Sponsored by:

Two bent wheels -- is this the norm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:23 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by dparm
Shame they didn't do forged wheels like some other sports cars.
Those other sports cars you refer to are way north of $70K. The C7 is certainly a bargain in performance bang for the buck, but you can't expect to find high-end, forged mono-block wheels as OEM on a car in this price bracket.

ZP tires are not the problem, and offer more wheel protection because of the stiffer sidewall. Low profile, non-ZP tires provide far less wheel protection, as the softer sidewalls are much more likely collapse into a pothole damaging a wheel.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:30 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

'14 Z51 with gloss blacks here.

I hit a pot hole so hard (30 km/h) that it killed the front tire, blew a hole in my Continental, didn't damage the rim at all, back hit it too but didn't blow the tire and it wasn't damaged either.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:18 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Obviously bending/breaking C7 wheels is not the norm, however it does happen on occasion.
Z51, GS, Z06 and ZR1 suspension, brakes, tires and wheels seem more designed for tract performance as opposed to running around town hitting potholes and speed bumps.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-22-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:39 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Sadfully GM put cheap wheels on these monsters. CLl or text us for some great promos on our forged wheels which are lighter, stronger, track worthy and best of all wont bend!!

440-915-6166

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Old 04-22-2018, 06:51 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I suspect the aggressive wheel camber set from the factory is the causative factor. This tilts the wheel and therefor the stress point onto the inside edge of the barrels and upon impact is causing the wheel to deform. A typical wheel gets the benefit of the entire width of the barrel to absorb shock. Additionally, a wheel is stronger when the stress is spread out across a larger span than concentrated on the edge. It comes as no surprise that the most affected are Z06's and Grand Sports considering these two models come from the factory set up with this aggressive camber setting. I ran Cup Wheels on my C6 Grand Sport and Z06 for years without an issue. I am keeping my fingers crossed on my C7 GS cups..
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Even "rotary-forged" is actually a cast wheel, where the molten aluminum is spun in the mold.

Foosh, That is not what "Rotary-Forged" means. When GM says the wheels are "forged" they mean they are Rotary-Forged = flow-forged = spun rim = rim rolling, all different terms for the same process.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:06 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Baloney, you can get forged wheels on a 370Z that costs half as much. The 1LE even has them. I do agree that GM “put the money elsewhere” but I would’ve been fine with an MSRP $1,000 higher for a forged wheel.

Anyway, I’m not sure I agree with the ZP tires actually being better. Even the guys at Tire Rack said they are typically worse for wheel protection in the long run. Although the stiffer sidewall might protect better for a single big impact, over time, a lot more energy is transmitted into the wheel since the sidewall can’t flex. This is why the ride quality is worse.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Those other sports cars you refer to are way north of $70K. The C7 is certainly a bargain in performance bang for the buck, but you can't expect to find high-end, forged mono-block wheels as OEM on a car in this price bracket.

ZP tires are not the problem, and offer more wheel protection because of the stiffer sidewall. Low profile, non-ZP tires provide far less wheel protection, as the softer sidewalls are much more likely collapse into a pothole damaging a wheel.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

They are not forged mono-block wheels for just $1K more, which are the only true forged wheels. Terms like "rotary-forged" have been invented to fool folks into thinking they have forged wheels.

As I said above, rotary-forged wheels are just cast wheels, where molten aluminum is poured into and spun in the mold. Sure you can get those for maybe $1K more, but actual forged wheels will cost you $3-5K more. If it's not a forged mono-block, it's just some sort of cast wheel. Some cast wheels are better than others.

As for the ZP debate, there's a lot of out-dated info out there. PSS ZP side walls do flex, otherwise you wouldn't get equally superior handling and skid-pad performance on the PSS ZP as you do on the non-ZP. You can see them flexing as the car sits still on your garage floor.

Ride-quality may have been noticeably harsher on ZPs a decade ago, but that's no longer true. I have a winter set of Michelin AS3+ non-ZPs, as well as my OEM PSS ZP set. I've swapped them back between winter and summer for 2 seasons now, and I just put my PSS ZP set back on last weekend. I do not detect a significant difference in ride quality between my Michelin ZP and non-ZP set.

At any rate, the "cumulative stress" argument is irrelevant in the case. Even if true, that kind of "stress" get's evenly applied to all 360º of all 4 wheels as they are rolling. It's heavy impact damage that's bending wheels, and non-ZP tires make wheels more susceptible to damage to from that.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:06 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

They are not forged mono-block wheels for just $1K more, which are the only true forged wheels. Terms like "rotary-forged" have been invented to fool folks into thinking they have forged wheels.

As I said above, rotary-forged wheels are just cast wheels, where molten aluminum is poured into and spun in the mold. Sure you can get those for maybe $1K more, but actual forged wheels will cost you $3-5K more. If it's not a forged mono-block, it's just some sort of cast wheel. Some cast wheels are better than others.

As for the ZP debate, there's a lot of out-dated info out there. PSS ZP side walls do flex, otherwise you wouldn't get equally superior handling and skid-pad performance on the PSS ZP as you do on the non-ZP. You can see them flexing as the car sits still on your garage floor.

Ride-quality may have been noticeably harsher on ZPs a decade ago, but that's no longer true. I have a winter set of Michelin AS3+ non-ZPs, as well as my OEM PSS ZP set. I've swapped them back between winter and summer for 2 seasons now, and I just put my PSS ZP set back on last weekend. I do not detect a significant difference in ride quality between my Michelin ZP and non-ZP set.

At any rate, the "cumulative stress" argument is irrelevant in the case. Even if true, that kind of "stress" get's evenly applied to all 360º of all 4 wheels as they are rolling. It's heavy impact damage that's bending wheels, and non-ZP tires make wheels more susceptible to damage to from that.
Best wishes trying to get some of these people to believe what you are stating, which is correct I might say, but they are also changing their oil every 3,000 miles.
I have also had both the ZP and non ZP tires on my car and there is no difference in ride and road noise. I did this as an experiment for my Discount tire friend. My wife can hear and feel everything, and if she can't feel and hear the difference nobody can.
If anyone says there is it is therefore some type of "wishful thinking" effect.
(I think that when some purchase new tires and hear less road noise they tend to forget new tires are quieter, as the tread hasn't worn down)
Foosh (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thanks Joe, many myths may have been, in part, true at some point in the distant past. That's certainly the case with run-flat tires because when they first debuted years ago, they were much harsher. The problem with myths is that once established they get passed from generation to generation and never seem to die. The same is true w/ oil change intervals.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:36 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
I have read that in the track mode, wheels are bent more than in the other modes.
Could that be part of the problem Also somewhere i also read that all season regular tires were going to be available for our Vettes. Has anyone found these yet?
I agree suspension is likely involved. Could explain why GM is making all the new MRC calibrations available.
Jim Barker (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:48 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by CW4L
Sadfully GM put cheap wheels on these monsters. CLl or text us for some great promos on our forged wheels which are lighter, stronger, track worthy and best of all wont bend!!

440-915-6166
The c7 factory wheels are just **** to me in weight & being able to take even a some what small pot hole. That is why after replacing a stock rim I went with lite weight forged rims on the car... Robert
Old 04-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

True, but if GM decided to put forged mono-block wheels on every C7, folks would be screaming about the $5K+ price increase. It's important to keep in perspective that what GM is offering in the Corvette line is a car that far undercuts the price of it's competition. That involves trade-offs.

Personally, I prefer it that way. I'd rather make the choice myself to pay $5K for a set of wheels if I need the light weight and strength of forged mono-blocks, and I'd rather choose my own design rather than what GM decides my expensive wheels should look like. The average Corvette owner does not want or need forged mono-blocks.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:25 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Cummulative stress? What’s that mean? Repeated impacts weakening the wheel over time?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I don't know . . . see post #27, which is what I was responding to. It was my term for what I thought he was trying to say, and which I did not agree with.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I guess I have to repeat this since you didn't get it the first time.

Even "rotary-forged" is actually a cast wheel, where the molten aluminum is spun in the mold.

Foosh, That is not what "Rotary-Forged" means. When GM says the wheels are "forged" they mean they are Rotary-Forged = flow-forged = spun rim = rim rolling, all different terms for the same process.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:25 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I saw it earlier, just ignored it. I guess I have to repeat that they are not true forged wheels. It's just a clever marketing term. They are just higher-quality cast wheels.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Two bent wheels -- is this the norm?

Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Here is some pertinent info.

One-Piece Cast Wheels
This is the most common type of aluminum wheel. The casting of wheels is the process of getting molten aluminum inside a mold to form a wheel. There are different ways this can be accomplished and although it sounds simple, this is truly an art when done properly.

Gravity Casting

Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

Low Pressure Casting

Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more density) over a gravity cast wheel. There is a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting, but low pressure casting is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure, but there's a higher cost associated with the process. Low pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket while still maintaining strength and a lighter weight.

Spun-Rim, Flow-Forming or Rim-Rolling Technology
This specialized process begins with a low-pressure casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel, but without the high cost of forging. Some of the special wheels produced for O.E.M. high performance or limited production vehicles utilize this type of technology resulting in a dramatic reduction in wheel weight while enhancing structural rigidity vs. a standard cast wheel.

Wheel manufacturers define this process in many ways. O.Z. Racing flow-formed wheels like the Hyper GT HLT, for example, are created using their proprietary High Light Technology (HLT), a combination of flow-forming and other technologies directly derived from experience gained during the production of their Formula One and Indy car wheels.

CNC Mill
In forged wheels, computer numerically controlled (CNC) mills add the cosmetics and the bolt circle to exacting tolerances.

Forged
The ultimate in one-piece wheels. Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket.
Carvin (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

I don't know . . . see post #27, which is what I was responding to. It was my term for what I thought he was trying to say, and which I did not agree with.
OK. I didn’t see that specifically stated anywhere in the thread so I was trying to understand the terminology as it pertained to wheels.

I don’t buy a “cumulative stress” idea either.. nor metal fatigue. That would imply the wheel was ‘flexing’ and that just wouldn’t make sense from an engineering perspective.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the wheel design itself isn’t inherently bad. It is well designed and engineered. Its when you tilt that wheel onto its inside edge with aggressive camber, away from the spokes, that you compromise the integrity of the design. Straighten the wheel to zero camber and you utilize the full surface of the tire to absorb impacts and take advantage of the full support of the cross sectional strength of the wheel. At least that’s my theory. Maybe an actual engineer can weigh in on this. I do know that my previous Cup wheels never had these issues (not that my current ones do at this moment either).
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I don't think camber has anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: Two bent wheels -- is this the norm?