C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:05 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Haven't had a front plate on any car since 1989 in Commiefornia and Nevada, and despite being stopped a half dozen times for "spirited driving", including a couple of citations, it has never been an issue...
That said, since 'vettes are a higher profile car, I installed a Sho N Go, and keep the plate in the back of the car "just in case"... I figure that in the low probability that a LEO notices and makes it an issue, my response will be "Thanks, officer. I recently was at a car show (or just washed or detailed the car) and removed it, and forgot to reinstall it", at which time I'll retrieve and install it. Worst case is a fix it ticket, but chances are it will get a pass.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 05-01-2018 at 01:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Micheal Henry (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:11 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I got tired of being stopped and getting "fix it" tickets.... I knew after a few of those were chalked up that I'd get the real deal.

And, too, I can't see the plate from the driver's seat.....
Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Even within a particular state, LE priorities are different. Syracuse is different than NYC. The same is true in many other places. There are non-trivial reasons for a front plate law, as I described above.

Almost everywhere else in the developed world, no one would even consider running without a front plate, and the consequences of trying are very severe. That's where we're headed in the US as well. Those of you obsessed with how great life is without, enjoy it while you can. I'm not particularly bothered by the front plate on the car, but I'm also not particularly OC.
I agree, the priorities are different, and downstate may be more **** than they are here. I'd say that in this area in general "maybe" 30% of the sports/muscle cars run a front plate, Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers, Porsches, Camaros as well as the Suburu WRX and Mitsubishi Evo Nissan GTR/Z car crew. I know a lot of LEO's and none can give me a good answer why such a law exists, and none will admit to ever stopping a car for only that reason, it's always been in addition to something of a moving variety. Personally, I just don't like the look, but if I do end up putting one on, at least the C7Z bracket looks made for the car, unlike the "add-on" look of the bracket for my previous C6 GS.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I gave you a good reason in post #18 above. I suppose the LEOs you've spoken to in your area are lucky enough at present to not have to worry about such things.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

LOL . . . yes, perhaps, but just marveling at the lack of understanding that many of us do have that problem, and the endless stories from those who do not. The "don't do it" advice from those in such places is, of course, completely worthless, and it shows a total lack of awareness that things are not always the same where you live.

I do happen to live in an area where law enforcement constantly worries about terrorist attacks, and justifiably so. Cameras and plate readers are everywhere. So yes, you can call it trivial, but it doesn't seem so trivial to those of us who live here or to the law enforcement professionals who try to keep us all safe. I can't speak for other states, but it is clear that others have similar priorities.
No offense meant, but it is not worthless to the OP. I am in WA and he is in OR. We cross state lines all the time. No issues. I was surprised when I got my 2013 ZL1, I said heck with it. And so far no issues. Again, no offense, but what is worthless is your opinion from an area that isn't relevant to many places in the US.

Last edited by djnice; 05-01-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:31 AM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Front plate

i too live in Oregon. Bought a vette last mo. Had the same worrie about the front plate. We have a choice risk a no plate ticket, or mount a plate. So far I’ve risked it, with no issues. But it’s always on my mind, especially when I cross paths with the law. Thought about a removable mount, looked at electric, still don’t have a front plate, 1578 mi. I don’t give them a reason to stop me, I drive along with traffic. I don’t street race, or hot rod in town or even close. You get two plate mounts, the ugly one and the uglier one. If I use one it will be the one with corvette on it, the least ugliest. The hid away plate holders are no use to me I don’t show my car, when there up or on there still ugly imo. I’ve taken notice of every vette I see, looking for a front plate, so far 100% no plates here around Salem, Portland. Soooo who knows.
The following 2 users liked this post by Taevon lee:
JDMilw (05-06-2018), oregonsharkman (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I got tired of being stopped and getting "fix it" tickets.... I knew after a few of those were chalked up that I'd get the real deal.

And, too, I can't see the plate from the driver's seat.....
This is a good point. If you are somewhere that they stop for no plate than might as well install it. In that case, I don't know how to make it look good.

Last edited by djnice; 05-01-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:40 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I gave you a good reason in post #18 above. I suppose the LEOs you've spoken to in your area are lucky enough at present to not have to worry about such things.
Plenty of plate readers and traffic cams here too, so I'm sure big bro is aware of my indiscretion. It's everyone's personal choice, I'm just offering my experiences like the OP asked, and if it becomes an issue and they tell me to put one on, I'll put one on.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

If it can be on or off in 2 seconds like the Sto-N-Sho linked above, what's the big deal? You don't even have look at it, while parked in your favorite viewing area, and you sure as hell don't see it while driving your car, which is what you should be focused upon.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 AM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Although Hawaii requires a front plate and are lax about enforcement I have to run with a front plate since I frequent many of the military bases on Oahu and they can and will sometimes refuse you entry if you don't have a front plate. Marines are the most lax with the Air Force being sticklers. I sucked it up and went with a Top Flight
Attached Images   
oregonsharkman (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Good looking mount. If they start stopping us around here that's a very nice option.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:31 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I lived in Portland Oregon when I bought my Vette in December of 2015. I got a no front plate ticket 2 months later!
Cost me, if I remember correctly, $165.
Everyone had told me I'd never get cited.
Where I live now they don't require one.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

They don't enforce the front tag law in NY or NJ very much if at all.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

VA requires them....so naturally I refuse to put it on

They can suck on my don't tread on me plates.

Last edited by RyanC7; 05-01-2018 at 06:35 AM.
vbdenny (05-08-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts

LOL . . . yes, perhaps, but just marveling at the lack of understanding that many of us do have that problem, and the endless stories from those who do not. The "don't do it" advice from those in such places is, of course, completely worthless, and it shows a total lack of awareness that things are not always the same where you live.

I do happen to live in an area where law enforcement constantly worries about terrorist attacks, and justifiably so. Cameras and plate readers are everywhere. So yes, you can call it trivial, but it doesn't seem so trivial to those of us who live here or to the law enforcement professionals who try to keep us all safe. I can't speak for other states, but it is clear that others have similar priorities.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts

No problem with mine at all. Required in NJ so I run it.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

The "don't do it" advice from those in such places is, of course, completely worthless, and it shows a total lack of awareness that things are not always the same where you live.
Foosh, you seem very passionate about this subject, but considering how many of us are located between the coasts (in fly-over country) might it be you that has the ‘total lack of awareness” of reality outside your immediate area? Just a thought.

Show me this law on a federal level and there is a conversation to be had. But given the states flip-flop every other state line, requiring it or not (and not penalizing out of staters from a “not-required” state) it seems pointless to preach to this as an absolute.

Get notified of new replies

To What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,470 Likes on 741 Posts

I cut down the aero plate holder and got a rubber plate frame from Amazon for 5.00. I do not put it on my car but have it just in case i need it. In New York i have not run a front plate for over 20 years and have never be stopped !!!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 AM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Another Colorado person here. I don't run front plates but I do have them inside the car out of the way for those times that I park on the streets in Denver or Boulder where the meter readers often issue tickets for no front plates. When I park on those streets, I stick the plate in the front windshield passenger side. The regulation does not state a min or max height plates must be mounted and I've never gotten a ticket in those two cities for the plate not being mounted.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Minnesota requires a front license plate, but I am on my third season without one. I tend to see other sports cars forgoing them around here. I do, however, keep the front plate in the trunk mounted to the Zip removable license plate mount. This is a nice mount--even when it's on it looks OK. I am thinking (hoping) I might get a break if I am stopped. Here is a LINK to the holder.

Quick Reply: What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?