through many a rain storms with the top down. It does help to have the windows up at this point, however.

Most of the rain just skims over the cockpit.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Well, you've got enough hair to absorb a little rain. Me, I get cold. And what about the spaghetti and poker? You're avoiding the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Some of the features I like best about the Vert (besides the obvious)

Old 04-21-2018, 07:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Well, you've got enough hair to absorb a little rain. Me, I get cold. And what about the spaghetti and poker? You're avoiding the issue.
So you're saying my hair looks like spaghetti? I don't disagree; after a long day of driving, it really is a fine line between convertible curls and ragtop mop.

To stay warm and dry with the top down, turn on the heat out of the upper vents, full fan, but most importantly: DON'T SLOW DOWN!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:46 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default just love the conv even more in the c7

More power than a stock c7 z06 & almost got her the way I want her

Last edited by robert miller; 04-22-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:51 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Just completed a road trip from Spicewood to San Antonio and back. It's really nice to be able to have a conversation with the top-down and not having to shout when driving at highway speeds. The weather was touch-and-go; so, the push-button operation of the top is a welcome feature This car is made for road trips!
Yes it is!
Being a C2-C3 guy, my experience has always been with manual vert top operation which is a bit of a PITA however good to know there is not really much to malfunction. So I was a little skeptical at first of the automatic top, considering the multiple functions that have to occur for it to operate correctly.
But I have to say, after quite a bit of trouble-free use (did have to re-index the windows one time) I'm definitely a big fan. So nice to just push a button, don't even have to be in the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some of the features I like best about the Vert (besides the obvious)