C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I drill a hole in the hidden compartment?

Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Can I drill a hole in the hidden compartment?

2019 GS, 2LT, A8.

I want to install my Magellan 3065T-LM GPS behind the screen inside of the hidden compartment. The USB port does not have enough amperage to power/charge the unit so I intend to hardwire a 12V-5V power cord to the receptacle just below and to the right of the screen. Yes, I know that a Garmin will run off of the USB port but the Magellan works well, picks up all satellites when inside of the compartment and I'd rather not have to buy another GPS.

My question is - can I safely drill a 1/4" hole through the front, lower right side (when facing) of the compartment wall without damaging anything on the other side?

Any advice from those with specific knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards
Ross
Old 04-30-2018, 11:26 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

How'd you determine that the USB port in the back can't power it?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't know if this helps, but here's a picture of what it looks like with the dash cover removed.

The following users liked this post:
cdnrx1 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:46 AM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
How'd you determine that the USB port in the back can't power it?
Hi Dave:

The Magellan's power requirement is 5V @ 1A. The measured output from all 3 USB ports in the car is 5V @ 500MA which is not enough current to reliably power the GPS. It will work on occasion but mostly goes into data mode. Yes, I have a proper 5 pin USB Mini power/charge cord.

For comparison, my Mazda CX-5 puts out 5V @ 900MA and the Magellan works fine.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a control head for a FTH-400 in that location.

Remove the small dome light on the top of the inside... you can fish a wire across the top, then down into the center stack. Make a notch off to the side for the wire - so you can re-install the light

cdnrx1 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I have a control head for a FTH-400 in that location.

Remove the small dome light on the top of the inside... you can fish a wire across the top, then down into the center stack. Make a notch off to the side for the wire - so you can re-install the light

Thanks Mike, that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for. I'm assuming that the dome light can be popped out with an interior trim/pry tool?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnrx1
Thanks Mike, that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for. I'm assuming that the dome light can be popped out with an interior trim/pry tool?
It's been a few years, forget the specifics; but it does pull down from inside the cubby-hole.
cdnrx1 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 12:30 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Personally I'd rather use AA.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,600 Likes on 6,614 Posts

Hi Dave:

The Magellan's power requirement is 5V @ 1A. The measured output from all 3 USB ports in the car is 5V @ 500MA which is not enough current to reliably power the GPS. It will work on occasion but mostly goes into data mode. Yes, I have a proper 5 pin USB Mini power/charge cord.

For comparison, my Mazda CX-5 puts out 5V @ 900MA and the Magellan works fine.
My Garmin states in specs 10 Watts Max. On a 5 volt USB that is 2 amps max BUT that may be peak inrush when stating if it every draws that much! It operates fine and charges when in my cubby attached to that USB!

FWIW. Garmin works fine plugged into the USB behind it BUT...
I am now using Apple CarPlay and like it much better! Fills the Vette screen and sound comes thru the car speakers!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-30-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Mike Mercury (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Z QQH 6
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

^^^ What & where did you use for power cord?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-30-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z QQH 6
What & where did you use for power cord?
This is a PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/GPS_In_Cubby.pdf

As it states:

Garmin USB Cable Details:
Found this info on the net re the USB cable:
"GPS devices such as Garmin come equipped with a USB cable. It's primarily intended for connecting the GPS to a computer, enabling users to install or back up new maps, points of interest, and tracks or routes. The supplied USB cable won't power the GPS directly, but there are alternative methods.
Various companies manufacture aftermarket chargers and cables wired to power Garmin GPS devices."
The power cord I use that plugs into the USB in the cubby was sent to me by a Forum Member: Redband USB Cable for Garmin Novi Power 9 inches Long. Part number 202-0063-09

Last edited by JerryU; 04-30-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Z QQH 6 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:25 PM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Originally Posted by JerryU
My Garmin states in specs 10 Watts Max. On a 5 volt USB that is 2 amps max BUT that may be peak inrush when stating if it every draws that much! It operates fine and charges when in my cubby attached to that USB!

FWIW. Garmin works fine plugged into the USB behind it BUT...
I am now using Apple CarPlay and like it much better! Fills the Vette screen and sound comes thru the car speakers!
Thanks Jerry, I always appreciate your insight. In fact, your PDF gave me the idea to install the portable GPS in the hidden compartment. I've read them all. You were also very helpful in providing a good street alignment set-up for my new GS.

Your right, the differences between the Garmin and the Magellan are in the minimum/maximum specs. According to Magellan, they do not recommend connecting their devices to USB because they require a continuous minimum of 1A to power and charge. They went on to explain to me that they do not sell a USB power/charge cord for this exact reason. This was proven by connecting the GPS to my Mazda's USB port (900MA) and it worked. It doesn't work in the GS because it puts out only 500MA. So, no problem, I'll hardwire a 12V-5V cord to the 12V receptacle below the center stack.

As always, I really appreciate your input. You're one of the most helpful guys on this forum.

Best regards
Ross
JerryU (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^

Thanks Ross! Not always right and when I screw-up try to say why. Just another DIYer like most on the forum!
Jerry

Last edited by JerryU; 04-30-2018 at 04:33 PM.
cdnrx1 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:03 PM
Seldoon
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

GPS stands for global positioning system. It tells you where you are. It does not provide any guidance. I assume you mean a navigation system using GPS or GPS navigation. A navigation system DOES tell you how to go. Of course for it to do that it needs to know where you are currently, hence the GPS. Like referring to a car by calling it your wheel when in fact the wheel is only a part of the car.
devnull (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:26 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is the only way to go. You can use Google Maps or better yet Waze to project on the car's screen. Just plug it into the USB port behind the screen and it comes right up. Can also use it for music, podcasts, etc. No holes to drill. And the maps are always up to date. Sound comes from car's speakers.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Velocity
Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is the only way to go. You can use Google Maps or better yet Waze to project on the car's screen. Just plug it into the USB port behind the screen and it comes right up. Can also use it for music, podcasts, etc. No holes to drill. And the maps are always up to date. Sound comes from car's speakers.
you save me a bunch of typing. this is a no brainer, but it appears only you and i know this
Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Seldoon
GPS stands for global positioning system. It tells you where you are. It does not provide any guidance. I assume you mean a navigation system using GPS or GPS navigation. A navigation system DOES tell you how to go. Of course for it to do that it needs to know where you are currently, hence the GPS. Like referring to a car by calling it your wheel when in fact the wheel is only a part of the car.
Oh my gosh! I used the wrong term!

Bet on a recent consulting assignment you, like the VP of this large fabricator, would have no idea that epitaxial growth of silicon in a submerged arc flux was causing the solidified slag to be chemically attached to the steel weld in the >500 foot heavy wall wind tower! Made it hard to remove!

I chuckled when we visited another one of their plants also having flux sticking problems, the VP asked me to describe epitaxial growth to the plant manager and welding engineer!

As many on the forum, cars are a hobby, now welding is another story!

Actually I was going to refer to GPS but did not want to make that post longer (unusual for me!) I keep both the Garmin and use Apple CarPlay because the Garmin gets it's position info directly from GPS satellites where my iPhone needs a cell tower! In our rural area we can lose cell tower service! Should have made it a longer post as usual!

Yep I might refer to my car as wheels! On "Wheeler Dealers" TV Show, Mike often refers to cars as "engines!" Do have to listen carefully to understand the context to see if he is referring to an "engines" motor or a cars engine! Yep he also refers to an electric and gasoline powered device as a motor! But then he calls door panels "door cards." In the UK they also have boots and bonnets!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-01-2018 at 07:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
BlueFinn (05-01-2018), Ranger5 (05-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Can I drill a hole in the hidden compartment?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 AM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Velocity
Because of restrictions on third party apps, Google Maps and Waze doesn't work with Apple CarPlay afaik. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know how to do it.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

^^^But they will work with Android Auto.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Hi Dave:

I am NOT a USB expert but I think the current is negotiated somehow and defaults otherwise.

Normally I can pull an easy 2.1A from a USB port when charging an iPad. I wonder if .9 is the default current rate?

I have an inline current meter, I could hook it up in there and see what I get, I'll let you know if i get a second!

Last edited by davepl; 05-01-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I drill a hole in the hidden compartment?