C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally! A dashcam made for Corvette owners! OwlCam!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:38 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

There are way better camera's out there that can be hidden and provide true dual channel (front and rear cam). Do you research before falling for this gimmick. Recommend dual channel such as the new Blackvue DR900S (4k); Blackvue DR750S (1080p); Thinkware F800 Pro (1080p). All of these examples have a Blendmount mounts available.
Just seems to me that this Owlcam needlessly impacts FOV.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The beauty of this device is all about it's capability and convenience, and video quality is 1440p. Everything is accessible from your iPhone, and it's always recording without intervention, and no messing with searching through SD cards, or accessing video. Everything goes to the "cloud," and is immediately retrievable.

It's also a security system when the car is sitting still. If anything touches the car, you have a recording of it. Video is always available to review in history on the app, and all video is saved for an average of 2 weeks. You don't have to do anything, it handles everything automatically. Having it visible from outside and flashing is a theft and vandalism deterrent.

There is nothing else like it on the market. If you haven't done so, take a look at the website.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-03-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

There is no other dash cam on the market that has built in 4G/LTE. (Yet) I agree that there may be other cameras that have some better or more features than the Owlcam, but when 24/7 live security is your #1 feature requirement. The Owlcam is the most logical choice.

-M
Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
The beauty of this device is all about it's capability and convenience, and video quality is 1440p. Everything is accessible from your iPhone, and it's always recording without intervention, and no messing with searching through SD cards, or accessing video. Everything goes to the the "cloud," and is immediately retrievable.

It's also a security system when the car is sitting still. If anything touches the car, you have a recording of it. Video is always available to review in history on the app, and all video is saved for an average of 2 weeks. You don't have to do anything, it handles everything automatically. Having it visible from outside and flashing is a theft and vandalism deterrent.

There is nothing else like it on the market. If you haven't done so, take a look at the website.
You just described all the decent dashcams out there...not just this one.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Bvvet
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The beauty of this device is all about it's capability and convenience, and video quality is 1440p. Everything is accessible from your iPhone, and it's always recording without intervention, and no messing with searching through SD cards, or accessing video. Everything goes to the the "cloud," and is immediately retrievable.

Which device ..???
Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
You just described all the decent dashcams out there...not just this one.
No, because no other device has 4G/LTE loading video into the cloud, and instantly retrievable through an app on a smart phone, tablet, or laptop. I'm sure others will rush to catch up, but right now OwlCam has more user-friendly functionality 24/7 whether parked or in motion.

Originally Posted by Bvvet
Which device ..???
OwlCam

Last edited by Foosh; 05-03-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:50 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

No, because no other device has 4G/LTE loading video into the cloud, and instantly retrievable through an app on a smart phone, tablet, or laptop. I'm sure others will rush to catch up, but right now OwlCam has more user-friendly functionality 24/7 whether parked or in motion.
The monthly $10.00 for 4G/LTE is a non-starter (although cheaper than GM WiFi), which is the only "feature" this OwlCam has over premium dashcams. On other "cloud" cams, you have to be connected to WiFi to hit the cloud. That's accomplished easily with Xfinity, U-Verse or a dozen other internet providers. Heck, one can park in a Lowe's, HD, grocery stores, etc... and WiFi dashcams will find a provider somewhere, where in turn, you too can instantly retrieve video through an app. Admittedly, most AP handover suck, but eventually settles down. Oh yeah, whether parked or in motion. I hate arguing over features, but IMO, OwlCam is too big, too hyped, has more gadgets than quality optics and video/audio processors.
Oh, BTW, I do not own a dashcam in my C7 yet. I do have them in my other vehicles (poorly implemented circu 2015 Koonlung K1S). I wouldn't put the K1S in my C7 either. Right now, the 2 big players on my court are Blackvue DR900S and Thinkware F800 Pro. The OwlCam? - not even on the radar. I use this guy for my YouTube / gadget stuff: Techmoan. He has some great reviews on dashcams.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

OwlCam is not on most radar sites yet because it's a brand new company, which only recently started shipping product. You can't get it on Amazon yet or anywhere else except directly from the company. We'll see. They are getting rave reviews on various tech sites. Their first-run sold out instantly, and they just received a new shipment.

Yeah, everything else on the market has work-arounds, but those are inconvenient, spotty, and you constantly have to fiddle with something. You don't have to do anything w/ OwlCam, because it will always be connected. I'm not worried about $10 a month, first year is free. I spend that on lunch every day at work. I have one waiting for me at home when I return from a trip.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-03-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Is it posssible to save say a 5 minute video if you were on a trip to Yellowstone or will it stay in the cloud and be deleted?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

As I understand it. You can tag "favorite" clips that will be sent directly to your phone, where you can then save it wherever you want. According to the info on the website in the OP, you can do this verbally by simply saying "OK Presto."

The website goes on to say that two weeks of video remains in the cloud for the average user. Thus, anything you want to save needs to be within that two-week window. I believe you can go back into the history from the OwlCam app at any time to save whatever you want.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:30 PM
chenner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I was planning on buying one for my truck so that I can keep an eye on my dogs when I leave them alone in there. Glad to see/hear it works well.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by managerman
I have been looking for months for a dashcam for the car, but I wanted one that would also provide security at the same time. It also needed to have 4G/LTE so I could monitor it at any time....I could not find one.....until the Owlcam came along!

This camera is a made for Corvette owners!

http://www.owlcam.com

It is pretty expensive at 349.99, but it comes with the first year of LTE for free.

It was extremely easy to install...It comes with multiple sizes of "Wedge Arm mounts" which wedge between the dash and the windshield and then it it stabilized by a suction cup. A very ingenious concept and it works great!

Power is delivered to the camera via the OBD2 port...It has a special sensor in the connector that ensures that the camera will not drain your battery....Another great idea!

The small wire is run between the windshield and the dash and Owlcam provides a "tuck" tool to help wedge the wire. I then ran the wire down the A pillar, tucking the wire as I ran it. Install only took about 10 min!

The outside camera is 1440p and the inside facing camera is 720p

Here is what the views look like..

Here is a sample video I took over the weekend as someone cut across lanes in front of me....

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApNm1kWzkDhahZ4oZOzc577YWkT-Vg

So far the camera is working great! The live motion alerts and the 24/7 monitoring are a great security features and offer a lot of peace of mind while the car is parked somewhere else besides home.

There is a ton more info on the owlcam website. They even will replace the camera for free if it is stolen....

-M
Be aware that California has a vehicle law that states nothing can be attached to the windshield in the center. Only allowed in the far left and right lower corners of the windshield.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Interesting, but OwlCam is based in Palo Alto. The suction cup appears to be even with the level part of the dash as it curves downward sharply toward the windshield. That doesn't interfere with line of sight any more than the dash does.

Given the design of the slim arm used on the C7 in the OP and the small size of the device, I don't see a sight-line problem, no more so than the elevated dash pod and steering wheel.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-04-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:26 AM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

All well and good but has anyone yet used this with an OBD port splitter. I will not give up my Range for this.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

It would be better if it did not have a screen and was a lot smaller. Just record the content...we don’t need to see it when we are driving. The viewing should be via a computer or phone only.

To me, I think people might think it is an expensive device and look to break in and steal it.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

In South Florida which is full of tourists, thieves look for cars that have GPS's mounted on the dash smash the windows and take them and run. There have been lots and lots of cases such as this. Unfortunately this device looks like a GPS, the cost of a replacement window and possible damage is greater to me than recording video.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Well maybe in a few cases, but it sure would be a really dumb thief. This thing is so obviously a camera sitting there blinking and taking the potential perp's picture, while he's thinking about it.

Thus, in the vast majority of cases, a thief will just move on to another target.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally! A dashcam made for Corvette owners! OwlCam!

Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

where is the real life footage?

I assume non of you guys have the PDR. I use my PDR as a dash cam. I turn it on before heading out of the garage.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:18 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by franknbeans
where is the real life footage?

I assume non of you guys have the PDR. I use my PDR as a dash cam. I turn it on before heading out of the garage.
Quality is pretty good, check out this link

Make sure you select 1080p to be fair. I checked and you can read license plates which is ideal for sure.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:05 AM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got one, installed it, quit working after 10 minutes of driving. Must have got a lemon. Front camera went out and it would not quit searching for the network but could never find it. I am returning it and they said they would send a replacement. We will see if they do and I will give an update on the replacement. I bought it because of the ease and neatness off install.

Last edited by viperZ06; 05-05-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally! A dashcam made for Corvette owners! OwlCam!