Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of an era

Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default The end of an era

See post #5 in C8 section for full article: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-cover.html

The important fact is NO MORE MANUAL. So C7 is the end of the road for:
1) Front engine
2) Manual tranny
3) Amazingly practical trunk space
4) Good cabin visibility (probably)
5) Targa roof (nowhere to stow it when removed)
5) An American icon.

The C8 will be faster, and in 3 years when the 800+200hp monster (ZR1) comes out it will be all sorts of super fast and cost less than other super fast cars.

I will keep my manual! Future C8 owners, enjoy your cars.

If your preferences are like mine, get an order in for a C7 ASAP. Production will likely end around January.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-28-2018 at 03:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Palantirion:
Jimbob26 (05-16-2018), ptran00 (06-26-2018)

Popular Reply

04-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,966 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The C7 moved so far away from what the traditional lines of a Corvette have looked like that it bears no resemblance to the "American Icon" Corvette had become.
Really? Based on what? I’d say the Corvette has “evolved” quite nicely while remaining relevant and exciting.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:33 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree with some of your list but I'm not sure I'd agree that the C7 has good cabin visibility. And I think that the Corvette will remain an American icon, just one that has evolved.

I had a manual, mid-engine NSX without a targa top and it was a great car that was fun to drive.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-28-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:20 AM
Doug18
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully they do keep the targa top with a place to stow it, that is one of my favorite features.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug18:
Gotta-Qik-C7 (04-29-2018), repo czar (04-28-2018), timmyZ06 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:53 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

The C7 moved so far away from what the traditional lines of a Corvette have looked like that it bears no resemblance to the "American Icon" Corvette had become. The C8 just continues that line where it's just going to look like another European sports car. I give kudo's to Porsche where they've found that way to evolve and yet still maintain the look where you immediately know it's a Porsche.

Losing any trunk space kills it as anything other than a bar hopper.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
449er (04-29-2018), ZERRY 316 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

I was going to leave this post alone, until I saw this part:

Originally Posted by Palantirion
If your preferences are like mine, get an order in for a C7 ASAP. Production will likely end around January.
All of the other things aside, there is absolutely no way production for the C7 is going to straight up end in January of 2019 barring an unexpected plant shutdown; in which case, no Corvettes will be built at all.

I'll say the same thing I said when people were expecting the C8 to be out as we speak, yet were still expecting a 2018 NAIAS reveal three weeks before the event this year (even though that concept of thinking was borderline asinine + no hints of GM saying anything Corvette related at the time except the ZR1) only to be disappointed: If GM reveals this vehicle at the NAIAS which is actually possible in 2019, the C7 is not getting discontinued in the same month. A more likely month (if it was to happen) would be around March or maybe April of 2019.

Last edited by Judgment Day; 04-28-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
I was going to leave this post alone, until I saw this part:

All of the other things aside, there is absolutely no way production for the C7 is going to straight up end in January of 2019 barring an unexpected plant shutdown; in which case, no Corvettes will be built at all.

I'll say the same thing I said when people were expecting the C8 to be out as we speak, yet were still expecting a 2018 NAIAS reveal three weeks before the event this year (even though that concept of thinking was borderline asinine + no hints of GM saying anything Corvette related at the time except the ZR1) only to be disappointed: If GM reveals this vehicle at the NAIAS which is actually possible in 2019, the C7 is not getting discontinued in the same month. A more likely month (if it was to happen) would be around March or maybe April of 2019.

I dunno, FORD dropped a bombshell about ending production of most of their line of cars this week.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
Virtual Geezer (04-30-2018), woodsguy (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

The C7 moved so far away from what the traditional lines of a Corvette have looked like that it bears no resemblance to the "American Icon" Corvette had become. The C8 just continues that line where it's just going to look like another European sports car. I give kudo's to Porsche where they've found that way to evolve and yet still maintain the look where you immediately know it's a Porsche.

Losing any trunk space kills it as anything other than a bar hopper.
I do not agree, I felt the C4 looked nothing like a Corvette. The C5 and C6 only looked slightly like a Corvette. They just did not have the arched front wheel wheel wells and raised hood section like the C3.

The C7 front end really made me think C3 and was the first new Corvette I had to have. I have had several 80 and older Corvettes and I am on my Second C7.

Will save judgement on the C8 until I see it in person.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dave80C3:
beaversstonehaven (05-20-2018), harmonyp (05-20-2018), JimNeedsC7 (05-19-2018), RFBHD (04-28-2018), robertf97 (04-30-2018), UsernameProtected (04-29-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:49 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

I dunno, FORD dropped a bombshell about ending production of most of their line of cars this week.
^ Yeah, that was some interesting news about Ford. But I think in the interests of promoting the vehicle, you kinda want to get the vehicle out there in order for the consumer to plan, budget, and prepare. Looking at the C7 timeline (I might have my months wrong here and there) but the first official announcement of the C7 by GM was back in either October or November of 2012 followed a reveal at the NAIAS in January 2013. C6 production ended around 6 weeks later, and the C7 was born a few months later.

Even for the diehards, you can't just be like "here's our new generational vehicle" in its very first public statement "oh and by the way, it's out right now - stop the presses on the C7 tonight". That gives no room, no official promotional tool, no marketing or hype for the Johnny Come Latelys to anticipate for. You can always make an announcement on a discontinued product because...well...it's discontinued, hence the immediate Ford publication.

Remember, the ball doesn't get rolling until we hear directly from GM, Ford, or whoever gives everything the green light. And if we did, it's going to take a number of months in order for that January C7 prediction to hold. I still stand by my March prediction, especially if GM makes its announcement around the October-November mark (similar to the C7 and C7 ZR1). At the earliest, Feb 28th.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
The C5 and C6 only looked slightly like a Corvette. They just did not have the arched front wheel wheel wells and raised hood section like the C3.

Will save judgement on the C8 until I see it in person.
When outside looking at my C6, you really don't see any arched front wheel well, then you get behind the wheel and look out, you really notice them.

Agree, will save judgement on the C8. At this point I am beginning to wonder if there won't be two simultaneous lines of Corvette being offered, a FE and an ME with each being catered to a specific market. The ME design really opens the door to the hard core performance audience with the very real possibility of going AWD with hybrid power.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

When outside looking at my C6, you really don't see any arched front wheel well, then you get behind the wheel and look out, you really notice them.

Agree, will save judgement on the C8. At this point I am beginning to wonder if there won't be two simultaneous lines of Corvette being offered, a FE and an ME with each being catered to a specific market. The ME design really opens the door to the hard core performance audience with the very real possibility of going AWD with hybrid power.
It really appears that the ME and FE will be available for 2~3 years at the same time. I feel the ME will draw in others that were not Corvette people to begin with. That said it will also draw a lot of long time corvette fans. AWD would be great especially if power levels keep increasing.

I also think the C7 ZR1 will be drawing some hard core performance people in, that had never considered a corvette in the past.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
It really appears that the ME and FE will be available for 2~3 years at the same time. I feel the ME will draw in others that were not Corvette people to begin with. That said it will also draw a lot of long time corvette fans. AWD would be great especially if power levels keep increasing.

I just read about the overlap. That explains a lot if correct. The ME will, if it comes out of the chute without any major problems, is a huge game changer, If you take ZR1 horsepower and put it in a weight balanced ME vehicle, the racing world of Ferrari, Porsche and Ford are in serious trouble.

I am curious as to will the C8 be supercharged, or move to twin turbos.....
Old 04-28-2018, 07:06 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

The C7 moved so far away from what the traditional lines of a Corvette have looked like that it bears no resemblance to the "American Icon" Corvette had become.
What's your frame of reference? C7 profile is pretty much identical to C6 which is pretty much identical to C5. Surface development is different, but the basic layout is pretty much the same despite changes to construction from steel to aluminum frame, changes (evolutionary) to running gear.

We've been waiting for the mid-engined Corvette since the 1960s, I think. It may be a game changer, but styling almost certainly will be evolutionary, and I would be surprised if they haven't given thought to targa top and room for luggage/golf clubs.

And of course, there are thousands and thousands of older Corvettes out there at very reasonable cost for those who want the older layout.

The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:32 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 122 Posts

See post #5 in C8 section for full article: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-cover.html

1) Front engine
2) Manual tranny
5) An American icon.

The C8 will be faster, and in 3 years when the 800+200hp monster (ZR1) comes out it will be all sorts of super fast and cost less than other super fast cars.

I'll stick with my 2017!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

1) Front engine
2) Manual tranny
5) An American icon.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

I still do not think the ME will be the only Corvette option, I think the FE will still be offered for a few years. In any case I will not lose any sleep over the possibilities and will enjoy what I have.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,544 Likes on 5,536 Posts

IMO, discussions as to exactly what the new C8 is going to be and the fate of the C7 is premature at this point, especially any based on a magazine article that's prime purpose is to sell magazines.

I would suggest waiting on getting yourselves all stirred up until there's an "official" announcement from GM.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-28-2018 at 08:11 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
beaversstonehaven (05-20-2018), LanceVette (04-28-2018), mammoth713 (04-30-2018), Rebel Yell (04-28-2018), Red C8 of Jax (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:11 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Time moves on, The current Impala looks nothing like the vintage ones. Anyone remember the original Hondas, 'Toyotas, Datsuns, Ford sedans, Chryslers, etc.....

The Corvette is distinctive enough, for all but the least informed to recognize as a Vette.
The following 3 users liked this post by Phanni:
Bavaria (04-28-2018), DWS44 (04-28-2018), Kevin A Jones (04-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The end of an era

Old 04-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
What's your frame of reference? C7 profile is pretty much identical to C6 which is pretty much identical to C5. Surface development is different,

It's the "surface development" (love that term) that's the big difference. The aerodynamic evolution had to take place to stay current with the Europeans. Very curious to see the C8 up close, as we all are.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I still do not think the ME will be the only Corvette option, I think the FE will still be offered for a few years. In any case I will not lose any sleep over the possibilities and will enjoy what I have.
I don't see how Bowling Green can keep the doors open just producing a ME car. I think there will be a FE and ME C8 after the C7. With the recent updates at Bowling Green they can produce two different types of vehicles at the same time. If they only produce a ME corvette I'm glad I have my C-7.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 AM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Are we 100% on the no more manual transmission.... If this is true... I might lean more towards a hurracan than a c8 corvette... I deff wont be trading in my z06 like i initially thought i would... If there is no more manual, i will deff shop around instead of just ordering one like i initially planned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The end of an era