On charger all Winter. DEAD battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
Mine is nearly 4 years now.Need to get A new one.No matter what charging system you use.Nothing last forever.
I changed the battery in my 2014 Z51 after 3 years as a precaution-but it had a low voltage since I go it! I never used a charger.

However the Yellow Top Optima battery in my Street Rod is 8 1/2 years old. It is always on an inexpensive Schumacher battery charger! Started fine yesterday for the first car show of the year. However since it has electric doors operated only with a remote and the battery is inside the car - makes me nervous! I'll be buying a replacement just as a precaution!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Cubby558
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21
Default Bad battery already?

Just bought a new 2016 Z06, which has been sitting in the dealers showroom for most of the last two years. Since buying it, the weather has been crappy, so it been sitting in my garage, on the battery tender. Nice day today so decided to take a ride and put some of the break in miles on it. All indicator light were green on the tender. Disconnected the tender got in the car and started it. Low battery message displays on the DIC. Car has 135 miles, I guess a trip to the dealer for a new battery is in order. I'm guessing the dealer never put the car on the tender while it sat in the showroom, but I don't think I should have to buy a new battery already.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Boucherman
Wow, nice info. Thanks. I used two big vice grips on the terminals to lift the battery out. Strap would be nice. The new battery has a nice handle built into the center of the top.
Yow! I would worry about shorting out those vice grips against each other, but all's well that ends well. These batteries should come with a strap, but you can get a similar strap (non-conductive, of course) with ends that fit over the terminals.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubby558
Just bought a new 2016 Z06, which has been sitting in the dealers showroom for most of the last two years. Since buying it, the weather has been crappy, so it been sitting in my garage, on the battery tender. Nice day today so decided to take a ride and put some of the break in miles on it. All indicator light were green on the tender. Disconnected the tender got in the car and started it. Low battery message displays on the DIC. Car has 135 miles, I guess a trip to the dealer for a new battery is in order. I'm guessing the dealer never put the car on the tender while it sat in the showroom, but I don't think I should have to buy a new battery already.
Since you just bought it, they will replace it. As has been said many times, the #1 enemy of batteries is allowing them to deeply discharge. Yours was likely already questionable the day you purchased it. Your maintainer was not capable of saving it.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I just replaced my four year old battery. It's been my DD, which doesn't equate to keeping it on a tender, IMO. I never had any problems with it, but have had more than a couple times on my C6s where I was "stranded" so didn't really want to push it.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Cubby558
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Thanks Foosh. I assume I'll have no problem getting it replaced. Just frustrating with a new car and not being able to drive it due to the crappy weather. I'm well aware of the parasitic drain on the batteries, as I owned an XLR-V prior to this.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Since you just bought it, they will replace it. As has been said many times, the #1 enemy of batteries is allowing them to deeply discharge. Yours was likely already questionable the day you purchased it. Your maintainer was not capable of saving it.

Quick Reply: On charger all Winter. DEAD battery