C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm Accumulating Spoiler Scratches and DK...Why!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:16 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Sorry, I don't want to pile on what's already been said, but every pic you posts points to damage from the top being stored and removed.

I think your top is the culprit. There are no marks on the top of either the spoiler (like a bird sitting there and looking down at it's reflection or the hatch lid if it was sitting and looking at itself.. There are no marks on the top of the hatch lid like there would be for some other critter wandering around on the top of your car. If it was a cat jumping up from the rear and using the spoiler for leverage to pull itself up, there would be puncture marks in the weather seal and marks on the hatch lid.

Add that to the fact that there are no marks on the center of the spoiler, as there would be likely if a critter was to blame, I don't see this as being critter-caused.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

After you get it corrected you might want to cover the spoiler with XPel (it is self healing) to prevent it in the future. Hope you find a cure because I can imagine how you feel. It would bug the crap out of me for sure.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:13 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the problem with ScratchX is that people think they can use it by hand to correct issues in Corvette clear. With my PC it works ok. By hand it’s almost useless.

I have removed some serious issues caused by a lady who backed her Tahoe into my front bumper on my 2008. With about two hours of progrsssive polishing with the PC the bumper was way better. I also fixed issues done by the body shop when they replaced my 2013 bumper and tried rather poorly to correct a paint imperfection. In all cases the PC and the right pads did the trick. Not ScratchX. I have bought about six tubes of it and won’t buy any more.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:22 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
I think the problem with ScratchX is that people think they can use it by hand to correct issues in Corvette clear. With my PC it works ok. By hand it’s almost useless.

I have removed some serious issues caused by a lady who backed her Tahoe into my front bumper on my 2008. With about two hours of progrsssive polishing with the PC the bumper was way better. I also fixed issues done by the body shop when they replaced my 2013 bumper and tried rather poorly to correct a paint imperfection. In all cases the PC and the right pads did the trick. Not ScratchX. I have bought about six tubes of it and won’t buy any more.
I agree. With that many scratches it would take hours by hand. I have used the product on my car for an isolated scratch or swirl here in there, but it takes me about 40 rubs back on forth. Not bad for one little area, but with he has there it would be a couple of hours by hand.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm putting my money on alligator or penguin.........

The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 08:18 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

I anticipated being careless going in and out of the trunk over that high lip so I had the spoiler covered with xpel when i had the bumper and rockers done. The xpel installer had that area already in the computer for precise cut and it worked great.
Those scratches look too deep to buff out.

I would look into covering the spoiler with a carbon flash wrap. If you use an xpel installer he could use the xpel pattern to precisely cut the wrap material rather than free hand it
I believe it cost me $125 to xpel the spoiler back in 2015. That should compare favorably to repaint and you would be protected from future damage

Last edited by blueray16; 05-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Those aren’t from any animal.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:32 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

This is like some kind of crime mystery, is there a Sherlock homes on the board?

It sucks man, this would drive me crazy if it were my car. It doesn't look like it was caused by your roof panel. If it's not an animal then someone is messing with your car. That's not from rocks or road debris. And those scratches are deep, they're not going to buff out. Wait to see if any more scratches appear and if they don't get it repainted - it's just a spoiler so it shouldn't cost all that much to paint.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't read anyone else making these suggestions, but do you wear a watch and/or bracelet on your wrists? Any buttons or cufflinks on your shirts/jackets?

Bill B.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Baird
I haven't read anyone else making these suggestions, but do you wear a watch and/or bracelet on your wrists? Any buttons or cufflinks on your shirts/jackets?

Bill B.
Maybe he plays for Miami?

Last edited by Thunder22; 05-14-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I would not do anything to repair the scratches until I consciously examined my habits for taking things in and out of the rear hatch. Doing that will enable you to rule out that it is anything you are doing to cause those scratches.

For example a few months ago I detailed the car and then loaded up the back to take some things over to a friends house. I get over there and notice a couple of scratches in the around the rear emblem area. I thought how in the hell could I have missed those when I detailed the car today? I looked at my pants and they had no metal or anything abrasive. After I got home I examined the pants more closely and noted there was a little clear string that was attached to a price tag that hadn't been clipped off the pants. Could hardly see it. Lined up perfectly where the scratches were. Solved, and fortunately the Scratch X removed the scratches.

Anyway, don't fix it until you can figure out the cause. Otherwise you'll have a new paint job, or spent all that time removing the scratches and it will be scratched again.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:50 AM
DuvalVette
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Baird

Bill B.
Hey Bill. No watches or cufflinks. It's the damnedest thing.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM
DuvalVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Maybe he plays for Miami?

Like I said, I don't think it was a rodent
Old 05-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by DuvalVette
Like I said, I don't think it was a rodent
I've been waiting for a response considering your avatar
Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 PM
DuvalVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by joemessman
I would not do anything to repair the scratches until I consciously examined my habits for taking things in and out of the rear hatch. Doing that will enable you to rule out that it is anything you are doing to cause those scratches.

For example a few months ago I detailed the car and then loaded up the back to take some things over to a friends house. I get over there and notice a couple of scratches in the around the rear emblem area. I thought how in the hell could I have missed those when I detailed the car today? I looked at my pants and they had no metal or anything abrasive. After I got home I examined the pants more closely and noted there was a little clear string that was attached to a price tag that hadn't been clipped off the pants. Could hardly see it. Lined up perfectly where the scratches were. Solved, and fortunately the Scratch X removed the scratches.

Anyway, don't fix it until you can figure out the cause. Otherwise you'll have a new paint job, or spent all that time removing the scratches and it will be scratched again.
I'm on board with that. I'll be monitoring my habits closely but it just doesn't seem feasible that I would continuously and firmly scrap my spoiler. I'm always careful.

I'm going to take some more pictures tonight as I think I have more evidence. We shall see
Old 05-14-2018, 02:55 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

IDEA! Measure the distance between the pins, then take your tape measure to the scratches and see if there are any 'pairs' that line up with the distance....

you're welcome! lol
Old 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Watches. Zippers. Bracelet?

op. If you want to have some fun buy a 50 dollar hunting camera and put it up facing your car. They work really well. You can set it up for multiple photos or even video. Has ir vision for nighttime

or it's you or someone taking things out of hatch letting them drag over. Like a jacket with a zipper something. Grocery bags?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-14-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! I'm Accumulating Spoiler Scratches and DK...Why!?

Old 05-14-2018, 03:29 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DuvalVette
So I took some better pictures for you guys and I still just dont get it. I also practiced my closing motion with my top in the trunk and I just cannot imagine a way I would continually scrap the spoiler. I mean its idiot proof. I even took pictures as to how I do it. Looked all at the edge of the top and there is no sign of paint or anything. The scratches look very consistent to one another but not like a paw or anything. They really do not look like animal scratches. I just dont know. I bought some flour at the store and for the next couple of nights, I'm going to put some on the area right in front of the spoiler and see if there are some tracks left behind. I seriously cannot imagine either scenario (top or animal) being the cause but I'm just flat out stumped. It's starting to look bad and frustrating me here. I pretty much have to have this repainted and I've accepted that and will pay the cost (which I have no idea what it will cost) but I'm not painting it until I find out why this is. Im vegan for health reasons as well as not to hurt other beings but if it is a cat or some animal cause this, they're living on borrowed time right now....

Just a thought...but do you have rings on both hands???
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

GoPro camera. Let us know what you find!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

It's the pins.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm Accumulating Spoiler Scratches and DK...Why!?