Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Consumer reports statistical data is skewed in my opinion as they only use data from consumer reports readers..

Trash in, trash out...

Worthless reports.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:24 AM
LiberatedLuis
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The only issue I've had is sometimes the right speaker rattles. It's not the speaker itself, but the door handle on the passenger side. When I pull it tight against me (the driver side) the issue subsides. All in all I absolutely love the car, and couldn't be happier with my first Vette.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I posted this info here a while back and was thoroughly flamed with idiotic 'CR is a libtard publication, eff them' and 'my C7 is solid as a rock' commentary.

1.) CR is the only entity that's ever done a study regarding reliability of ANY size sampling on this car. There's probably something to it, if you have two friggin brain cells to rub together and you can think OBJECTIVELY about it for two minutes.

2.) Your individual anecdotal experience, positive or negative, is not relevant.

3.) Cars in general have become SO much more reliable than 20+ years ago, that I'd argue that even though C7s may indeed be far less reliable than the average 2018 or 2017 new car, they are still probably far MORE reliable than ANY car built c. 1998 including the C5. In other words, the worst car today might be as good or better than the best car of a prior era, so C7s are overall VERY reliable cars in the big picture.

WHY do people here get angry and defensive when GM is called out for making cars that are sub-par by 2018 standards? Not by some hostile editorial board, but by CR's survey results from subscribers who bought the car @ retail. It is what it is. Maybe if GM hears this, they'll make their cars better. If that happens, we all win, including GM. But this idea that this is some pinko commie plot to tear down GM is preposterous. I love the C7, kudos to GM for making such a great car. Now it would be nice if they stop making face palm gaffes like the A8 tranny on these sleds.

After the spectacular job they did with the C7 development and production, Tadge's team shouldn't be undermined by stuff like the A8 fiasco. I'm sure there are suits inside GM that get this, even if some hot headed C7 owners don't.

I think you pretty much nailed it.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I think you pretty much nailed it.
The degree to which some of the lame brains here seem to find this seemingly benign information threatening is poignantly revealing.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Consumer reports statistical data is skewed in my opinion as they only use data from consumer reports readers..

Trash in, trash out...

Worthless reports.
Explain how I'm 'trash' because I subscribe to Consumer Reports. Cite your sources. I don't have to explain how anyone making the statement above is a friggin moron, that's self-evident.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,924 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Seems to be an annual event the great Consumer Report on the Corvette quality and the ensuing debate on its validity along with the mandatory name calling.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

I got my 18 z06 2lz auto in Jan of this year. Only issues were paint coming off the bumper so they sent a factory painted new bumper with a new hood emblem and the targa top used to creak and they fixed. They gave me a loaner equinox while it was being fixed. Only thing that will cost me is that I will pay to have the front bumper ceramic coated again since its brand new.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
When did GM ever focus on QUALITY

Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

CR's rating depends on a couple of things for me, and I didn't read the study as to how it was done so apologies in advance if it's explained already:

1) Did they base their rating against just those who responded to their survey ?
or
2) Did they base the responses against the total # of cars built in a given model year?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I once bought a vacuum cleaner based on a consumer reports "best buy" rating. I found the section with vacuum cleaners and studied the tests and this model had the best reliability, the highest suction, and the cheapest price. I ordered it online - it was like $49... It turned out to be the biggest POS I'd ever seen, yes it worked and yes it probably had as much or more suction than other models but wow the thing was a plastic pile of junk, I ended up giving it to the good will and I bought a Miele (for nearly $1000) So, I learned that in the world of CR testing, practicality does not equal quality.

CR has its place but there are intangibles that matter and for most of us having a car that places high on a list of practicality tests is not one of them...

My wife said it the other day and I agree with her - "life is too short to drive a Camry"
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Maybe GM should send a poll out to all Vette owners about CR.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I simply do not believe these retrospective numbers comparing so many MYs to each other over such a long period of time. The sampling methodology and data collection methods have changed so many times over the years, that they are neither comparable, nor scientifically valid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Mike Campbell (05-14-2018), speedlink (05-16-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
ANYONE on the forums long enough should know how many had serious troubles with their 2005's. Especially manuals. WAY worse than any C7.
The 2005 C6 had ONE problem with their manual transmission when Tremec shipped some transmissions with a badly machined snap ring groove.

The problem was quickly identified when owners started bringing their cars with manual back to their dealers in 2005. GM analyzed the transmissions, discovered the reason for the problems, and issued a stop selling order to the dealers that had unsold manual transmission cars in stock.

Of course they had to keep the assembly line going, so all the cars they built with manual transmissions were sidelined(not shipped to the ordering dealer) until Tremec could start feeding Bowling Green with correctly machined transmissions. Then GM started shipping new transmissions to the dealers that had customers car's waiting, and then supplied new transmissions to the dealers that had unsold manual transmission cars in their inventory(that had a stop selling order applied).

Then GM built up an inventory of new transmissions and had the sidelined cars that were sitting in Bowling Green, shipped to Jack Roush in Detroit to have the new transmissions installed(assembly line style). Then the cars, with the new transmissions installed by Jack Roush were shipped to the dealers that had originally ordered those cars.

What more could you ask for? Sure it affected some early buyers of early 2005 C6's that wanted a manual transmission, but since most customers were ordering the auto transmission, not that many new owners were directly affected by the bad transmissions.

The problem was quickly resolved and never showed up again during the C6's run, nor in the C7's run.

Of course, all those 2005 C6's with the bad transmissions that were never sold until corrected by GM, would have been a fly spec on CR's response to their survey, as not that many customers actually ended up with a 2005 C6 with a bad manual transmission.

Now on the other had, GM had a much larger problem with the coupes with painted targa tops as the glue would not adhere to the polycarbonate roof panel, resulting in several recalls on a huge amount of 2005's and a bunch of 2006's.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hoonose (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Half of you just don't get it do you? They mostly ask owners if the car has been reliable and if not, what areas on the car were problematic. They compile the answers and compare cars and the ones with less problems overall get a higher score for reliability. That's it. As I stated earlier, a 2018 car can be at the bottom of that list relative to other modern cars and STILL be highly reliable overall, today's cars don't break nearly as much as cars did 20 or even 10 years ago.

The degree to which half the people here act as if CR conducting this survey and reporting the results is akin to spraying graffiti on the Sistine Chapel ceiling is remarkable. I hope you're all more secure in your own manhood.
Quit over reacting. I asked a simple question. By what criteria are consumers judging the car to be "unreliable" ?

I lost a lot of faith in this type of survey when the Hummer H2 was getting dinged for "poor quality" due to poor fuel economy. It's a Suburban with another couple hundred pounds of crap bolted to it. Of course it's going to have poor fuel economy. If you buy a gigantic truck and then complain about the fuel economy, that has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle and everything to do with your screwed up expectations.

So if CR has people complaining that the car is "unreliable" because the owners can't be bothered to learn how to work the touchscreen, then I have no use for their "data". If the car was in the shop for 5 days because the dealer needed a part that was on back order, then is the car unreliable? Or is it a problem with GMs supply chain?

If someone has hard data on problems with this car, then let's have that discussion. But I'm really not interested in a survey subjective opinions.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 05-14-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:37 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Sometimes anecdotal experience doesn't mesh with larger real world reality. We had an LG washer a few years back that never worked right, in the end after three years of trying to get it fixed (we had a Lowe's extended warranty), Lowe's threw up their hands and just refunded our money for the appliance. This despite the fact CR rated that brand has highly reliable. So I get it, sometimes they SEEM get it wrong. That doesn't mean they did. Your PERCEPTION is that maybe they did. Hard to say for sure of course.

But I don't think they have it wrong on Corvettes, particularly with the A8 trans headaches. That last problem is probably the big source of CR rating C7s as unreliable, so if you have an M7 or an A8 that works (and I'm sure 90%++ of them are fine), you think CR is nuts. It doesn't take much to knock a car from most reliable to least reliable in 2018, cars are generally pretty trouble free these days.

They're talking about the RELATIVE reliability of contemporary cars, not your dick size boys. Calm down already.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-14-2018 at 09:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
Koufax (05-14-2018), Mister Big (05-17-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:40 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Quit over reacting. I asked a simple question. By what criteria are consumers judging the car to be "unreliable" ?

I lost a lot of faith in this type of survey when the Hummer H2 was getting dinged for "poor quality" due to poor fuel economy. It's a Suburban with another couple hundred pounds of crap bolted to it. Of course it's going to have poor fuel economy. If you buy a gigantic truck and then complain about the fuel economy, that has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle and everything to do with your screwed up expectations.

So if CR has people complaining that the car is "unreliable" because the owners can't be bothered to learn how to work the touchscreen, then I have no use for their "data". If the car was in the shop for 5 days because the dealer needed a part that was on back order, then is the car unreliable? Or is it a problem with GMs supply chain?

If someone has hard data on problems with this car, then let's have that discussion. But I'm really not interested in a survey subjective opinions.
Consumers are NOT deeming the cars 'unreliable'. Consumers are answering a survey telling CR what broke on their cars. Then Consumer Reports is rating the RELATIVE reliability of these cars. And it's easy to believe that 100 new Corvettes have more issues than 100 new Toyotas. But Corvettes are a slim slice of the market, and 400,000 readers isn't a huge sample, so you're going to get fewer answers from Corvette owners.

Many of you are mistaking this for some 'scientific' study. It's not. It's a survey of car owners, CR then tells you what cars did better, that's all. Take it or leave it. Try not to have an aneurism, as many of you seem to be.
The following 3 users liked this post by patentcad:
Koufax (05-14-2018), Mister Big (05-17-2018), Rich0071 (12-08-2022)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Sometimes anecdotal experience doesn't mesh with larger real world reality. We had an LG washer a few years back that never worked right, in the end after three years of trying to get it fixed (we had a Lowe's extended warranty), Lowe's threw up their hands and just refunded our money for the appliance. This despite the fact CR rated that brand has highly reliable. So I get it, sometimes they get it wrong.

But I don't think they have it wrong on Corvettes, particularly with the A8 trans headaches. That last problem is probably the big source of CR rating C7s as unreliable, so if you have an M7 or an A8 that works (and I'm sure 90%++ of them are fine), you think CR is nuts. It doesn't take much to knock a car from most reliable to least reliable in 2018, cars are generally pretty trouble free these days.

They're talking about the RELATIVE reliability of contemporary cars, not your dick size boys. Calm down already.
you should lay off the caffeine too

Last edited by Thunder22; 05-14-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5

Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 AM
patentcad
Drifting

That comment above about how if a consumer can't work the touchscreen, it's not the car's fault, that's ridiculous, and not at all relevant.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thunder22
you should lay off the caffeine too
I'm sorry, there's enough ******* stupid coming across the news wires, some of the comments here seem like piling on. Good grief.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Wow, I do have a trouble free C6 going on 10 years

Quick Reply: C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5