How do you get a replacement factory painted bumper cover? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get a replacement factory painted bumper cover?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #1  
onyx_z71
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
onyx_z71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan Thumb
Posts: 538
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default How do you get a replacement factory painted bumper cover?

I need a new rear bumper upper fascia for my Admiral blue GS. I've read on here where people have got factory painted covers for their cars under warranty, and I was hoping to go that route on buying one for mine. Dealers I talked to so far have told me primer only on a replacement, but I thought the part could be had already painted if the color was in production which it is.
onyx_z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #2  
TEXHAWK0
CF Senior Member
 
TEXHAWK0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Longview Texas
Posts: 8,615
Thanked 647 Times in 454 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx_z71 View Post
I need a new rear bumper upper fascia for my Admiral blue GS. I've read on here where people have got factory painted covers for their cars under warranty, and I was hoping to go that route on buying one for mine. Dealers I talked to so far have told me primer only on a replacement, but I thought the part could be had already painted if the color was in production which it is.
The only two place I can think of are the dealer and maybe a local body shop could order... I would check prices both places, but probably just order through a dealer.

If you are near Bowling Green, just swing by and pick one up.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-23-2018 at 08:53 AM.
TEXHAWK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #3  
Fcal
CF Senior Member
 
Fcal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: By The Hook NJ
Posts: 1,566
Thanked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Default

My rear bumper was just hit and needs replacing. Had to go through body shop. You have a better chance of color match with a good body shop. Took a couple trips before I found one that said no problem without blending.
Fcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #4  
dparm
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 85
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx_z71 View Post
I need a new rear bumper upper fascia for my Admiral blue GS. I've read on here where people have got factory painted covers for their cars under warranty, and I was hoping to go that route on buying one for mine. Dealers I talked to so far have told me primer only on a replacement, but I thought the part could be had already painted if the color was in production which it is.

AFAIK, GM doesn't sell them pre-painted. I actually would not want that anyway -- there are still very minor variations in paint and you run the risk that it shows up and doesn't match. If bumpers are being replaced under warranty, I suspect the dealer is getting the primered bumper and having their in-house body shop do the paint. I would be very surprised if the factory was setup to paint spare bumpers...seems like it would be a huge waste of production capacity and space to paint lots of them and just put them on a shelf somewhere.

A good shop will shoot test pieces/spray cards to get the metallic flake and everything correct. Blending should not be necessary. It won't be cheap, however: the upper cover is over $700 and a very good shop will be charging in excess of $100/hour, plus you'll need new emblems, stripes, fasteners etc.

Last edited by dparm; 04-23-2018 at 09:03 AM.
dparm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #5  
onyx_z71
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
onyx_z71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan Thumb
Posts: 538
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
AFAIK, GM doesn't sell them pre-painted. I actually would not want that anyway -- there are still very minor variations in paint and you run the risk that it shows up and doesn't match. If bumpers are being replaced under warranty, I suspect the dealer is getting the primered bumper and having their in-house body shop do the paint. I would be very surprised if the factory was setup to paint spare bumpers...seems like it would be a huge waste of production capacity and space to paint lots of them and just put them on a shelf somewhere.

A good shop will shoot test pieces/spray cards to get the metallic flake and everything correct. Blending should not be necessary. It won't be cheap, however: the upper cover is over $700 and a very good shop will be charging in excess of $100/hour, plus you'll need new emblems, stripes, fasteners etc.
I thought I saw on here where it was possible to get a bumper cover already painted. People with paint flaking issues on the front bumper under warranty seems to ring a bell. I just thought the possibility was there to get one already painted. I can get a new GM upper cover in primer locally for less than $600.
onyx_z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #6  
Fcal
CF Senior Member
 
Fcal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: By The Hook NJ
Posts: 1,566
Thanked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Default

New upper and lower bumper and one tail light surround done by shop $3100
Fcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #7  
TEXHAWK0
CF Senior Member
 
TEXHAWK0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Longview Texas
Posts: 8,615
Thanked 647 Times in 454 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx_z71 View Post
I thought I saw on here where it was possible to get a bumper cover already painted. People with paint flaking issues on the front bumper under warranty seems to ring a bell. I just thought the possibility was there to get one already painted. I can get a new GM upper cover in primer locally for less than $600.
I think you can. Like, my Z51 spoiler shipped separately, but already painted and the dealer installed it.
TEXHAWK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #8  
Zymurgy
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zymurgy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: DFW Area TX
Posts: 19,192
Thanked 1,752 Times in 902 Posts
Default

Chevy may provide a painted cover for WARRANTY repairs, but not for any other repair.
Zymurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #9  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 30,814
Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,556 Posts
Default

The assembly plant paints all of the body panels on a specific VIN at the same time. They run a number of cars through with the same color so all of the panels reflect the paint mix they have that day/days. They just can't throw an extra panel on the rack since the robots aren't programmed to handle that variation.

However, GM needs to be able to address assembly plant paint defects that are detected during the inspection done on the car before it leaves the plant. I imagine that requires them to have a touch up shop at or near the plant. It may not even be staffed by GM employees.

If somebody got a pre-painted panel from GM it may have been painted at the touch up shop. Basically, that is no different than the dealer doing the painting.

The best way to get a paint match is to have a local shop do the work so they can match it with the rest of the car. Paint colors aren't precise enough to mix and match body panels from different production runs without some difference in color/shade occurring.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #10  
onyx_z71
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
onyx_z71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan Thumb
Posts: 538
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
The assembly plant paints all of the body panels on a specific VIN at the same time. They run a number of cars through with the same color so all of the panels reflect the paint mix they have that day/days. They just can't throw an extra panel on the rack since the robots aren't programmed to handle that variation.
If that is the case, why is it the bumper covers aren't on the same fixture going through the paint shop as the rigid body panels? I'm not so sure the paint composition is the same on the flexible bumpers as the rigid panels. If it was, what would explain the paint always wrinkling on the bumper and never an issue on the fender itself when there is a defect issue? Color matched spoilers, mirrors, and probably the roofs aren't even painted in Bowling Green.

Anyway, not a big deal. I just thought it was possible to get the part in color as I've done it before on similar parts in the past. If I just took the word of my 3 nearest dealers, I wouldn't be pursuing a MR calibration upgrade either.
onyx_z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • How do you get a replacement factory painted bumper cover?
  •  
     
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: