C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What? No Corvettes at the Mid-Ohio IMSA race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 638 Likes on 423 Posts
Default What? No Corvettes at the Mid-Ohio IMSA race?

I've been planning to attend the Mid-Ohio IMSA race for months now (well, ever since I bought my Z06 at the end of last year), and have been very excited about taking my son and rooting the Corvette Racing Team on to victory. I even called Mid-Ohio and discussed tickets, parking, car corrals, etc. so I would have everything ready for the big day on Sunday, May 6.

With all of this planned, then, I was totally taken aback to just find out that the Corvettes will NOT be competing at Mid-Ohio, but (according to the Corvette Racing Website) will be entered in the Advance Auto Parts Sports Car Showdown May 6 at the Circuit of the Americas track instead.

What the heck?

What is going on here? Are they not trying to earn points at Mid-Ohio to hopefully win the IMSA Championship? Why are they pulling out and participating in a totally different series that weekend?

I don't understand . . . . .
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

The schedule on the Corvette Racing website is still for 2017. Last year the May race was in Texas. This year it is in Mid Ohio. Corvette Racing will be there, no worries!
The following users liked this post:
DGA3 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

^

That's correct. I was at the COTA race last May, and it was very poorly attended. It was dropped from the schedule this year.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2018 at 11:16 AM.
DGA3 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Yahoo - thank you!

Funny how the first weekend of May last year has the same dates as this year (Fri-Sun = 5/4-5/6).

Corvette Racing has really dropped the ball as far as their website goes. How terrible that they still have last year's schedule posted.

A little bit is on me, I guess, because I should have noticed that last week's Long Beach race was not listed. Oh well . . . . .

Regardless, it's good to know that my son and I can see the Corvette Racing Team in action and spend the day at Mid-Ohio together.

Thanks again for setting me straight!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
Yahoo - thank you!

Funny how the first weekend of May last year has the same dates as this year (Fri-Sun = 5/4-5/6).

Corvette Racing has really dropped the ball as far as their website goes. How terrible that they still have last year's schedule posted.

A little bit is on me, I guess, because I should have noticed that last week's Long Beach race was not listed. Oh well . . . . .

Regardless, it's good to know that my son and I can see the Corvette Racing Team in action and spend the day at Mid-Ohio together.

Thanks again for setting me straight!
You will have fun. We just saw them WIN in Long Beach which is a beautiful place to see a race!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Corvette Racing WILL be at Mid Ohio. There will NOT be a Corvette Corral.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Cubby558
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21
Default Car Corral

We are going to Mid-Ohio next month too. Since there is no Corvette Corral, we signed up with Cadillac and we are bringing our CTS-V Coupe!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:10 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubby558
We are going to Mid-Ohio next month too. Since there is no Corvette Corral, we signed up with Cadillac and we are bringing our CTS-V Coupe!
So you mean there is a specific Cadillac Corral? I knew there wasn't a Corvette Corral, so I'm surprised GM is doing anything at all? At the Mid Ohio website I can only find the Porsche Corral?

Last edited by CandyRed77; 04-20-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
So you mean there is a specific Cadillac Corral? I knew there wasn't a Corvette Corral, so I'm surprised GM is doing anything at all? At the Mid Ohio website I can only find the Porsche Corral?
Same here - I only see a Porsche Corral.

I'll be upset if there is one for Cadillac, but not Corvette.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

http://midohio.com/more-news-a-annou...s-a-car-corral

The Porsche's get a corral, a hospitality tent and a parade lap around the track.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Cubby558
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
Originally Posted by DGA3
Same here - I only see a Porsche Corral.

I'll be upset if there is one for Cadillac, but not Corvette.
Originally Posted by jimjimsC7

The Porsche's get a corral, a hospitality tent and a parade lap around the track.
Yes it is an invitation for V Performance Cadillacs, which includes corral parking, hospitality and three day tickets. They used to do it for the Pirelli World Challenge events, but since Cadillac dropped out of that, they are doing IMSA events following the Prototype class, but not all of them. Got invited for Mid-Ohio and the Detroit race in June. Doubt we will do that race, as the Corvettes will be on there way to LeMans and won't be there.
cam30era (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 10:32 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7

That makes me sick to my stomach.

Way to drop the ball Chevrolet/Corvette - You got served by Porsche. (That's the Porsche owner image/reputation pounding the stuffing out of the Corvette owner/reputation)

Those guys will all be together partying it up, while we Corvette owners will be scattered around the track with no team unity and no team hospitality.

Get notified of new replies

To What? No Corvettes at the Mid-Ohio IMSA race?

Quick Reply: What? No Corvettes at the Mid-Ohio IMSA race?