Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manufacturer Rebuy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Replacing engine for leak is extreme maybe porse casting. They don't replace engine blocks...any way the 5/100 is from original in service date car is 3-4 years old already. The problem comes when its time to dispose of it. Some individuals will care some won't. Dealers will. Buybacks canbe the person has buyers remorse and wants out of the car. Others canbe legit unusual problems. Most states 3 time for the dealer 1 for the factory to correct a concern or more than 30 days in service within a year. It has to be a really good deal and plan to keep it for atleast 5 yrs. You may want to find out your insurance company's policy towards branded titles.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
If you are buying the car for yourself I wouldn't worry about it.

The reason why you are seeing so many run and walk comments is most vette owners are prissy about their cars. To them, a new engine is a horrible thing. It "destroys" the value. Except it doesn't, really, in the long term.

The problem is that they assume Corvettes are rare cars and that an engine replacement will somehow ruin the value of the car. Go look at values of 10 year old corvettes. The amount of corvettes for sale with low mileage, and good shape, is stupid. This is why they are worth so little. Even C3s are rarely worth money, you have to go back 50 years to find a vette worth anything.

If you are buying the car for yourself to drive and enjoy, go for it. After ten years, the car will not be worth 5000 less because it had an engine swap. At that price point people wont care, and this whole time you had a fantastic warranty.

If you are going to sell it in a few years it will affect you. Long term it won't.
I'm not 'prissy' about my Corvette. I wouldn't mind at all if GM wanted to put a brand new LT1 in my car. If there was a big problem, I would much prefer a complete, new factory-built engine than having the local tech tearing apart/reassembling my existing engine.

I think for most of us, it's not the new engine that is concerning -- its the branded title/lemon-law history.

There is a huge difference between just having an engine replaced and having the title branded with a buyback. But you're right in one way -- if you plan on keeping the car for 20+ years, it likely will make little difference; if you may sell it/trade it in the next 5 or so, you'll likely take a big hit on value -- very likely much more than $5500 off retail.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:37 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I'm not 'prissy' about my Corvette. I wouldn't mind at all if GM wanted to put a brand new LT1 in my car. If there was a big problem, I would much prefer a complete, new factory-built engine than having the local tech tearing apart/reassembling my existing engine.

I think for most of us, it's not the new engine that is concerning -- its the branded title/lemon-law history.

There is a huge difference between just having an engine replaced and having the title branded with a buyback. But you're right in one way -- if you plan on keeping the car for 20+ years, it likely will make little difference; if you may sell it/trade it in the next 5 or so, you'll likely take a big hit on value -- very likely much more than $5500 off retail.
Except that is the very definition of prissy. The car is functionally the same. Engine is new. OP said that. GM is backing it up with 100k mile warranty. If anything it is better than new. Problems have been sorted out and it has a better warranty than new.

Title branding is not going affect the car in value ten years from more than the difference saving today. Its not a salvage title. Add in the cost of interest and getting to use the money for other things and the savings is even better.

The only person this car doesn't work for is someone who is buying it and going to get rid of it in a few years. This car is a bargain for someone wanting to buy a corvette, drive it, enjoy it for a while.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:02 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Run far away and get a normal one. Seems every few months someone wants to buy a buyback car on here.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
A BUY.

Where else can you find a 5-yr./100,000 mile engine warranty at no charge? Test drive it. Then think it over..
Hmm, is that 5yr/100K miles from the date of installation of the new engine or from the original date of in-service of the car? Is it in writing from GM, or is it a dealer warranty/guarantee? Finally, is the rest of the drivetrain affected either with an increase in warranty timeline with the new engine, or does it remain the same as the original engine/powertrain warranty period?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:44 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Just a WAG but I imagine the engine was replaced because it was burning/using an extensive amount of oil & no one could determine what if anything could be "fixed". Easy out would be just replace the engine. As for the rest of the debate, I agree with most, that it "COULD" be a bucket of s***t to deal with if problems arose down the line. JMHO
Old 05-09-2018, 04:41 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Except that is the very definition of prissy. The car is functionally the same. Engine is new. OP said that. GM is backing it up with 100k mile warranty. If anything it is better than new. Problems have been sorted out and it has a better warranty than new.

Title branding is not going affect the car in value ten years from more than the difference saving today. Its not a salvage title. Add in the cost of interest and getting to use the money for other things and the savings is even better.

The only person this car doesn't work for is someone who is buying it and going to get rid of it in a few years. This car is a bargain for someone wanting to buy a corvette, drive it, enjoy it for a while.
Just my opinion, but apparently you have never dealt with a lemon law vehicle. And yes, the value will be impacted at 10 years, especially if we are talking about a low mileage, nice kept, vette.

You portraying a forum member as prissy is inappropriate and could be construed as a personal attack, which is banned by the forum.

You are entitled to your opinion on whether purchasing a lemon law titled vehicle is a good decision. But so is everyone else. Especially since the original poster requested forum member opinions.

Geeze,
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (05-15-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
Just my opinion, but apparently you have never dealt with a lemon law vehicle. And yes, the value will be impacted at 10 years, especially if we are talking about a low mileage, nice kept, vette.

You portraying a forum member as prissy is inappropriate and could be construed as a personal attack, which is banned by the forum.

You are entitled to your opinion on whether purchasing a lemon law titled vehicle is a good decision. But so is everyone else. Especially since the original poster requested forum member opinions.

Geeze,
#1 Buyback is not a lemon car. The whole reason a manufacturer buys back a car is to prevent the lemon process. Go read the OP's post.

#2 I did not portray anyone as prissy, and even if I did that is hardly a "personal attack". You prefer the word fussy?? I don't know how else to describe someone that thinks a car with a brand new engine, backed by a better than new warranty, is somehow a stinker.

I did not say once that no one is allowed to have an opinion. My comment is don't listen to other fussy owner's, make up your own mind.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I had an 01 GMC Crew Cab Dually Duramax truck which performed flawlessly, pulled my 14K pound RV on a regular basis with it. This was through the Smokey mountains and the Rockies. Truck was rated to pull 15K. I traded it on a new 2005 GMC Crew Cab Dually, Duramax diesel truck, rated to pull 17K.

First time I towed with the 2005 truck it was it was 3 place enclosed bike trailer with 3 bikes in it, at 6K pounds. On the way through MO it left me stranded on the side of the flat interstate puking coolant. GM said nothing wrong with the truck after dealer inspected. Next day I was stranded in SD, on flat hwy puking coolant. Towed to dealer, nothing wrong with truck again. Turned around to go home as trip was ruined. Stranded again in MO. Towed to dealer, again told truck is fine.

Call GMC customer service and fax then my three visits. They tell me truck is fine. I am working it to hard. I explain I am towing 1/3 of its rating. After much arguing we get Service Rep from GMC to come to my dealer. He hooks up instruments to my truck. We go to scales to prove with the skid steer and trailer I am at 7500 punds, less then half the rating of the truck. We head up a 6% grade and in three miles we are waiting on a wrecker with the Factory Tech in the truck. GMC still insists nothing wrong.

I fill with BBB. 8 months later on the way to Arbitration GMC calls with an offer to take my truck back, me paying 22 cents per mile on the truck. I tell them no way. Sitting in BBB GMC calls again, and say 22 cents a mile for all the miles up to me calling BBB. I say no. Sitting in the Arbitration, GMC calls again, they tell me to answer. 22 cents a mile up to the first report of trouble is what I have to pay, and they will replace it with an identical 2006. Thats what I accepted as the truck had 2145 miles on it the first tow.

I would never even consider a buy back. They bought the truck back because they could not figure out what was wrong. That was a night mare. I really hope my truck was not resold, but I am sure it was.

I would run as far as possible from a buy back. The big three hate to buy a vehicle back, and only do so when they can not make it right.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

#1 Buyback is not a lemon car. The whole reason a manufacturer buys back a car is to prevent the lemon process. Go read the OP's post.

#2 I did not portray anyone as prissy, and even if I did that is hardly a "personal attack". You prefer the word fussy?? I don't know how else to describe someone that thinks a car with a brand new engine, backed by a better than new warranty, is somehow a stinker.

I did not say once that no one is allowed to have an opinion. My comment is don't listen to other fussy owner's, make up your own mind.
1) But, he was asking for opinions. He may not have experienced this type of situation before.

2) For the title to have changed. It had to have been through a state or federal lemon law. GM wouldnt be changing it out of the goodnesd of their heart.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, everyone, thanks for your comments. since the car was not in a place where a trusted mechanic would be able to look at it, I passed. found a really good deal I think. 2016 NRB 2LT with everything blacked out looks amazing. don't normally like the black wheels but with the car they hit it really well.

got it for almost 6K under NADA guide value

Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

well, thanks to everyone's comments I passed since I did not have a trusted Mechanic in the area where the car was.

Found a nice 2016 NRB 2LT totally blacked out that looks sweet.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/re...14jmk.jpg.html

Well they want 300.00 dollars for me to be able to post pictures. Not happening.

Lets try this one

Name:  Q7Z1mV6.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  2.00 MB

Last edited by recentlydivorced; 05-10-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Landru (05-16-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Nice looking car, congratulations!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
As previously indicated, a new engine for complaint of an oil leak???

Why look for trouble.
Oil leak from a cracked block most likely. Many GM buybacks go un branded. Not sure how they get away with it.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:02 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, great looking car!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by recentlydivorced
Well, everyone, thanks for your comments. since the car was not in a place where a trusted mechanic would be able to look at it, I passed. found a really good deal I think. 2016 NRB 2LT with everything blacked out looks amazing. don't normally like the black wheels but with the car they hit it really well.

got it for almost 6K under NADA guide value.
What was "NADA guide value" on the car?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What was "NADA guide value" on the car?
with the 2LT and other extras just under 48000k
Skid Row Joe (05-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Manufacturer Rebuy

Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 AM
GWS24
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by recentlydivorced
with the 2LT and other extras just under 48000k
How many miles? I just picked up a 2016 2LT vert with 5000 miles for $49K. Laguna Blue.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would keep looking. Too many good deals out there on C7s yo acceptnone with a tarnished history.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:39 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Originally Posted by GWS24

How many miles? I just picked up a 2016 2LT vert with 5000 miles for $49K. Laguna Blue.

Quick Reply: Manufacturer Rebuy