C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
In southern NY, they might go out of their way just to pull you over:
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...top-1.18420320 Yesterday, a group of 18 Ferrari's from one of the local clubs was heading east on Long Island and stopped - 11 summons for plate and/or window tint violations. The same thing happens to Corvette owners going out to Captree on Sunday mornings. Most of those people, like you, are older and not driving faster than traffic. I am very happy GM has the aeroplate - it looks so much better than what we hade for the C6.

Only one moving violation out of 18 cars - Why was that newsworthy?? - all nuisance tickets plates and tint. We are targets because of what we drive why give ammunition
Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
In southern NY, they might go out of their way just to pull you over:
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...top-1.18420320 Yesterday, a group of 18 Ferrari's from one of the local clubs was heading east on Long Island and stopped - 11 summons for plate and/or window tint violations. The same thing happens to Corvette owners going out to Captree on Sunday mornings. Most of those people, like you, are older and not driving faster than traffic. I am very happy GM has the aeroplate - it looks so much better than what we hade for the C6.
Originally Posted by plmmd
Only one moving violation out of 18 cars - Why was that newsworthy?? - all nuisance tickets plates and tint. We are targets because of what we drive why give ammunition
I made comment about that in a earlier post. The further South and the closer you get to NYC the more Mickey Mouse MANY of the LEOs are. That was why on all my numerous trips to Carlisle and Hershey we took I88 to I81 and stayed as far away from NYC type bullshit as we could. Up in Northern NY where I reside no front plate for the most part (at least as far as Vettes are concerned) is a none issue.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I've driven in Texas for 40 years without front plates, but no more. I got pulled over in my FJ last weekend for no front plate, and with the new law change that makes it a $200 fine, I've finally relented. Too many local (mostly smaller) municipalities are cashing in and you can't drive more than 10 minutes in any direction without passing through another city.

No more "fix it" ticket in Texas, you get ticketed, you pay.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Superstar555
Racer

Originally Posted by TXSteveF
Didn't read all the comments so if this is redundant, sorry. I'm in Texas and it's required but many friends are LEO's and as they say, I don't fit the profile so they won't pull me over for just no front plate. Haven't had a plate on my GS for a year, no issues. After two tickets I might think about it. 😎

If you live and stay in the larger cities, you (and your buddy) are correct. No one will pull you for a front plate violation.

The problem becomes when you LEAVE the big city. Many of the smaller surrounding cities need the revenue and will post a LEO on the weekend to do nothing but write front-plate tickets.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:08 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecker3

WINNER Now that might be installed...If Taxachusetts had them...Maybe

Last edited by DALE#3; 05-07-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I live in VA so I have a front plate and the state troopers can be a pain sometimes. But one thing I havent seen as a reason for having the plate where its required is this. You may not be doing anything wrong but have a had a couple of drinks but not drunk a cop sees your car with out a plate he has a reason to stop you and if smells alcohol on your breath when he talks to you you may be in some trouble.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:28 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

So sorry, guys. I live in Michigan. I believe that the only way to get a front plate here is to buy a vanity plate, and then pay a little bit more for a second plate to go on the front of the car.

On the other hand, insurance rates are terrible, probably highest in the nation.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Superstar555
I've driven in Texas for 40 years without front plates, but no more. I got pulled over in my FJ last weekend for no front plate, and with the new law change that makes it a $200 fine, I've finally relented. Too many local (mostly smaller) municipalities are cashing in and you can't drive more than 10 minutes in any direction without passing through another city.

No more "fix it" ticket in Texas, you get ticketed, you pay.

Never been stopped in town. But first time I got out my county I was stopped by highway patrol. DPS is bad and will right tickets.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Thank God Arizona has no front plates!!!
Old 05-08-2018, 12:00 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I had it off for 2 years then a new sheriff in town gave me a warning but next time it's a summons. Yep I put it on because I pass him all the time.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1-
If you use the factory CORVETTE grill mount, drill holes for the plate...then carefully bend the plate to fit it looks nice. I would love to go with no plate but I never do anything to invite getting stopped. Imagine if you go to dinner and have 1 glass of wine...get stopped for no front plate...well...you know the rest! Not worth the aggravation.
I have the factory grill mount and was trying to put the plate on but didn't find any holes to mount the plate, why doesn't it have pre-drilled holes?
Old 05-08-2018, 02:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Thank God Arizona has no front plates!!!
Arizona believes in Personal Liberty, unlike Texas...apparently.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The Sto-N-Sho:
The problem with the Sto N Sho, is that I would have accidentally wiped it out in my car's first few months. All it takes is one careless taking of a dip, and the whole thing would be seriously damaged or destroyed, along with the mounting hardware and fairing/air dam. It is just too low to the ground to have a secure long life span in my personal experience. IIRC, it's like what, $60.00+? That's awful pricey. It looks great out there, but too risky to take a chance on.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-08-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I have no front splitter. Even the poverty splitter (Stage 1) has less ground clearance than the Sto-n-Sho on my car. The angle of the photo above has fooled you into thinking it is lower than it is, which is less than an inch lower than the people-catcher fangs.

There's about 18K miles on that license plate bracket above without a single hit. The same bracket was on my '14, and survived almost daily commutes to and from DC, with a lot of steep-angled entries and exits. Of course, if one is really worried about a steep entry or exit, stop and take it off in 1 second, but I've never once had the need to do that.

If you think this is too low, don't even consider adding any splitter of any kind.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-08-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Superstar555
Racer

Originally Posted by fumbling
I have the factory grill mount and was trying to put the plate on but didn't find any holes to mount the plate, why doesn't it have pre-drilled holes?
Because it isn’t a license plate holder, it’s an “aero plate”. Look at it closely and you can see it has a pictogram indicating that it shouldn’t be used as a plate holder. Look even closer and you will see the dimples where you need to drill the holes to mount your plate.

I read somewhere that it doesn’t meet DOT regs for plate height so they can’t offically call it a plate mount.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I'm with Foosh on this one.
It leaves the grill open more but high enough off the ground it won't hit anything.
You'd have to scrape the very bottom of the front bumper to hit where the plate bracket is bolted.
IMO it looks like it belongs there between the fangs
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
You'd have to scrape the very bottom of the front bumper to hit where the plate bracket is bolted.
Which is exactly where I skinned the chin of mine. I have seen the photo of the underside of the chin mounting bracket/s. It would have wiped them out, then sheared off the screw mounts. See photo below. A big surprise when I kissed the angle of the pavement. It sounded worse then the skin indicates.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-08-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?

Old 05-08-2018, 02:14 PM
jonebone
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys, question for you. Do you think this front plate holder was drilled through the bumper? Why wouldn't they have mounted it in the grill... sadface.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

^^^

I don't believe its drilled into the bumper. I have the other style mount and it connects through those holes in the center of the mount. The screws you see are to hold the license plate.
The following users liked this post:
jonebone (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:25 PM
jonebone
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
^^^

I don't believe its drilled into the bumper. I have the other style mount and it connects through those holes in the center of the mount. The screws you see are to hold the license plate.
Ah good point, so relocating the plate wouldn't be too hard in that case. Appreciate it!

Quick Reply: What is everyone doing for front license plates plates?