Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2019 GS oil fill question

Old 05-05-2018, 11:49 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts
Default New 2019 GS oil fill question

Hi All, just got my new 2019 GS a few days ago and I finally have time to wash it and give it a good go-over (I'll post pics once she's cleaned up)

I checked the oil and it looks like it's over-filled - isn't this checked by the dealership?

Maybe I'm checking it wrong - I ran the car to operating temps, shut it down, then waited about 7-8 minutes, and then checked the level.

Maybe the dealership guy checked it wrong and added oil?

The level is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch over the top of the 'hot' area. I've only driven it from the dealership to my house, under 10 miles, so I doubt it has caused any issues but I wanted to check with you pros before draining any oil out.

Anybody else find their new car over-filled?
Old 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

I would think they put the exact same amount in each one at the factory? I doubt it was overfilled.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Yes, checking oil level is part of the PDI process and most likely the cause of your overfill. They didn't follow the proper procedure and as a result it read low so they added oil.

1/8 to 1/4 inch is not significantly overfilled.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,598 Likes on 6,612 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Hi All, just got my new 2019 GS a few days ago and I finally have time to wash it and give it a good go-over (I'll post pics once she's cleaned up)

I checked the oil and it looks like it's over-filled - isn't this checked by the dealership?

Maybe I'm checking it wrong - I ran the car to operating temps, shut it down, then waited about 7-8 minutes, and then checked the level.

Maybe the dealership guy checked it wrong and added oil?

The level is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch over the top of the 'hot' area. I've only driven it from the dealership to my house, under 10 miles, so I doubt it has caused any issues but I wanted to check with you pros before draining any oil out.

Anybody else find their new car over-filled?
Would not worry about a 1/4 inch BUT this is what I found when I picked mine up!

Had told the Service Manager NOT to add any oil in when doing their prep as I kept my 2014 Z51 1/2 quart over MIN, which is 1/2 quart below MAX and that is where I will keep my Grand Sport.

Was pleased that the C7 Tech, who let me into their service bay as he drilled 13 holes per side to install my optional Stage 2 side skirts etc, said I was told you don't want any oil added BUT when I checked it is about a half quart over from the factory!

When I got it home, some 30 miles, sure enough it was a 1/2 inch high! did not expect it would be a problem BUT not what I wanted. Used my brake bleed hand pump and small hose to remove 1 quart then it was 1/2 quart under MAX, where I wanted! Your car your choice but you might wait to see if you burn any oil on break-in. I did not.

You'll soon have to perform the 500 mile change so IMO good enough to set it where you want then. IF you have the dealer do it (I did not-did my own) then use a technique others employ. Ask to have it filled with 9 quarts. Drive it home and add as desired. I am only less than 1/2 quart and my car is level and I wait for all oil to drip from the drain plugs. Frankly it's easier to see when the new oil picks up some color!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-05-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

When I asked a local dealer about adding 9 quarts and giving me the 10th he told me they get their oil from drums but would give me the 10th quart if I brought in an empty bottle. You may want to be prepared to do that.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
When I asked a local dealer about adding 9 quarts and giving me the 10th he told me they get their oil from drums but would give me the 10th quart if I brought in an empty bottle. You may want to be prepared to do that.
Never heard of a dealer that has Mobil 1 in drums. Most have Dexos synthetic in drums. When I get my oil changes (even those under the initial service plan), I specify Mobil 1 and they bring out 10 1 quart jugs of Mobil 1. They put in 9+, checking the fill level following proper procedure and then give me the partial quart to take home.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2019 GS oil fill question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2019 GS oil fill question