Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel on widebody (GS/Z06) question

Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 AM
CaptainSlow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel on widebody (GS/Z06) question

I am putting Xpel on my black Z06. Specifically, the entire front end, rocker panels, rear quarter panel, mirrors, A pillars and stripe across the front of the roof.

Two questions. Should I do the doors as well or is that overkill?

Will I see the line from the strip on the roof?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:00 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You will see a line at the edge of the stripe, yes. It will be really small and thin if done well, but if you are looking for it, you’ll see it. The roof seems like overkill unless the car is being parked in the bright sun every day.

I don’t think the doors are needed unless you are routinely taking the car to places where careless bystanders are walking by. More coverage is never a bad thing, but we’re not all made of money. I didn’t get the doors done and I don’t have any regrets about that.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainSlow (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 PM
CaptainSlow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dparm
You will see a line at the edge of the stripe, yes. It will be really small and thin if done well, but if you are looking for it, you’ll see it. The roof seems like overkill unless the car is being parked in the bright sun every day.

I don’t think the doors are needed unless you are routinely taking the car to places where careless bystanders are walking by. More coverage is never a bad thing, but we’re not all made of money. I didn’t get the doors done and I don’t have any regrets about that.
Thanks. I keep hearing about all the paint chips Z06/GS owners are getting on the rocker panels and rear quarter panel. Just seems like the door would likely take some damage as well unless the 3/4 side skirts eliminate this issue.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:42 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow
I am putting Xpel on my black Z06. Specifically, the entire front end, rocker panels, rear quarter panel, mirrors, A pillars and stripe across the front of the roof.

Thanks.
If you do the front bumper you will have a few lines from just the way the nose is made. But you will have to be really really looking for them to find them if done by a good installer. I can see the line on my mirrors more so than any other place

But a good prep work before putting the xpel down he will do a great job. My car is also black. Plus get your head lights covered also.
I think doors are a little overkill if you have a nice set the C.F. are the after market wide pieces behind each tire plus the rails from front to back under the doors.

But if you look on my hood & fenders the guy came all the way out & you can not see no lines at all on my fender & hood & the top piece of my front bumper. REALLY JUST talk with the guy before hand & tell he what you are looking for from his work.. This will help more than anything.....

Any way it did me & he told me about the front bumper where the 2 lines would have to be other than that very nice & clean job. Robert
The following users liked this post:
CaptainSlow (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I got the same wrap (I did Suntek) areas as you did, but I also asked them to add a piece on the trunk area, due to fingerprints and tossing stuff in the trunk. It has really helped.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:32 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,057 Posts

My new GS is being delivered this week. After asking on the Fourm, I plan on having XPEL installed on the front fascia, headlights, aperture panel, skirts and rear quarters.

Here are links on the threads I started regarding this subject.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rotection.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-z06s.html
Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 PM
ShelJW
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.
I did the exact same areas you're planning on, but my installer also put it on the area behind the trunk, where people would rest a heavy bag, before putting it into the trunk (I don't have a Vette, so it may not apply, but there is a short shelf like area above the rear where the license plate goes)

I did do the doors... I live in Los Angeles, and figures that as some point in time, I'll be forced to park next to another car, and people in Los Angeles can be absolute jerks, and swing their doors open quickly, so that the edge of their door hits your door.

I figured if I'm already getting clear bra for much of the car, spend a little more and get the doors done to protect against dings from jerks!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:26 AM
Tex Vette
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Full bdy wray

Thanks.
The day after picking up my GS vert, I had a full body Expel wrap put on. Black is only beautiful when clean and the Expel makes it so easy to keep my car looking sharp. If you have the bucks...go for it.

Last edited by Tex Vette; 04-23-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks. I keep hearing about all the paint chips Z06/GS owners are getting on the rocker panels and rear quarter panel. Just seems like the door would likely take some damage as well unless the 3/4 side skirts eliminate this issue.

You can get the rockers wrapped (I did), but buying the ACS splash guards helps immensely. For some reason, the OEM ones are about a half inch too short and you will slowly sandblast the leading edge of the rocker panels over time. The ACS one is basically identical to stock except it goes all the way down.

Depending on the specific Xpel kit you get, there's also a small piece that is included to provide a bit of protection just below the gas cap.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel on widebody (GS/Z06) question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xpel on widebody (GS/Z06) question