Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of GM Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 AM
BMF82
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Downside of GM Extended Warranty?

My current warrenty ends soon and I plan to buy a GM Extended Warrenty through Dennis. My concern is getting service at Chevy Dealers. From my experience they do half *** work becaue most of these dealers have very little experience servicing Corvettes. I also find they just don’t care. I get th car back with grease all over the interior and exterior.

Can I use the extended Warrenty anywhere or only at the Chevy dealer?

Also, does anyone recommend a Chevy Dealer that has experience with C7s in Metro Detroit?

Last edited by BMF82; 04-27-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:21 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82
My current warrenty ends soon and I plan to buy a GM Extended Warrenty through Dennis. My concern is getting service at Chevy Dealers. From my experience they do half *** work becaue most of these dealers have very little experience servicing Corvettes. I also find they just don’t care. I get th car back with grease all over the interior and exterior.

Also, does anyone recommend a Chevy Dealer that has experience with C7s in Metro Detroit?
I bought an extended warranty when my car was new. Cost $1700 and I was under the impression it was a GM warranty. I tried to use it for the first time for a TSB this past weekend and they wouldn't cover it. Turns out its a separate company called CNA. Long story short I am very dissatisfied and would not purchase it again. My car was 3 weeks out of the GM warranty.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

They've got more experience servicing Corvettes than most anywhere else you could think to take it, wouldn't they?

Besides, the things covered under an extended warranty would be basic repair procedures that are right up their alley. Not complex fabrication or anything.

I tried to use it for the first time for a TSB this past weekend and they wouldn't cover it.
You wanted an extended warranty to cover something that even an in-service factory warranty doesn't cover and were surprised? TSBs aren't recalls and they aren't performed under warranty. They're just bulletins on HOW to do stuff regardless of whether its a warranty claim or not.

Last edited by davepl; 04-27-2018 at 10:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davepl:
Maxie2U (04-27-2018), Rebel Yell (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:09 AM
Burgy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy GMEPP from Dennis, and get service from Les Stanford in Dearborn.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:17 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Dennis has so many satisfied buyers.
The following users liked this post:
redandtan (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:29 AM
caliboi707
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

does anyone have the contact info for dennis?
redandtan (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Dpriceslc
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 85 Posts

dfichtner@dennymenholt.com
redandtan (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by robertf97
I bought an extended warranty when my car was new. Cost $1700 and I was under the impression it was a GM warranty. I tried to use it for the first time for a TSB this past weekend and they wouldn't cover it. Turns out its a separate company called CNA. Long story short I am very dissatisfied and would not purchase it again. My car was 3 weeks out of the GM warranty.
Must have been a GMPP and not a GMEPP warranty. The ones Dennis sells are GMEPP and are actual GM warranties. The GMPP are not.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Regardless of coverage or the TSB, I’d go back to the dealer and demand a refund if they portrayed your extended warranty as a “GM” and it in fact was just some random 3rd party crap.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-27-2018 at 02:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Rebel Yell (04-30-2018), robertf97 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 03:20 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,030 Posts

With GMEPP, according to the contract, you may take your car to any licensed repair facility if a GM dealer is not "accessible", whatever that means.

GM does use a third party administrator, but for mine it is AMT. , not CNA. It should be very obvious looking at your contract if it is GM or not.

That said, a TSB isn't necessarily covered within factory warranty, let alone extended warranty, as it is not a warranty item or recall, so unless there was something broken with the car, I would not expect the TSB to be done under any extended warranty.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:33 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Long ago I got a 3rd party warranty on my C5. Luckily I didn't need it because they went bankrupt. So now I just get a GM warranty from Dennis. Abel Chevrolet also sells them, especially for those in CA where apparently Dennis can no longer sell them.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:53 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

You didn't purchase the GM extended warranty. You bought after market. Plus as was already stated, TSB'S are not warranty work.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:16 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Most warranties, including GMEPP do not cover repairs for parts that aren't failed. Browsing the internet and finding TSB's that might apply to the car doesn't count as failed parts. Not saying the OP did that, but we get calls daily for TSB repairs that people want done regardless of the car actually exhibiting the concern.

With that being said, GMEPP and every other extended warranty uses third party administrators to handle the claims process. Programming updates, fluid flushes and things like that are not typically covered unless required during the course of repairs for a failed part.

RICH
Old 04-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,136 Likes on 2,240 Posts

Boohoo...find a better dealer. It’s not like any of the run of the mill mechanic shops have EVER worked on a C7. There are three dealers here in Portland who know and can work on C7s so you must live in bum_uck no where not to have a GM dealer that has worked on C7s.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 04-27-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:12 PM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by Burgy
Buy GMEPP from Dennis, and get service from Les Stanford in Dearborn.
Thank you. Purchased a warranty from from Dennis today, and will head to Dearborn next time I need service. Was out tonight and the targa top is squeaking so I’ll probably be making the trip soon.

It’s too bad the GM Proving Grounds doesn’t offer service on Corvettes. I live a mile from there, and it would be a cool perk.

Last edited by BMF82; 04-27-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:21 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Expanded warranties are an instrument instituted to make dealerships, banks and anyone that sells them money!
Don’t be a sucker and buy one!
that goes for ANY extended warranty scheme...

Last edited by vxplt; 04-27-2018 at 10:22 PM.
robertf97 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

In your opinion. MANY would also disagree with you!

Originally Posted by vxplt
Expanded warranties are an instrument instituted to make dealerships, banks and anyone that sells them money!
Don’t be a sucker and buy one!
that goes for ANY extended warranty scheme...

Get notified of new replies

To Downside of GM Extended Warranty?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
In your opinion. MANY would also disagree with you!
You are their perfect target😉
Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 PM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Boohoo...find a better dealer. It’s not like any of the run of the mill mechanic shops have EVER worked on a C7. There are three dealers here in Portland who know and can work on C7s so you must live in bum_uck no where not to have a GM dealer that has worked on C7s.
boohoo? Really? What are you some sort of internet forum bully?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:38 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Whatever! Nobody would ever change your mind since you are such a genius. Everyone has different experiences with car breakdowns and warranties. Lets get real here this is just a Chevy and it will break down. This is a very complex car with very expensive repairs. Its other peoples money so why would you even care!

Originally Posted by vxplt

You are their perfect target😉
Rebel Yell (04-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Downside of GM Extended Warranty?