Sponsored by:

Warranty issues & questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 AM
michelve
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Warranty issues & questions

My 3 years warranty with gm expired back on march this year, but i purchased an extended warranty from the dealer when i bought the car up to 5yrs or 72K miles. And the new warranty does not want to cover this issue.

I took the vette to the dealer like around 8 months ago to fix the rattling noise that comes from the roof panel. i think they replaced the pin go goes attached in the from of the panel. Now im experiencing the same issue but worse it literally feels like the roof is loose or about to fly away, you feel it the most on bumpy roads.

I took the car to the dealer and this was their response:
New Transparent Top: PN# GM 23412816
Covers: PN# GM 23412812 and GM 23412813
Retainers: 11546361 (x6)

So my questions are:

Should the dealer fixed this issue since the previous labor and fixes did not work?

By replacing the covers and retainers will the problem will be fixed or do you guys have a workaround, i rad in the forum by using o-rings the issue will be fixed temporary, what do you guys suggested based in your experience?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

All extended warranties have exclusions listed in Exclusion List.
Look at your policy, learn what is covered by what isn't covered.
Body 'fitment' issues etc usually isn't covered.
This one's on your dime.

Good news is since B2B expired and AMW isn't covering [it]?
Try an independent body shop, ideally one Corvette Club folks use.

Good shops, unlike GM's dealerships, c/would remedy this problem and for a fair price.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:49 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I sure as heck wouldn't pay the dealer out of pocket to fix this issue. Check to make sure the pins were replaced by the service bulletin issued a couple years back for "roof rattle" I think the SB replacement pins are white?. If not take it back to the dealer that did the original work and ask why they didn't comply with the SB when you had it in?
Also, if they give you too much crap, just buy the SB pins and put them in yourself.
Check the pull pressure on your front latches, they should be "snug" at engage while latching, not loose or too easy to engage or unlatch. That will make it rattle and in fact may be loose enough to unlatch and lose the roof while driving.
My dealer did the service bulletin on mine with new pins but screwed up the latch pressure big time -- one was easy open, like two fingers (too loose) and the other took both hands pulling hard to unlatch.
Also, the o-ring did work for the fix in the past.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:26 AM
michelve
Pro

thank you guys i think i will fix it myself

@kenownr - yes it has the white pins

i started a new thread here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597210045

Last edited by michelve; 05-16-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

IMO, I think the dealer is obligated to fix the roof @ no charge sine they failed to before. The issue arose while the car was under warranty and the dealership attempted to fix it. The repair was not successful so it should be handled as a continuing warranty repair.

I'd go back and at least pose this to the dealership.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle21735472/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bp/fight-...150806354.html

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 05-16-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I kind of agree with the post I quoted below.
Depends a little on the dealer maybe, but I would check with them in regards to how they warranty the repair work they do.
It might be pretty short, but who knows, they may have a 1 year warranty on repairs they do...but it sure seems like 8 months is a pretty short time to lapse and have the problem fail again.
Seems worth pushing them a little bit on it...

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
IMO, I think the dealer is obligated to fix the roof @ no charge sine they failed to before. The issue arose while the car was under warranty and the dealership attempted to fix it. The repair was not successful so it should be handled as a continuing warranty repair.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:41 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Typically a repeat repair for the same issue could be acceptable to cover past the bumper to bumper warranty period. We've seen repeat failures of parts or similar issues that happen just out the B2B warranty. GM allows dealers to use policy adjustments for repeat failures or known issues that happen within a reasonable amount of time after warranty is up.

Most extended warranties do not cover trim items and other issues that cause rattle, squeaks or other noises. However they will usually cover items that are a safety issue, like roofs flying off. Wording the repair order differently can help. I've had them cover roof latches and pins when a customer has a concern of "roof will not stay latched or roof panel will not completely lock in place."

RICH
The following 4 users liked this post by RichieRichZ06:
Landru (05-17-2018), Maxie2U (05-16-2018), michelve (05-17-2018), Red C8 of Jax (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 AM
michelve
Pro

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Typically a repeat repair for the same issue could be acceptable to cover past the bumper to bumper warranty period. We've seen repeat failures of parts or similar issues that happen just out the B2B warranty. GM allows dealers to use policy adjustments for repeat failures or known issues that happen within a reasonable amount of time after warranty is up.

Most extended warranties do not cover trim items and other issues that cause rattle, squeaks or other noises. However they will usually cover items that are a safety issue, like roofs flying off. Wording the repair order differently can help. I've had them cover roof latches and pins when a customer has a concern of "roof will not stay latched or roof panel will not completely lock in place."

RICH

thank you RichieRichZ06, i will retry the dealer with this in mind.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM
michelve
Pro

#update - i called gm and they will take care of this - +1 for GM - very happy
Old 05-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Personally, I would fix it and sue them PERIOD.That effin roof shouldn't leak or rattle. It's Not 1982. Typical GM BS that continues to go on. I think those MFERS should have been left to gone out of business like I hoped for since 1982. Can't believe I fell for the Hype of an American Car, Corvette or not. THIS IS PATHETIC. If they won't fix it and it's an known issue that they never fixed.....SUE THEM. I would spend All the money to hold those aholes accountable. Good Luck

Last edited by Deweyox; 05-18-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:53 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Deweyox
Personally, I would fix it and sue them PERIOD.That effin roof shouldn't leak or rattle. It's Not 1982. Typical GM BS that continues to go on. I think those MFERS should have been left to gone out of business like I hoped for since 1982. Can't believe I fell for the Hype of an American Car, Corvette or not. THIS IS PATHETIC. If they won't fix it and it's an known issue that they never fixed.....SUE THEM. I would spend All the money to hold those aholes accountable. Good Luck
Apparently someone doesn't like GM :-)
Old 05-18-2018, 04:15 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

^^^ Or forgot their meds.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

How do you wind up with ten thousand dollars? Start with a million bucks and sue GM!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by michelve
My 3 years warranty with gm expired back on march this year, but i purchased an extended warranty from the dealer when i bought the car up to 5yrs or 72K miles. And the new warranty does not want to cover this issue.

I took the vette to the dealer like around 8 months ago to fix the rattling noise that comes from the roof panel. i think they replaced the pin go goes attached in the from of the panel. Now im experiencing the same issue but worse it literally feels like the roof is loose or about to fly away, you feel it the most on bumpy roads.

I took the car to the dealer and this was their response:
New Transparent Top: PN# GM 23412816
Covers: PN# GM 23412812 and GM 23412813
Retainers: 11546361 (x6)

So my questions are:

Should the dealer fixed this issue since the previous labor and fixes did not work?

By replacing the covers and retainers will the problem will be fixed or do you guys have a workaround, i rad in the forum by using o-rings the issue will be fixed temporary, what do you guys suggested based in your experience?

If a dealer "fixed" the roof once and it wasn't done correctly THAT dealer should keep trying until you are satisfied.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty issues & questions

Quick Reply: Warranty issues & questions