C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:59 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . sure, here's what many of us use for most C7s without the more radical front splitters. Your question about solutions was a good one, but the testimonials from others stating "my state requires one, but I never had a problem" was the silly part. There are many places where you WILL have a problem if you don't run one. I prefer not to be pulled over for trivial things like that, and it's not just a "fix it" ticket.

http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/...-plate-bracket
I use the Stow N Sho on my stage 1 Z06, and can still run the stretch bra as well. Easy to remove and install, after I ground on both ends and the catch mechanism so that I can remove and install without pulling the pin
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
The people’s republic of Illinois requires a front plate, but I have never used one in 20+ years of Camaros and Corvettes. I’ve been pulled over a few times for speeding, but I have never gotten a ticket for the front plate.
I'm in Chicago burbs too. Bought my C6 used & it had a bracket. Went to many car meets & I think I was the only guy running a front plate. No way I was putting one on the Z that I just got. Got detoured because of a running race recently and had to drive slowly past many cops. They didn't say anything.

Last edited by Carvin; 05-01-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:01 AM
c7mike
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front plate

i have been driving a corvette from 1993
i have never got a ticket
intel yesterday
Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Foosh, you seem very passionate about this subject, but considering how many of us are located between the coasts (in fly-over country) might it be you that has the ‘total lack of awareness” of reality outside your immediate area? Just a thought.

Show me this law on a federal level and there is a conversation to be had. But given the states flip-flop every other state line, requiring it or not (and not penalizing out of staters from a “not-required” state) it seems pointless to preach to this as an absolute.
You have completely misunderstood my comments. I understand full well that's it's not enforced in most places. I'd prefer not to have the front plate either, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of purchasing a bracket that I can take on and off in 2 seconds.

What is annoying is the "don't do it" folks who seem to think just because it's not an issue for them, it's not for anyone else.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Trimming the stock grille mount is still a good option...Doesn't block as much air as you might think since it can still flow around all sides of the plate..

The following 2 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
oregonsharkman (05-01-2018), wrecker3 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I do happen to live in an area where law enforcement constantly worries about terrorist attacks, and justifiably so. Cameras and plate readers are everywhere. So yes, you can call it trivial, but it doesn't seem so trivial to those of us who live here or to the law enforcement professionals who try to keep us all safe. I can't speak for other states, but it is clear that others have similar priorities.
How, exactly, does having a front license plate on a car prevent terrorist attacks or "keep us all safe?" That's hyperbole at its best right there.

You do realize that 38% of states in the U.S. don't issue or require a front plate, and the people who live there are, if anything, less susceptible to a terrorist attack than where you live, right?

You're obviously very passionate about this topic, but preaching about the value of a front plate in preventing terrorists attacks and "keeping us all safe" aren't valid reasons for a front plate. Not even close.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Cameras and license plate readers everywhere. A BOLO goes out on a plate number, and it can be located relatively quickly in the DC metro area. Visible front plates greatly increase the hit rate. What I'm conveying is there is a logical reason for the very strict enforcement in major metropolitan areas. It isn't for trivial reasons as preached by some.

As an interesting aside, there was a TV reality show that ran last summer where contestants could win a large cash prize if they evaded capture from a team of experienced former FBI and intelligence community investigators. 9 out of 10 were captured, some relatively quickly. About half of those were captured primarily by camera/license plate readers.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-01-2018 at 10:37 AM.
FZ1 (09-07-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:29 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/...-plate-bracket[/QUOTE]

Some nice solution here. Thanks for the link
Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Cameras and license plate readers everywhere. A BOLO goes out on a plate number, and it can be located relatively quickly in the DC metro area. Visible front plates greatly increase the hit rate.
That didn't answer my question, but thanks for the reply.

I choose to not live where there are "cameras and license plate readers everywhere" watching and tracking everyone. YMMV.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Taevon lee
i too live in Oregon. Bought a vette last mo. Had the same worrie about the front plate. We have a choice risk a no plate ticket, or mount a plate. So far I’ve risked it, with no issues. But it’s always on my mind, especially when I cross paths with the law. Thought about a removable mount, looked at electric, still don’t have a front plate, 1578 mi. I don’t give them a reason to stop me, I drive along with traffic. I don’t street race, or hot rod in town or even close. You get two plate mounts, the ugly one and the uglier one. If I use one it will be the one with corvette on it, the least ugliest. The hid away plate holders are no use to me I don’t show my car, when there up or on there still ugly imo. I’ve taken notice of every vette I see, looking for a front plate, so far 100% no plates here around Salem, Portland. Soooo who knows.
Good info Taevon - I am in the Salem/Portland area as well.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:47 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
I would prefer not to mount a license plate on my soon to arrive 2019 GS, but unfortunately in Oregon it is mandatory....

Are there any ways to keep a front plate from looking crappy? Pictures?

Any luck running without a front plate (for a long time) in a state that requires it?
Over 30 years here in the peoples republic of NY. Got told a couple times to put it on. Possibly one of these days I will get a ticket. Oh I travel a bit out of state and never had a plate problem! I do keep the plate in the trunk sometimes they want to see it, what they seemed to be concerned about is the missing plate on another car!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

When I bought my latest Vette after over a ten year absence from owning a Vette, I saw the threads here about this topic and started to worry since I had never placed one on my Vettes in the past.

Then, I realized my crummy car that I've been driving for the past ten years didn't have one on it either.

For the past few weeks, when I think about it, I do a little informal visual poll of cars that "do" and those that "don't" during my commutes. In my local area, it appears that around 1 out of 6 cars don't run a front plate and that skews heavily towards sports cars and other high-end vehicles.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
In my local area, it appears that around 1 out of 6 cars don't run a front plate and that skews heavily towards sports cars and other high-end vehicles.
That goes double for Lexus. That gigantic grill must make it awkward to mount a front plate. I would say a majority of (modern) Lexus cars I see don't have a front plate. I did see one put on with like zip ties that was hanging at an odd angle.

The same it true for some of the new pickup trucks with the oversized front grill designs.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:51 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I got away with this for over a year in MA. Never had trouble. People frequently give me the thumbs up on the front plate too lol

Old 05-01-2018, 11:59 AM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

I was in the same boat and after some research and talking to people on this forum; this is the best one I found. It requires no drilling (I have a Z06) and super easy to take off and on. It is patent pending. Wish I would have have invented it. It's a great design. It is expensive but should last a lifetime. I highly recommend it.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...-only-611843-1
oregonsharkman (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I never ran one in Virginia. I got 2 $75 tickets in 15 years. Worth it to me. I recently moved to Florida where they are smart enough to realize it's not needed.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy
I was in the same boat and after some research and talking to people on this forum; this is the best one I found. It requires no drilling (I have a Z06) and super easy to take off and on. It is patent pending. Wish I would have have invented it. It's a great design. It is expensive but should last a lifetime. I highly recommend it.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...-only-611843-1
It certainly wouldn't hurt to do this and keep it in the hatch if it can pop on or off.

Get notified of new replies

To What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:25 PM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I would prefer not to mount a license plate on my soon to arrive 2019 GS, but unfortunately in Oregon it is mandatory....

Are there any ways to keep a front plate from looking crappy? Pictures?

Any luck running without a front plate (for a long time) in a state that requires it?
My 6th vette and that plate has never had suicidal bugs on it, it stays on the shelf in the garage. I'll pay the civil disobedience misdemeanor fine if necessary.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:28 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I used to keep the plastic bumper cover on my C4 with the plate under it. One time at a gas station a cop asked about my missing front plate so I popped the cover off and that was it.

I've never been asked on my C6 or my C7. So that's one comment about it in 25 years!

Granted, I've never been pulled over (for anything, ever) so I don't know if they'd write me up for the plate if I got pulled over for something else, but to date no one has pulled me over for just the plate.

Last edited by davepl; 05-01-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecker3
I cut down the aero plate holder and got a rubber plate frame from Amazon for 5.00. I do not put it on my car but have it just in case i need it. In New York i have not run a front plate for over 20 years and have never be stopped !!!
I am hoping that all new C7 vettes still come with the Aero Plate. My 2019 Z06 vert will be built on May 9th. I am hoping to trim it down and use as so many here already have.

Quick Reply: What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?