Fuel gauge reading backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Hall1836
Looks like the Techron did it's job, fuel gauge now working!
Great! Makes me feel my using it (or the equivalent the GM product I had used in my 2014 ) is worth the effort. It says it should on the container and is one of the two key billets on the Techron website!

Curious, assume you park your car in the winter as you live in NY. Do you keep a full tank or follow the "keep it at ~1/3 full so the sender is not sitting in gasoline?"

Last edited by JerryU; 05-03-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Hall1836
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Off the road for the winter, had a full tank.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the feedback! For others who are reading this Thread who store they car (and for myself for my street rod) that comment reinforces filling the tank when parked for a lengthy time may be a bad idea!

I installed the fuel level sender in my street rod. I could, if needed, drop the fuel tank with minimum effort to replace it. It's not like the C7 that requires dropping whole rear drivetrain! As I said previously, a forum member was horrified when he saw his drivetrain on the ground in their garage as they replaced a sender!

Would appear to me that having the sender submerged in gas is a perfect scenario for sulfur to plate itself to the electrical resistance strip as there is no gas sloshing around to assist whatever additives the gasoline contains to be in contact with the material. Know it's a liquid and I am not a chemist BUT would seem to me that these "cleaning compounds in Top Tier fuel" migrating by diffusion would be slow compared to gasoline moving in the tank while driving!

The suggestions I have read of keeping the tank ~1/3 full when storing for the winter would be logical!

I put STA-BIL in my street rod fuel tank at each fill (typically after I drive to and back from each car show) think I'll add a container of Techron periodically! I'll continue to use Techron in my C7!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-04-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 PM
Bcarr
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks to all that responded, have added the Techtron and see what will happen. Stopped at the dealer today and they know nothing about adding a fuel additive? Those of you who have had this problem did the fuel gauge just bottom out and stay there? I can understand that being the problem, I'm stymied by the fact that the level goes up towards the full mark as I use gas, and drops to Empty when I fill up. Hope it's not something more complicated.
it has nothing to do with fuel additives. It's either a sensor or something else electrical.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
See my post #13 with details.
Sure you can replace the fuel sender at a very high cost in a C7 as to get the tanks down you have to remove the whole rear drive train, dif suspension etc! It is also possible it is other than a sulfur coating on the sender BUT it solved the OPs problem and others have reported the same, including one where a dealer put in two bottles of the GM equivalent product and charged $100 and it solved the problem!

This is what it says as the two points in the Techron website that reads the same as the recommended GM fuel additive mentioned in the Owner's manual.

Techron States:
One treatment with TECHRON® Concentrate Plus can help:
* Clean corrosive sulfur deposits from fuel gauge sensors
* Restore operation of sulfur contaminated fuel gauge sensors

Techron or equivalent is what Top Tier contains in very small amounts. It dissolves sulfur that is in gasoline that can coat the electrical strip that a wiper moves on as the gas float moves with fuel level.

Suggest you read the whole Thread!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-05-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
A friend today was describing this same kind of reading on her C6. She got some codes indicating the passenger side gas float was faulty.

One can get a zero reading with a new tank of gas if the gas has too much sulphur. That usually goes away with the next tank of gas assuming it isn't as bad as the first tank.

The sulphur issue goes back to the C5 days. Sometimes you have to run a few good top tier tanks of gas to clean the sender. I used Chevron to clean it up, and used it religiously after that. No more problems.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-05-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep, Techron is Chevron’s patented product! It’s in their Top Tier gas and was in others who bought it from them. Assume most other oil ompanies now have their own similar “stuff.”

If there s a problem, no harm in adding a bottle as well as using Top Tier gas. Might as well desolve the sulfur asap.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-05-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

The sulphur issue goes back to the C5 days. Sometimes you have to run a few good top tier tanks of gas to clean the sender. I used Chevron to clean it up, and used it religiously after that. No more problems.
Yup. When it happened to me I owned my C5. I've read of entire portions of the country that experienced the problem all at once due to a bad supply of gas.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by RyanC7
Techron is good stuff.
I put a bottle in the tank about twice a year and have not had any fuel sending unit problems in my C5.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
Yup. When it happened to me I owned my C5. I've read of entire portions of the country that experienced the problem all at once due to a bad supply of gas.
Yep, the sulfur is supposed to be reduced to a low level in refining. In our area we get our gasoline from a pipeline as do many. Top Tier non Top Tier (like Sam's Club in our area that is often ~$0.40/gallon less for High Test) get the same gas! When it's put in the tanker to be delivered they all get some additive package. Some aren't as expensive additives as required to meet Top Tier specs however if a batch of gas gets out with high sulfur they all get it!

Sour crude oil, a common raw material, can have ~3% sulfur, so can see how an error in refining might cause an issue!
Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, the sulfur is supposed to be reduced to a low level in refining. In our area we get our gasoline from a pipeline as do many. Top Tier non Top Tier (like Sam's Club in our area that is often ~$0.40/gallon less for High Test) get the same gas! When it's put in the tanker to be delivered they all get some additive package. Some aren't as expensive additives as required to meet Top Tier specs however if a batch of gas gets out with high sulfur they all get it!

Sour crude oil, a common raw material, can have ~3% sulfur, so can see how an error in refining might cause an issue!
That's contrary to this article.

"But this doesn't mean that all gas is the same, even though it starts out that way. The fuel from different filling stations comes from a common source: the "base gas" from a refinery. Workers there mix additives mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency into the base gas in order to clean a car's engine and reduce emissions. Then, the different gas companies — both off-brand and major brands — put their own additive packages in the gas to further boost both cleaning and performance."

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-...-your-car.html
Old 05-06-2018, 04:03 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

"But this doesn't mean that all gas is the same, even though it starts out that way. The fuel from different filling stations comes from a common source: the "base gas" from a refinery. Workers there mix additives mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency into the base gas in order to clean a car's engine and reduce emissions. Then, the different gas companies — both off-brand and major brands — put their own additive packages in the gas to further boost both cleaning and performance."

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-...-your-car.html
In the USA there are 21 blends of regular gas, One being CA blend and its the only state that uses it. Blends are for a given area depending on the requirements of that area of the country.

The gas you are buying may have been drilled for by BP, Shell, Exxon, Cheveron, Marathon or some one else. So it comes ashore in one of a few pipe lines. All oil companies oil go into the same pipe lines and get mixed together. From the pipe line it goes to a Refinery, again any one of the Major oil companies. So BP might be refining Chevrons crude oil, you just never know. The refiner refines it to the requirements of the blend that is for the geographical area it will go to.

From there it is most often shipped again by pipe line to the distributor. That pipeline could have gas from several different refineries if they are all producing the same blend. So it this point the gas is a mix from all producers.

At the distribution center the additive package is added and it now is branded gas. The additive package is the only difference if you are buying gas in the same area. Gas in FL for example is a different blend then the gas in East TN and North GA. West TN has a different blend yet from East TN. All BP use the same additive package regardless of area, same with the other brands.

Top Tier, is just a better additive package with more detergents in it.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 07:38 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

You may want to change that old school thinking for next winter.
With E10 fuel the recommendation is to keep the fuel at less than 1/4 tank if possible. This will also help with the fuel sender sticking issue, which from keeping track of posts on this forum, seems to be most prevalent after a car coming out of winter storage with the tank full.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Workers there mix additives mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency into the base gas in order to clean a car's engine and reduce emissions. Then, the different gas companies — both off-brand and major brands — put their own additive packages in the gas to further boost both cleaning and performance."
Hmm, that is exactly what I said! Quoting:
"When it's put in the tanker to be delivered they all get some additive package. Some aren't as expensive additives as required to meet Top Tier specs however if a batch of gas gets out (in a pipeline) with high sulfur they all get it!"

Those "workers" the article refers to may well be the tank truck driver! It's a small percentage and as that article states the EPA requires ALL GAS to use additives to help keep the engine clean! Even the $0.40/gallon less Sam's Club high test gas versus Top Tier around here.! They just don't pay a royalty to Chevron or someone else and the "cleaning additives " are not as effective!

A forum poster noted a relative operates a tank truck(s) and delivers to a number of gas stations. If you look at a tanker truck many have internal partitions and multiple outlets for regular and high test and so they can deliver both to different stations with different additive packages. Just have to get the right small amount of additive in the proper section! No big deal!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-06-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Took the car out today and gas gauge was not working. It sweeps right to full then down to empty. Drove about 40 miles and gauge came off empty, two marks. As I continued to drive the needle moved closer to the full mark. It is now at the 3/4 empty mark, if it was working right I would be at about the 3/4 full mark. So it appears that as I burn fuel the needle is moving off empty to Full???
You have gas saving tires, spark plugs, seven speed manual/eight speed auto, and a aero dynamic body. Why should it not make gasoline. Remember to let the gas out when the tank gets full!
Old 05-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Took the car out today and gas gauge was not working. It sweeps right to full then down to empty. Drove about 40 miles and gauge came off empty, two marks. As I continued to drive the needle moved closer to the full mark. It is now at the 3/4 empty mark, if it was working right I would be at about the 3/4 full mark. So it appears that as I burn fuel the needle is moving off empty to Full???
Year and mileage of your car?
Old 05-15-2021, 10:04 AM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Top tier gas

You all should know that COSTCO gas IS TOP TIER. This certification is provided by consortium of automobilei manufacturers. I don't know about WAL-MART and SAM'S CLUB. Having worked extensively in 4 different regional refineries, i do know that the post about common sourcing, then custom blending is correct. I have used COSTCO gas without any issues in my C6 and both C7's. It averages at least $0.40 per gallon less than major brands that are also Top Tier. 🚘🚘🚘😊
Old 05-16-2021, 09:07 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

You do know that this is a 3 year old thread right .....
Old 05-17-2021, 09:37 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Necro thread of 3 years.
LOCK
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (05-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge reading backwards?