Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM has the worst customer service ever!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Aenigma
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GM has the worst customer service ever!

I’m in a Vette club and have been ranting on their forums. A suggestion was given to move it here.
The c7 is my fifth Vette, not to count the other c7 I had for 2 days before the back end busted.

My c7 has been at the dealership service since April 14th. The transmission should be replaced but GM only authorizes one bogus check every few days. Still as of today there is no resolution. I have filed complaints with GM but the customer service dept has no connection to the repair dept. All they do is call the dealership to check my status and then call me 2 days after the dealership has given me the same update.

I am so so disappointed in GM. Their service is the pits. And 2 c7s now that busted at the get go. Piles of junk along with GM’s customer service.
The following users liked this post:
robertf97 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

C7s are great cars with the VAST majority providing excellent reliability and outstanding performance. Not sure who you were trying to "win over" on a C7 Enthusiast site by using your intro post to claim they are "piles of junk", but I guess you have your reasons.

Sorry to say that your A8/Service complaint isn't unique. However, there is no 'magic bullet' by venting your spleen here about it, so not sure why anyone suggested an additional post on CorvetteForum would make a difference in your case.

Overall, "Stuff Happens", and happens with every make. GM Service *can* sometimes be very hit-or-miss, so I'd say persevere through this issue and hopefully, you'll be good to go afterwards.
CorvetteForum has a great community of folks, and while not EVERY problem can be solved here, it provides a LOT of info, help, and camaraderie from your fellow enthusiasts.

However, if you're completely soured on GM/Corvette, I'd sell it ASAP and find a different make that won't cause you so much heartburn. Life is too short to let a CAR cause you so much stress.

Hope your problem gets resolved soon, and we see you back here on the other side!
The following 4 users liked this post by Kent1999:
4thC4at60 (05-01-2018), jlbruggeman (07-12-2023), Red C8 of Jax (05-02-2018), vdavenp802 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Aenigma
4th Gear

Kent I’m happy you’ve had a good experience. I’m not trying to win anyone over - I’m not in the followers club and have zero problems standing on my own.
GM has been not helpful at all and my NEW c7 is sitting in a repair shop for 17 days now and instead of pulling the transmission, they spent 2 weeks going back and forth trying little computer adjustments. I know enough to know that those adjustments are only done after a transmission repair and since mine is new, all it did is delay me by 2 weeks. I do NOT want a bandaid to fail later, I want my car fixed correctly.

GM customer service has zero connection with GM repair authorization department. GM cs only calls the dealership to see where they’re at. The dealership is as frustrated as I am. It’s not just my car. The purpose of GM cs is to call the dealership to find out why they aren’t keeping me happy while GM doesn’t do their job.

I dont expect this to make a difference. By your response, I’m thinking you haven’t had to deal with GM in any manner as of yet. 5 vettes Kent, if anyone can sound out about GMs crappy customer service, it’s me. A new car should not be in service, and if they need to be for whatever reason, the manufacturer should not be finding ways to NOT repair them correctly.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:10 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Aenigma
I’m in a Vette club and have been ranting on their forums. A suggestion was given to move it here.
The c7 is my fifth Vette, not to count the other c7 I had for 2 days before the back end busted.

My c7 has been at the dealership service since April 14th. The transmission should be replaced but GM only authorizes one bogus check every few days. Still as of today there is no resolution. I have filed complaints with GM but the customer service dept has no connection to the repair dept. All they do is call the dealership to check my status and then call me 2 days after the dealership has given me the same update.

I am so so disappointed in GM. Their service is the pits. And 2 c7s now that busted at the get go. Piles of junk along with GM’s customer service.
FYI many States allow for a lemon law buy back after 30 consecutive days in service. I'm just saying! Check your States ruling on this.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Aenigma
4th Gear

I didn’t know that. I know in Arizona we have 3 returns before it’s a lemon. I’ll check on the 30 day rule.
I worry because they keep trying the cheap approach. Thankfully their bandaids aren’t working to fix the issue. I don’t want a car eventually out of warranty that I will have to spend a lot to replace the transmission.
In 2 weeks, they’ve done a fast relearn over and over. They have to drive it a lot during this process from what I have read. My c7 I Love is being stored outside, driven a lot during this process and everyone knows what they’re doing isn’t working.

I take care of my cars and this is unacceptable to me.

Last edited by Aenigma; 05-01-2018 at 12:20 PM.
JimNeedsC7 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Got you beat, Aenigma. I'm on Corvette #8, and have been in the Corvette world for almost 30 years, so I've had a *few* encounters with GM service (the most major was a torque tube replacement on a C5). Thankfully, none of my GM experiences have been as negative as yours, and my Daily Driver C6's and now C7 have been some of the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned -- my last C6 had nearly 100,000 miles before I traded it in. So calling them "piles of junk" seems inaccurate.

No one is saying what has happened to you is 'the way it should be'. Having a busted C7 rear end and now an A8 transmission failure within a very short period of time has got to be hugely disappointing, compounded by GM's slowness in responding. That said, there are lemons in every make, and you just have to work to resolution (including hounding GM when necessary), and decide if the frustration is just some bad "luck of the draw" and you'll be continuing on with that make, or jumping ship to another. Seeing how you've been an enthusiast for so long, I really hope your situation gets settled to your satisfaction soon.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:23 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

True, fresh, hot off the press story ... brought my brand new GMC Sierra in for an oil change, asked them to check, and repair the leaking windshield washer reservoir that leaves wet marks in my garage and has me constantly refilling it. 24 hours later, got truck back, oil changed and the response, What? when I asked about water leak. So, the next week, left it on Wednesday evening, 'Please fix the washer leak". Monday, 4 work days later, they took it upon themselves to change my brake master cylinder which Was Not Leaking, and without telling me nor notifying me! Now I have a soft brake peddle AND a washer leak!
Don Bohn GMC in Harvey La. Do not use them!
Old 05-01-2018, 01:28 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Not to go OT here GS#40, but did you tell them specifically that it was the washer reservoir leaking and then verify that he/she wrote it correctly on the work order?

Because if not, then the mechanic is just having to guess at what you meant, and probably first thought it was A/C condensation or something like that.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:32 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I didn’t know that. I know in Arizona we have 3 returns before it’s a lemon. I’ll check on the 30 day rule.
I worry because they keep trying the cheap approach. Thankfully their bandaids aren’t working to fix the issue. I don’t want a car eventually out of warranty that I will have to spend a lot to replace the transmission.
In 2 weeks, they’ve done a fast relearn over and over. They have to drive it a lot during this process from what I have read. My c7 I Love is being stored outside, driven a lot during this process and everyone knows what they’re doing isn’t working.

I take care of my cars and this is unacceptable to me.
In Arizona it is 4 attempts or 30 calendar days to repair the same problem.

That said, and to be clear I'm not an attorney or have any real knowledge of Arizona Lemon Law, the language in the law seems to leave an out unless you give them written notice.

The presumption prescribed in this section does not apply against a manufacturer unless the manufacturer has received prior direct written notification from or on behalf of the consumer of the alleged defect and has had an opportunity to cure the alleged defect.

You would think a dealer's service ticket and request for GM to customer to approve it would be enough, but just in case, I might write a letter to GM now about your problem (if you have only called before, get it in writing, if you have already submitted something in writing, you may be good) just in case this lingers on.

Again, a lawyer may tell you something like a written notification isn't important if you can prove GM was aware, but I'm just reading words in the law.

Good luck, and I hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

In many instances/incidents on here, CF, I've seen similar posts with respect to the time it takes to get the problem fixed on a new car. It is not unusual. But it's also not the norm. Some will recall "bikevette" who had a rear diff go out after dealer prepped the car for HPDE per the Owner's Manual.*

If your car is new-new, in truth, the alleged behavior of the trans is supposed to be already fixed in production models which may account (stress on word, "may") for why the dealer is trying different minor fixes vs. a complete rebuild or replacement. Not a good answer for you, nor is the fact that CS has no connection, authority or power with most other internal departments. It seems to be more for taking down names and doing whatever they can do. That is, "the way it is."

* Very supportive dealer. The owner opted to pay for the car to be fixed and get reimbursed by GM whenever they determined it the original parts' fault. Which they did do, and reimbursed him about 7 months or so later.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The same as any other auto manufacturer in the US. Dealerships are independent businesses. A GM Customer Service Rep can't tell them when to do a repair. They can help resolve issues on GM's side of the divide and to provide certain guidance to the dealerships but that is what you get when there are two different companies involved.

Bill
Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Aenigma: Mind sharing the AZ dealership name?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
Aenigma: Mind sharing the AZ dealership name?
I also would like to know which dealer - I'll NEVER return to my AZ selling dealership based on my buying experience. If their service people are as incompetent as those I dealt with in their sales dept., they shouldn't be in business.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-01-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 05-01-2018, 03:32 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,144 Likes on 998 Posts

GM Customer Service is not designed to fix cars...the same as the advertising agency is also not charged with fixing them. They are a communicator in the system to attempt to bring proper communication between the consumer and the dealer and the manufacturer. The dealer has an army of people to talk with that are there to assist in repair. There are several layers of field personnel to offer direction, access to the GM Tech line where they can interact with engineers, and several other dealer resources.

While every owner knows exactly how to fix their car because they were told on the internet what to do, the professionals who actually work on and design them often do not immediately have the answer. Just "replacing" the transmission has a certain ring to it but those who have actually worked on these things realize that does not automatically fix the original problem.
Skid Row Joe (05-05-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

I'd suggest having your attorney check into the Lemon Law in your state, if applicable, and any other possible legal remedies that might be available to you. Every state differs with regard to such issues. All the best.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:15 PM
LeManscoupe05
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

You should try Ford service department. That's the worse customer service I've ever had.

Last edited by LeManscoupe05; 05-01-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

You should call and complain about their customer service...

Get notified of new replies

To GM has the worst customer service ever!

Old 05-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

OP - I hear you buddy.

While my C7 has been flawless. I've dealt with GM on warranty issues with my wifes Regal GS. The dealer doesn't have a good relationship with GM and GM customer service isn't connected to anyone.

With my Audi S5 - warranty issues were a breeze. But you pay for it in an overpriced car and ridiculous maintenance costs.

There is no perfect business model. Lexus seems to still get it right.

Last edited by Maxpowers; 05-01-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, Lexus does.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes, Lexus does.
The thing is, from my experience, Lexus seldom fails so I've had little need to visit their service department.

So far my C7 has been flawless but I had numerous problems with my C5 and C6. And had to turn in my first Corvette, an 85 C4, under the Lemon Law.

Quick Reply: GM has the worst customer service ever!