C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Transmission Problem? Help Diagnose Please :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 AM
CorvetteCali
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini
I’ve had this issue since about 3,800 miles on my 2015 A8. If your issue tracks with mine, it will get worse. Wait for a month or two until it’s more pronounced and take it back. The dealer was never able to fix mine after five tries and GM finally threw in the towel and is replacing my car with a new 2019. Good luck.
That's awesome (That you got a new car), I hope I do too! haha. Definitely sucks though in the mean time. Thanks for your input!

Assuming you had to repay taxes and licensing? or did GM cover that too? Did you get a new 3 year warranty?

Last edited by CorvetteCali; 04-25-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:09 AM
dash7510
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteCali
Don't like the feeling myself. Great idea, thanks!

But also does the issue get worse or mean bigger problems later? Any idea?

Appreciate it!
I bought mine brand new with 7 miles on it. Mine as been doing it for as far back as I remember. The issue has not got any worse for me. Now, I have just about 12000 miles on it. In the past, I told the dealer about it and they updated the transmission software. If you ask me, none of the updates the dealer did made any difference.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:01 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
Will a Range device improve this problem?
Most all A8 transmissions have that hard first to second cold shift. Not sure about 18 or 19 models. I would call it normal on 15-17 model years. Yes the Range has helped a lot at smoothing out that first shift of the day.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:30 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Most all A8 transmissions have that hard first to second cold shift.
I’m very easy on my C7 until things are warmed up. I usually drive away from my place very gingerly for the first block or two. That’s when I noticed that first abrupt shift. I’ve found that if I pull away a bit more aggressively, (nothing ridiculous mind you) I sometimes don’t have the problem. The ultimate cure has been to just use the paddles for that first couple of shifts. It’s always been smooth that way.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 AM
FCento
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
I’m very easy on my C7 until things are warmed up. I usually drive away from my place very gingerly for the first block or two. That’s when I noticed that first abrupt shift. I’ve found that if I pull away a bit more aggressively, (nothing ridiculous mind you) I sometimes don’t have the problem. The ultimate cure has been to just use the paddles for that first couple of shifts. It’s always been smooth that way.
paddle the first few
Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by dacbr131
Had a different issue w my 2016 Z51, with 6000 miles on it, A8 today. I was driving in Sport mode on the interstate for 10 minutes or so (everything should be warmed up by now) at the posted limit when a tractor trailer driver decided to squeeze me, causing me to depress the go pedal A LOT! The acceleration from 60 to nearly 80 was impressive and the tractor trailer was nicely disappearing in the rear view mirror! But when I let off the gas pedal due to traffic ahead the RPM's remained noticeably high (4K) for an uncomfortably long period of time. After 15 seconds or so the RPM's dropped to back cruising speed. Do I have an A8 problem???? What say ye?
This is normal. When you drive the car hard the transmission will go into performance mode and hold gears anticipating another stab of the throttle.

Do you guys even read the manual?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:29 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The complaints are certainly out there which is the RPM variation and shudder at steady cruising speed with the engine running in V4 mode and the lockup clutch no longer engaging as consistently as it should (and did when new). During V4 mode the lockup clutch is rapidly modulated on and off to help absorb V4 mode vibration and the amount of wear that occurs in a few hundred miles in this mode is more than you would normally see in a very well used transmission.

It is covered under warranty (see all of the replacement torque converters, triple fluid flush, new fluid type, etc.). The problem is worse with the LT1 because it goes into V4 mode quite frequently under cruising conditions while the problem is seldom seen with the LT4 equipped Z06 which goes into V4 mode only under very limited conditions.

The same problem shows up in other GM platforms using this transmission and AFM system and it seems worse with the 8L90 transmission probably because the torque converter was shrunk so that the 8L90 could fit within the same length/ space as the 6L80 6 speed.
The described condition is exactly what my 30k miles 2015 base Stingray has been doing. It was particularly bad in D8 at 1450 RPM. It is currently in the dealer shop for a new torque converter. another thread somewhere mentions that GM has a new design Gen 3 torque converter which is redesigned to address the drain back issue.

I'm trying to find the GM Part Number for this Gen 3 TC. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

I also put it in your post.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
FWIW, I’m not sure if this particular problem is just unique to the C7 A8. I recall a similar experience on occasion with my C6 with the A6. And always just with that first shift of the day. I just shrugged it off. Never had any other issues with it.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnp94
I also put it in your post.
Maybe this is why GM is doing the 3 flush routine. Did they change the fluid type at some point?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:05 PM
dacbr131
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
No problem. Tranny went into Performance Shift Mode. Normal.
i love this forum! It took a mere 8 minutes for a member to assuage my concerns. Thanks to rmorin and all the others that share their expertise and enthusiasm for Corvettes and the other members.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteCali (04-27-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default GM pays for everything

Originally Posted by CorvetteCali
That's awesome (That you got a new car), I hope I do too! haha. Definitely sucks though in the mean time. Thanks for your input!

Assuming you had to repay taxes and licensing? or did GM cover that too? Did you get a new 3 year warranty?
GM covers the entire cost. They pay off the loan and cover the cost of a new car. They also cover the tax and license. I get a new warranty. The only thing I’m subject to is a fair use fee that covers the time I had the car before the issue was first reported. It will amount to two or three thousand, I think. Not a bad deal.
CorvetteCali (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 AM
CorvetteCali
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by arturobandini

GM covers the entire cost. They pay off the loan and cover the cost of a new car. They also cover the tax and license. I get a new warranty. The only thing I’m subject to is a fair use fee that covers the time I had the car before the issue was first reported. It will amount to two or three thousand, I think. Not a bad deal.
yeah that sounds nice!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

I've got 11K on my 2016 and it has had the rough 1-2nd shift on cold days since day 1. On warm days, like 70-90s there is no problem. I shift it intoM after i back out of the driveway and select 2nd gear when driving off. FWIW i had a sticky manual shift from 1st to second on cold days on a previous car. I had to be careful not to grind em until it warmed up. Put 125 miles on it with no problems. I think it is just the increased viscosity of the cold fluids. When I first got the vette i was worried that after sitting for a while it would crank for what I thought was too long, then I found out that the fuel rail needs to get up to pressure before ignition. These new fangled machines with all their computers can be so confusing some times especially for old geezers.
CorvetteCali (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 PM
CorvetteCali
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Italianfox
I've got 11K on my 2016 and it has had the rough 1-2nd shift on cold days since day 1. On warm days, like 70-90s there is no problem. I shift it intoM after i back out of the driveway and select 2nd gear when driving off. FWIW i had a sticky manual shift from 1st to second on cold days on a previous car. I had to be careful not to grind em until it warmed up. Put 125 miles on it with no problems. I think it is just the increased viscosity of the cold fluids. When I first got the vette i was worried that after sitting for a while it would crank for what I thought was too long, then I found out that the fuel rail needs to get up to pressure before ignition. These new fangled machines with all their computers can be so confusing some times especially for old geezers.
Yeah I had my "longer" start looked into as well, they said it was normal but I'm pretty sure you gave a more explained answer then the dealer did. That's sad, lol. Thanks!

Quick Reply: A8 Transmission Problem? Help Diagnose Please :)