Sponsored by:

Bad dealer service experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:36 PM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bad dealer service experience

The dealer in question is Campbell Chevrolet in Bowling Green, KY. My service coordinator was nice as can be I just want to say. The Easy Out feature on the driver's seat of my Corvette isn't working (pulls the seat back when the car is shut off but doesn't return it when its restarted) and is very annoying so therefore I turn it off and take it to the dealer to be fixed. When I go to pick it up the technician's notes say that the feature was not working because the owner had turned it off. So of course I immediately check it and its still broken. The technician never even turned it on to see if it works!!! Back to the dealer I go.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:48 PM
markc7
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't you just hate that. When a tech doesn't go the extra steps to see what is wrong.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

Irritating... SURE. But, in the grander scheme of things they didn't (apparently) make anything worse or mess up anything else.

I wish I could say as much for my few local dealer warranty visits with my C5 back in the day. I hope to hell my C7 doesn't have to go in for ANYTHING!
Old 05-06-2018, 03:53 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,154 Likes on 897 Posts

There are lots of reasons for it not working and many are resolved by following the proper procedures in the manual. There are many threads and posts about this. As I recall if you have a manual and don't set the parking brake, it won't work. Sometimes, it is set to go too far back and moving it forward a touch to keep it from being all the way back and resets it. Have you tried any of those fixes?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:01 PM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

I had been using this feature for months without any problem as I had read the manual cover to cover, so this is a new issue. Also my Vette is an A8, not manual. It's clearly a memory seat issue as even with the feature turned off the seat still moves around upon startup and I have to hold the M1 button every time I start it.

Originally Posted by proeagles
There are lots of reasons for it not working and many are resolved by following the proper procedures in the manual. There are many threads and posts about this. As I recall if you have a manual and don't set the parking brake, it won't work. Sometimes, it is set to go too far back and moving it forward a touch to keep it from being all the way back and resets it. Have you tried any of those fixes?
The following users liked this post:
danh63 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

If you have the easy out feature set to go too far back against the bulkhead you may be hitting the limit switches which will disable the seat from moving back up to selected driving position. You also could have informed the dealer / tech that you had knowingly turned the feature off at the time you dropped it off, more information can bring a better experience.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:26 PM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

Of course I told the service manager that I had turned the feature off since it wasn't working properly.

Also, the feature had been working fine for months, so no need for me to check to see if it was too far back. It was never too far back.

Originally Posted by Gvnski
If you have the easy out feature set to go too far back against the bulkhead you may be hitting the limit switches which will disable the seat from moving back up to selected driving position. You also could have informed the dealer / tech that you had knowingly turned the feature off at the time you dropped it off, more information can bring a better experience.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I had trouble setting my seat and exit memory at first. There is a you tube video by a girl Cute Ginger Do a you tube search C7 Memory Seat and she will show up. Doing it the way see shows it now works great. She will mention taking seat all the way back and then forward a 1/2 inch and have you go into vehicle and turn off memory seat and exit feature . THEN set seat, wheel , and exit then go back into setting and turning back on . I thought after reading manual I had it right but after doing it her way thing work GREAT. She knows C7 well. Check it out might save you a trip to dealer.
4thC4at60 (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 06:19 PM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

Thanks for the tip, but as I already stated the feature was working fine for months before it recently stopped. It's not me, it's the car.

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
I had trouble setting my seat and exit memory at first. There is a you tube video by a girl Cute Ginger Do a you tube search C7 Memory Seat and she will show up. Doing it the way see shows it now works great. She will mention taking seat all the way back and then forward a 1/2 inch and have you go into vehicle and turn off memory seat and exit feature . THEN set seat, wheel , and exit then go back into setting and turning back on . I thought after reading manual I had it right but after doing it her way thing work GREAT. She knows C7 well. Check it out might save you a trip to dealer.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

OP, even though it was working fine before, it is certainly worth the minimal effort it takes to make sure the exit position is set slightly forward of all the way back. It is possible that your seat back is reclining slightly more than it was. There are limit sensors behind the seat on the bulkhead. If you trip those sensors, the seat operation usually does exactly what you describe.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MickOpalak
Thanks for the tip, but as I already stated the feature was working fine for months before it recently stopped. It's not me, it's the car.
Reset the memory seat position. It's fairly simple.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

I've done it a dozen times and it didn't fix the problem. Something is definitely wrong with the memory seat functions. Even though I have Easy Out turned off, the seat still moves around when I start the car. I have to put it back in position with each start.

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Reset the memory seat position. It's fairly simple.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The dealer in question is Campbell Chevrolet in Bowling Green, KY. My service coordinator was nice as can be I just want to say. The Easy Out feature on the driver's seat of my Corvette isn't working (pulls the seat back when the car is shut off but doesn't return it when its restarted) and is very annoying so therefore I turn it off and take it to the dealer to be fixed. When I go to pick it up the technician's notes say that the feature was not working because the owner had turned it off. So of course I immediately check it and its still broken. The technician never even turned it on to see if it works!!! Back to the dealer I go.
Why did you leave? I would have checked it before leaving and walked back in and said it isn't fixed.

Bill
Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I've done it a dozen times and it didn't fix the problem. Something is definitely wrong with the memory seat functions. Even though I have Easy Out turned off, the seat still moves around when I start the car. I have to put it back in position with each start.
Easy Exit and Auto Memory Recall are two different personalizations. You can Easy Exit "off" and have Auto Memory Recall "on" at the same time.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

^^^ I 'fixed' a friend's C7 Saturday. The Easy Exit was working but not the Memory Recall. I don't know why they made these two options, it would seem one would want either both or none, but they did.

Last edited by Grand Slam; 05-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why did you leave? I would have checked it before leaving and walked back in and said it isn't fixed.

Bill

Unfortunately I had a 8.5 hour drive home from the dealer and didn't have time to hang around and argue with them.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Have the Dealer Service Manager get the Service Tech, and then have the Service Tech explain to both of you and the Dealer Service Manager how the problem was investigated, and what was needed/done to resolve it.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad dealer service experience

Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 AM
danh63
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I had been using this feature for months without any problem as I had read the manual cover to cover, so this is a new issue. Also my Vette is an A8, not manual. It's clearly a memory seat issue as even with the feature turned off the seat still moves around upon startup and I have to hold the M1 button every time I start it.
OK I need to ask a question and I have a feeling I am going to be a dumbass. I thought I had to press the last button to exit every time and then whenever I get in I always have to press and hold the M! button. So if I move the exit button seat return up a little this will all happen when I start and shut off the car automatically?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^ Could be wrong, but I think you may be confusing two different things. Read Zym's post #10 re the seat being set sometimes too far back.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by danh63
OK I need to ask a question and I have a feeling I am going to be a dumbass. I thought I had to press the last button to exit every time and then whenever I get in I always have to press and hold the M! button. So if I move the exit button seat return up a little this will all happen when I start and shut off the car automatically?
There are settings to cause the seats/steering wheel to move automatically when opening the door and also when pressing the Start button. If not set, one can use the door buttons to do the same thing.
danh63 (05-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Bad dealer service experience