Sponsored by:

A8 v 7 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
Fun is subjective, so for me faster is more fun. I have a 1969 Z/28 (factory 4 speed) and I enjoy driving my faster A8 C7 more. If shifting is truly more fun, you can go buy a fifteen speed dump truck and have boatloads of fun.
I probably would enjoy driving a 15 speed dump truck more than an automatic-lol.
The following 4 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
dvilin (05-09-2018), DWillys (05-09-2018), ptran00 (05-20-2018), Scoobydoobydoo (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:03 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
...operating a clutch isn't actually work 🙄
Well, clutch pedal of my C2 427 made my left thigh bigger than the right, but the C7 pedal resistance indeed won't build much muscle.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I probably would enjoy driving a 15 speed dump truck more than an automatic-lol.
Reminds me of my first 7 speed (actually an 8 speed but two were the same ratio) my Dodge Colt Turbo! It was like an Dump Truck with a two stick shifter! A 4 speed with to speed overdrive box!

My second, only a 7 speed was the Doug Nash trans that came in my first Vette, a 1988. It was a rugged 4 speed with electronically activated overdrive. The overdrive was switched on and off with a button integrated into the the top of the shifter. However it would not engage in 1st. But you could shift from 1st to 2nd, the engage overdrive, then disengage overdrive and go to 3rd, The 3rd overdrive, etc. Fun occasionally but typically just went through 4 gears then activated overdrive!

Have only had a standard shift as my DD for ~60 years!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

I've always loved manuals and drive one every day. Also hope manuals are always available in Corvettes. Perhaps there should be a sticky thread for M7 owners to pound their chests, pat one another on the back, joke about and trash A8s so this same old tired discussion doesn't keep coming up here every few days.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Perhaps there should be a sticky thread for M7 owners to pound their chests, pat one another on the back, joke about and trash A8s so this same old tired discussion doesn't keep coming up here every few days.
You mean like this?

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Automatics shift super fast today and with very little lag. Eight speeds allows the engine to be in the right RPM range compared to an older three or four speed automatic transmission back in the day which can lug the engine. Today's automatic transmissions are modern technology, manual shifting is antiquated. It's like fuel injection compared to a carburetor. They both do the same thing but one is way more advanced, more efficient and reliable than the other.
Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

This debate is really getting old, drive what you like and what suits your driving style the best. The claim that it's not a sports car if it doesn't have a manual is ridiculous.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimjimsC7:
joemessman (05-10-2018), Kevin A Jones (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Never had a new manual transmission in my entire life in a new Corvette until my current M7.

I wont buy another automatic Corvette, ever again.

Regardless if there is a choice or not.

Dealers would sell more manuals if they would buy more.

Many auto buyers would have bought a manual, if the dealer were to have stocked them.
How many manuals do you think GM could possibly sell being that only 18% of the driving public can operator one?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:24 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
This debate is really getting old, drive what you like and what suits your driving style the best. The claim that it's not a sports car if it doesn't have a manual is ridiculous.
You obviously own an auto 😜
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by joecub22
I always had Manual Corvettes but I noticed 90% of the Vette at Dealers have the A8. Is no one buying the 7 speed manual anymore? IMO a sports car should be a Manual
I work in the automotive field and one of my duties is to manage the VIO (vehicle in operation) data as well as their associated drivetrains. There has been a steady decline in M/T's being produced by the manufacturers for the past 15 years. Obviously, I think it's due to the advancements in the automatic technologies and that traffic in most areas is at an all-time high and people are tired of working out their left legs. I hate to see this trend, but there's no denying it. Some of our products we sell are clutches and flywheels, so it directly impacts us as a company.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Auto trans guys, this is simply just voicing personal taste, personal opinion, voicing personal choice, all in fun, absolutely not trying to convince you to set your A8 on fire, and come over to the dark side and buy a stick shift car.

Autos shift quicker, um ok. That's not what it's about for stick shift guys. Manual shift owners just like shifting. Not saying an auto trans car is a bad car or a bad choice, they are just not for those who like to shift a stick car, and paddle shifting doesn't do it for them.

Auto trans cars are great for those who like them, or need them as they get older and auto becomes a necessity, and the same goes for stick cars, it doesn't make them a bad car either.

Some like blondes, some like brunettes, some like hot spicy redheads... it's all in the eye of the beholder. So it all gets to the same answer, which is, Chevy doesn't make a bad Corvette in any form, they are all America's sweetheart no matter what color it is or how you like to shift!

I'll take one if each please... a stick, an auto, a blonde, brunette, and a redhead too please!

​​​​​
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

^^^ Everything you've said about shifting your own gears can be said about other tasks that used to fall to the driver, like setting timing advance and mixture on the fly.

And if your answer is "Shut up dummy, I just like shifting" that's awesome. If your answer is that it makes it the better or superior car overall, that's all I ever take objection with.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
I'll take one if each please... a stick, an auto, a blonde, brunette, and a redhead too please!
​​​​​
lol, so true!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Vette E Boop
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
[QUOTEa=Ozzstar;1597148301]Automatics shift super fast today and with very little lag. Eight speeds allows the engine to be in the right RPM range compared to an older three or four speed automatic transmission back in the day which can lug the engine. Today's automatic transmissions are modern technology, manual shifting is antiquated. It's like fuel injection compared to a carburetor. They both do the same thing but one is way more advanced, more efficient and reliable than the other.
Funny post.[/QUOTE]

I guess I’m “antiquated” in more ways than one! I will drive a manual until they pry off my dead, cold fingers from the shift ****. Same applies to my Springfield .45 XDS. I prefer having control over my driving experiences; drive it, not steer it.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
^^^ Everything you've said about shifting your own gears can be said about other tasks that used to fall to the driver, like setting timing advance and mixture on the fly.
That's always your default logic on this topic, comparing the manual to very old technology like setting timing and mixture (I still set timing and mixture, btw, just with a laptop now instead of levers)....

So going in the other direction with your logic, in the future, when you don't steer, gas, brake, shift, or otherwise, will you appreciate the automotive experience? After all, the technology advancement argument will eventually reveal everything we do and experience today will become extinct. It's just not a strong argument against manuals when people buy them in spite of what benefits an automatic provides.

You like the auto. Enjoy it. Nothing else needs to matter to you. Why does it?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:47 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette E Boop

Funny post.

I guess I’m “antiquated” in more ways than one! I will drive a manual until they pry off my dead, cold fingers from the shift ****. Same applies to my Springfield .45 XDS. I prefer having control over my driving experiences; drive it, not steer it.
[/QUOTE]

Okay....
Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
So going in the other direction with your logic, in the future, when you don't steer, gas, brake, shift, or otherwise, will you appreciate the automotive experience? After all, the technology advancement argument will eventually reveal everything we do and experience today will become extinct.

You like the auto. Enjoy it. Nothing else needs to matter to you. Why does it?
Nothing else does matter. I drive an auto when it suits me, I drive a stick when I chose. Each has their purpose.

Any participation in the mechanical operation of the vehicle serves either to make the vehicle faster or more enjoyable to drive. Since neither transmission offers a demonstrably faster lap time in the Z, enjoyment should be the only factor.

That's it. That's all I claim.

I have a '69 Camaro RS/SS 396 M20. It's probably my slowest car. And yet there's not much more fun than sidestepping the rear end just the right amount on a fast 1->2 shift. But I don't make any claim about that other than its fun for me.

When I go to the road course I derive enjoyment from trying to find the right line and carrying as much speed into the corners as I can manage. To me it would not add enjoyment to shift my own gears. If it did, I would.

And that's where I part with most of you. I will simply say "to me it would not add enjoyment" but others will make grand, sweeping conclusions about which is the better car, and therefore, the more manly driver.

And my analogy of timing and mixture remains the default because it's apt. You can be as much or as little involved in the operation and function of the vehicles as you want, whereas I only want to pilot it. Just don't try to pass it off as somehow objectively "better" for all.

I also own a P100D which can drive itself, so if you want to reduce it to absurdity, you could ride in a Tesla around Big Willow on Autopilot. I don't know what that would prove though.

Last edited by davepl; 05-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lupicon (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Nothing else does matter. I drive an auto when it suits me, I drive a stick when I chose. Each has their purpose.

Any participation in the mechanical operation of the vehicle serves either to make the vehicle faster or more enjoyable to drive. Since neither transmission offers a demonstrably faster lap time in the Z, enjoyment should be the only factor.

That's it. That's all I claim.

I have a '69 Camaro RS/SS 396 M20. It's probably my slowest car. And yet there's not much more fun than sidestepping the rear end just the right amount on a fast 1->2 shift. But I don't make any claim about that other than its fun for me.

When I go to the road course I derive enjoyment from trying to find the right line and carrying as much speed into the corners as I can manage. To me it would not add enjoyment to shift my own gears. If it did, I would.

And that's where I part with most of you. I will simply say "to me it would not add enjoyment" but others will make grand, sweeping conclusions about which is the better car, and therefore, the more manly driver.

And my analogy of timing and mixture remains the default because it's apt. You can be as much or as little involved in the operation and function of the vehicles as you want, whereas I only want to pilot it. Just don't try to pass it off as somehow objectively "better" for all.

I also own a P100D which can drive itself, so if you want to reduce it to absurdity, you could ride in a Tesla around Big Willow on Autopilot. I don't know what that would prove though.
I guess most of this forum's problem with the topic is that anyone who owns an A8 assumes all M7 owners are of the opinion that A8's are inferior and all M7 owners assume A8 owners are of the opinion that M7's are inferior, which simply isn't true.

The bolded part of your quote is the assumption that drives all transmission threads sideways. It's a predisposition a member has when they click and approach every post with that mentality.

I don't think the A8 is "inferior" I just prefer the M7. This seems to be how most people feel about their transmission choice but the threads always devolve into some primal motivating factor, manual transmissions are more manly and automatics are for aliens from the future, neither of which are true.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 v 7 speed manual

Old 05-12-2018, 11:59 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
When I ordered my 14 Stingray there were no cars on dealer lots. I had no doubt I was getting an M-7. I feel a sports car on mountain roads needs a manual, more fun for me.

Dealers only seem to stock Auto's.

Was getting an oil change in March on my 14 Stingray. Dealer had a Carbon 65 on the floor. I just loved the color. Was not worried as I was sure it was an auto. Didn't even look at the car.

Saw one in FL a week later. In the sun it really grabbed me. Super sharp.

Looked on my local dealers web site. His Carbon 65 was a M-7. We worked a deal and its mine now.

Pics or it didn't happen...
Old 05-12-2018, 12:09 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I guess most of this forum's problem with the topic is that anyone who owns an A8 assumes all M7 owners are of the opinion that A8's are inferior and all M7 owners assume A8 owners are of the opinion that M7's are inferior, which simply isn't true.
Nope. It's not because of "assumptions", it's simply because the M7 users say shitty things about A8 users.

For example, by post 8 of this thread, "I know some guys can't shift anymore because of bad knees and such..."

Pick any M7/A8 thread and use your browser to search for the word "You". Most times it'll be an M7 user telling you what it means about the owner that he drives an A8.

I'm actually not speaking of you, I didn't know which trans you had before this thread and don't care now, you're not vocal about A8s so you're not part of that problem.

Last edited by davepl; 05-12-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
I don't know if it's the location, dealership, allocation, or a combination of the 3, but the dealership I go to has quite a few manuals. They obviously don't take the majority of in-house stock, but it's probably on level with Manual to Auto production numbers that we see on an annual basis. And yes I did order my M7, but that's only because I'm not spending money on a 50k+ vehicle only to buy off the showroom floor regardless of transmission. But that's just my situation.

I'm getting my car serviced this weekend. I should check for legit numbers and such because I'm not sitting in the concessions room staring at the ceiling.

Though like someone said earlier, I would love to see the numbers and stats on vehicles that were actually ordered by customers vs what the dealers bring in.
Okay, so I just got home from my car getting serviced and drove through this non stop rain we've been getting.

As far as dealer customer order allocation vs stock ordering, unfortunately I was unable to get that information. I didn't see the guy I usually talk to until my car was ready for pickup. So we chatted a bit and that was it.

I did however count the showroom C7s and tallied up the stock for whatever its worth:

26 total C7s (which is actually a little lower vs what I saw last year)
15 Automatics @ 57.69%
11 Manuals @ 42.31%

A lot more even than I suspected. I believe one of those automatics were sold (LBR). This particular dealership usually has their Corvettes indoors, so no C7s outside that I can see. Decided to look on their website, and they a total of 43 available: 22 Manuals vs 19 Automatics. So if the site is accurate, there were a few vehicles unaccounted for, with the manual transmission actually taking the majority.

Last edited by Judgment Day; 05-12-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added "indoors"

Quick Reply: A8 v 7 speed manual