Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no new Z51 Stingrays?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:59 PM
3AD2the31
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Agree with you on not wanting the wide body. I chose a Z51 1LT, all performance and sleek!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:29 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

If the GS had been out when I got my Stingray I would have went that route for sure. its basically a no brainer at this point. Esp with all the discounts.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Undoubtedly in the minority, I went with the 'base' coupe (2lt, NRB, NPP, gray interior).
I didn't want or need the Z51, and thought the 'base' was much sleeker in design w/o the spoiler, etc. of the Z51. Mine will never see a track, and is overwhelmingly used to cruise.
BTW, cost did not play a role - if I wanted the Z51 or Z06, I would have purchased either.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:20 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

^^^
Looking at the Kerbeck inventory and if I recall the 2017 sales statistics would not call your choice a minority! I'd call it smart, it fits what you need!

You have the softest ride. Didn't say soft but you don't have stiff springs and a huge front sway bar as does the Z51, GS and Z06 that look like an axle! I've added sway bars but never that large. You don't have a sway bar in the rear, the way the Vette spring is mounted provides a sufficient sway bar effect. You have 35 mm shocks and not the HD 45 mm Bilstein shocks that are needed to control the stiff springs as I did in my none MRC 2014 Z51 (assumes you did not get MRC.)

You don't have the terrible dust problem with racing brake pads as do the Z51 and the larger pads in the GS and Z06! Had to change mine to ceramic pads in the 2014 Z51 and did the same with my GS as soon as I brought it home

No need to worry about a dealer overfilling your dry sump because the Mechanic's Helper who often works the Oil Change Bay forgetting it has two drain plugs!

No I think, considering the price (that $50K new one I saw at Kerbeck was a base car) you have a great car that handles just fine for street use.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-04-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Looking at the Kerbeck inventory and if I recall the 2017 sales statistics would not call your choice a minority! I'd call it smart, it fits what you need!

You have the softest ride. Didn't say soft but you don't have stiff springs and a huge front sway bar as does the Z51, GS and Z06 that look like an axle! You don't have a sway bar in the rear, the way the Vette spring is mounted provides a sway bar effect.I've added sway bars but never that large. You have 35 mm shocks and not the HD 45 mm Bilstein shocks that are needed to control the stiff springs as I did in my none MRC 2014 Z51.

You don't have the terrible dust problem with racing brake pads as do the Z51 and the larger pads in the GS and Z06! Had to change mine to ceramic pads in the 2014 Z51 and did the same with my GS as soon as I brought it home

No need to worry about a dealer overfilling your dry sump because the Mechanic's Helper who often works the Oil Change Bay forgetting it has two drain plugs!

No I think, considering the price (that $50K new one I saw at Kerbeck was a base car) you have a great car that handles just fine for street use.

Thanks for the kind words Jerry - you said it much better than I could.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Thanks for the kind words Jerry - you said it much better than I could.
Smart buy!
Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Much of my thinking too, as well as cost wasn't a consideration to me either.....I could afford which ever C7 I wanted.

I did go for the FE2 option on my 2017 & the MSRC 3LT convertible. I could not be happier with the C7. The total sweet spot.

Undoubtedly in the minority, I went with the 'base' coupe (2lt, NRB, NPP, gray interior).
I didn't want or need the Z51, and thought the 'base' was much sleeker in design w/o the spoiler, etc. of the Z51. Mine will never see a track, and is overwhelmingly used to cruise.
BTW, cost did not play a role - if I wanted the Z51 or Z06, I would have purchased either.
Bavaria (05-04-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
99% of us here buy retail, what are you the secret agent from the Manheim Auto Auction? I've been out of the car biz for 25 years. I don't miss it. To trade up a couple of years for me would probably entail laying out $20K in cash, maybe if I shop and shop that becomes $17K, but it's a waste of money because - while I do appreciate that GS performance advantage, if I'm not racing on a track it's kind of pointless, that's all.

Unless I'm measuring dicks with the other boys here, but I threw in the white flag a while ago, it's too pricey.
Was not talking cost to trade....

Talking the cost of an 18 Stingray 3LT, Z51, 7-speed compared to a 18 GS 3LT 7-speed. Barely over 3K mre.

The reason given for why no Z-51 on dealer lots. GS does not cost much more when in the same trim level. Because they do not cost much more, 3K they seem to sell better for the dealers.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Just because some Chev. dealers are choked with GSes, is no reason to believe that they're a better C7 than the Stingray with the Z51 option, because they're not.

The Chev. dealers are seeking as much of a profit center as they can when stocking new GSes on speculation.

The Z51, is the superior C7, based purely on performance and $ value. The GS is a huge waste of money, that does zilch on performance.

The old guys in their 70s with the auto transmission GSes, that repeatedly tell the forum their GS is faster in corners than ours, should get a life.

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Seems the magazines do not agree with you. Also, if you track the car, none of those are ornamental gimmicks. They all have a designed function. The Aero 2 package is for increased down force. Then their a the cooling ducts for the brakes. Also the wider tires front and rear for increased grip on the track.

I have had both the 14 Z51 with MRC and the Grand Sport, both of which are m-7 cars. The wide-*** tires provide much more grip on the street on full throttle acceleration.....Trust me I know first hand.
No kidding?

I already covered every point ^^^^ in my post.
Gee, I guess you do not remember your post I replied to. You know the one above where there is zilch for performance gain ? You words. Also your words no reason a GS is better than a Z-51.

Then when I point out what makes a GS better you say no kidding.

Try to remember what you post and not contradict your self...

So which is it? The first post, where its no better, or the second where you agree with me on all the advantages of the GS?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 AM
doctor_charly
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . I'd pay the extra $3K to avoid the wide-body and wider tires for my street car, if the pricing equation were weirdly flipped. To me that's an equal "no-brainer." I just don't care for the fender spats, scoops, the splitters, and the side skirts in addition to everything else.

The iconic sports cars most admired over the years have been those with classic clean lines. The Stingray has classic clean lines.
couldnt agree more. Classic is the word that many will swear only by in a few decades when all the GS crap will be dead on the side of their so beloved track course...
Skid Row Joe (05-08-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:50 PM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Z51 3LT A8 is a great car

I got my 2015 brand new in 2016 and for 64k, which was 10k off sticker. I considered the GS, but didn’t pull the trigger at this point because I saw low miles Z06 for 75k. I did however get black Z06 wheels and ACS aero kit in carbon flash. I will keep it for at least two more years.

Possibly will Procharger it within next two years unless I find my red metallic tintcoat color in a used Z06 for a good price.

Originally Posted by jversluis
I've had 5 vette including wide body c6. I went back to a z51 stingray also for the same reasons. Clean styling, less body chips, drives better, doesn't tramline. I just had it on the track and it's a beast. Driving long distance it's super cruiser. Love it. Not that I don't like Gs but overall z51 is the unsung hero.

Last edited by 2FAST4U; 05-05-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
Order what you want. I ordered a Z51 2LT for museum delivery and it has the e-diff, dry sump, bigger brakes (not as big but big enough). I like the cleaner lines of the stingray and the smaller tires ride better. The GS is a cool car but it just has too much plastic going on for me.
Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . I'd pay the extra $3K to avoid the wide-body and wider tires for my street car, if the pricing equation were weirdly flipped. To me that's an equal "no-brainer." I just don't care for the fender spats, scoops, the splitters, and the side skirts in addition to everything else.

The iconic sports cars most admired over the years have been those with classic clean lines. The Stingray has classic clean lines.
spot on, after 4 years I just removed the sideskirts and front splitter from my 2014 Z51. Car looks much cleaner now...go figure! it was all a fad of sorts
Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Gee, I guess you do not remember your post I replied to. You know the one above where there is zilch for performance gain ? You words. Also your words no reason a GS is better than a Z-51.

Then when I point out what makes a GS better you say no kidding.

Try to remember what you post and not contradict your self...

So which is it? The first post, where its no better, or the second where you agree with me on all the advantages of the GS?
Gee, where to start.....

The GS isn't better than the Z51, it's just $5,000.00 more in
dead money.

Repeating the same false ideas doesn't make your GS any more favorable to a Z51 - certainly not for $5,000.00. That's just repeating the obvious waste of $....
Old 05-07-2018, 10:41 PM
LeManscoupe05
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Its apples to oranges. Some like the narrow body of the Stingray. I personally like the wide body look of the Grand Sport. The value in the wide bodied cant be argued with. There are trade offs mentioned by other posts. If you want a Stingray the best bet you have is to order it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2018, 11:18 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't care for the wider fender flares/tires on the GS. I've always loathed those little fender stripes, but you can buy the car without that. I don't even like the GS badge on the side. I think the Stingray in stock or Z51 form is a better looking and sized sports car. All this stuff is subjective of course. From a pure performance standpoint the GS blows away a Z51 or Stingray, but I think those differences are rather meaningless the way most of us drive the cars. More important in our car weenie heads : ).

Whatever makes you happy boys.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I've said it before: my Z51 Stingray is sufficiently over the top for me. Compared to a Porsche it looks like the Can AM cars I used to doodle on my book covers (remember those) in 8th grade in 1970. That's a good thing : ). The GS and Z06 really take it over the edge, and that can be good or bad - but in the end it's all good. Whether you're driving a ***** to the wall GS or Z06 or a base Stingray it's still a better car than all the other non-Corvettes.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-07-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:17 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Not many new Z51 sales? That's too bad...

$$$frumnuttin' (05-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Why no new Z51 Stingrays?

Old 05-08-2018, 02:26 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Gee, where to start.....

The GS isn't better than the Z51, it's just $5,000.00 more in
dead money.

Repeating the same false ideas doesn't make your GS any more favorable to a Z51 - certainly not for $5,000.00. That's just repeating the obvious waste of $....
Wow, one post you agree its better and say no kidding then change your tune the next.

You just like to contradict your self or is it you like to argue??????
Old 05-08-2018, 02:40 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doctor_charly

couldnt agree more. Classic is the word that many will swear only by in a few decades when all the GS crap will be dead on the side of their so beloved track course...
So true.

Not faster than the Z51 - an utter n complete throwing away of $5,000.00......... :

I inspected my first 2019 ZR1 photos over the weekend. The ZR1's body lines are not defaced with those ugly Jeep
-like black plastic fender rims of the GS. It's incredible how clean and sleek the ZR1, is without that fender cr@p.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:46 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Not true. There were a massive percentage of Stingrays built. Possibly the most. Like you, I bought a new C7 that fit my usage. Nothing that I knew I would never use. Cost was no factor either here.
Bavaria (05-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Why no new Z51 Stingrays?