C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by St!ngray
LT1 with 1430 miles and never has been revved past 4500 just developed a laud tapping on the passenger side.
Maybe that’s why. These engines are built to be run hard and need exercise.

Just a thought....
Old 05-19-2018, 09:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I was looking at the Consumer Reports Reliability ratings for the C7 vs. the C6 and C5, and the results are startling. Before everyone groans about it being Consumer Reports, the results are based on actual users, not their editorial staff. The C5 had a Very Poor reliability rating in 2000 (steering wheel lock, active handling faults, piston slap, leaking batteries?), but was quite reliable near the end of the run. The C6 was even more reliable in the early years than the C7, and went years with their top reliability ratings after that. Meanwhile the C7 started off with a Very Poor rating, and in five years has not improved at all. Below are the overall reliability verdicts.

2000 C5 = Very Poor
2001 C5 = not available
2002 C5 = Average
2003 C5 = Excellent
2004 C5 = Excellent

2005 C6 = Good
2006 C6 = Good
2007 C6 = Average
2008 C6 = Excellent
2009 C6 = Excellent
2010 C6 = not available
2011 C6 = Excellent
2012 C6 = Excellent
2013 C6 = Excellent

2014 C7 = Very Poor
2015 C7 = Very Poor
2016 C7 = Very Poor
2017 C7 = Very Poor

I checked some other Chevy models. The Camaro reliability has sunk like a rock down to Very Poor with the 6th Gen. The Cruze is in the toilet. The current generation Malibu is going down. The Impala is up at least. My gut instinct is GM is not focusing on quality like they used to. GM has some work to do.
The problem with CR is it is based on the actual users that are CR members. That is a select group of people and that automatically means the sample is biased. You can't take anything positive or negative out of the results. Another problem I have with CR and other reports is they include trips to the dealer to find out how to operate the electronics as a failure. Most of that is just dumb Customers.

Bill
Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I'll never get why people need to rationalize GM's quality issues. In 2018, even cars that are below average in reliability are like 98% reliable anyway. I'm very happy with my 2017 Corvette, I hope my luck holds out, but I believe CR's consumer's surveys for the most part, even if I take everything with a grain of salt.

EVERYTHING.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-20-2018 at 06:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem with CR is it is based on the actual users that are CR members. That is a select group of people and that automatically means the sample is biased. You can't take anything positive or negative out of the results. Another problem I have with CR and other reports is they include trips to the dealer to find out how to operate the electronics as a failure. Most of that is just dumb Customers.

Bill
How is it biased if the same sampling method is applied to all vehicles?

Also if you look at the reports in detail, they have a lot more categories than just in-car electronics. The C7 has gotten low scores in many other categories.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:19 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Well it seems that no one of us care about CR & JD Powers when we bought our C7 Stingrays, we love our cars because of the dream car looks and its performance on par with many exotic European and japanese sport cars I didn't bought my '14 because of its reliability, if I compared with my prior sport cars, my '02 Porsche 911 Carrera was the worst one (I really hated that car) it was very unreliable but it's followed by my '14 Corvette because of its overheating issues, its water pump and electrical fan replaced under warranty.
My '05 Infiniti G35 coupe, was excellent not a problem followed by my '14 Camaro ZL1 and '11 Mustang GT 5.0
Coincidentally to the only two cars that I purchased an extended warranty were the Porsche and the Corvette because I didn't trust their reliability. On the others I didn't need one.
If I was looking for reliability I would purchase a Toyota or Honda which have been our regular DD for very long time, which are super reliable.
On other hand I have learned by experience that the recommendations by CR aren't always accurate to take them seriously, for a long time I was a suscriber and never purchased electronics or home equipment without checking them first, but later found that most of their recommendations were wrong having problems with most of them, until I followed my wife's advise of stop paying attention to them, and she was right. I stopped waisting my time and money reading their articles wich weren't accurate based on my own experience.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:26 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Well it seems that no one of us care about CR & JD Powers when we bought our C7 Stingrays, we love our cars because of its dream car looks and its performance that is on par with many exotic European and japanese sport cars, and best part it's American I didn't bought my '14 C7 because of its reliability, if I compared it with my prior sport cars, my '02 Porsche 911 Carrera was the worst one (I really hated that car) it was very unreliable, but it's followed by my '14 Corvette because of its overheating issues: its water pump and electrical fan replaced under warranty. And the automatic transmission A6 tends to overheat at the track.
My '05 Infiniti G35 coupe, it was excellent not a problem, followed closely by my '14 Camaro ZL1 and my '11 Mustang GT 5.0.
Coincidentally to the only two cars that I purchased an extended warranty were the Porsche and the Corvette because I didn't trust their reliability. On the others I didn't needed one.
If I was looking for reliability I would purchase a Toyota or a Honda vehicle, which have been our regular DD for very long time, and are super reliable.
On other hand I have learned by experience that the recommendations by CR aren't always accurate, to take them seriously, for a long time I was a suscriber and never purchased electronics or home equipment without checking them first. But later I found out that most of their recommendations were completely wrong, having us problems with most of them, until I followed my wife's advise of stop paying attention to them, and she was right. I stopped waisting my time and money reading their articles wich weren't accurate based on our own experience with them.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Here's the way I look at it. I'm fairly sure the guy that buys a new 911, or MB AMG isn't worried about the reliability of the car. They buy them for what they are. And, that's the reason I buy Corvette's. I figure if it breaks the dealer will fix it under warranty, of I'll pay to have it fixed. It's a Corvette, I've owned at least one for the last 30 years, and if at all possible there will be one in my garage for years to come. Reliability be damned.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 05-20-2018 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (05-20-2018), VETTE-NV (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:18 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I have owned all of those years and I feel like the c7 is FAR better built and solid then them all. My C5 felt like such a pile. Knocks on wood.
VETTE-NV (05-20-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Here's the way I look at it. I'm fairly sure the guy that buys a new 911, or MB AMG isn't worried about the reliability of the car. They buy them for what they are. And, that's the reason I buy Corvette's. I figure if it breaks the dealer will fix it under warranty, of I'll pay to have it fixed. It's a Corvette, I've owned at least one for the last 30 years, and if at all possible there will be one in my garage for years to come. Reliability be damned.
Originally Posted by badass1g
I have owned all of those years and I feel like the c7 is FAR better built and solid then them all. My C5 felt like such a pile. Knocks on wood.

Totally agree. The Corvette is purchase of passion, made more with your heart than with your head. It's not the same as buying an appliance or a computer. The last thing I care about when making such a decision is what Consumer Reports says about it....which makes the OP's original post even more irrelevant. If I ever want such information, there are many more credible and direct sources....even this forum for example would give more real world feedback than CR, although in the same way, you have take this place with a grain of salt. Too many people here have their own prejudices and agendas.

To me, purchasing a car like the Corvette is like a having a smokin' hot girlfriend....who is just a little bit crazy. The good will always outweigh the bad, but you have to be prepared for the occasional crazy.....and I'm just fine with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
JerriVette (05-21-2018), Rebel Yell (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:39 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
I stopped waisting my time and money reading their articles wich weren't accurate based on our own experience with them.
Saying CR's findings are 'wrong' based on your own anecdotal experience means you don't understand research in general. The most laughable part of your post is how you put so much faith the unassailable reliability of brands like Toyota and Honda. Generally that works out, sometimes not so much.

Put your faith in God. When it comes to consumer goods, **** happens, and it all breaks.
Mister Big (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Consumer reports says?

That’s like asking some fat 90 year old bitch what she likes about having sex?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
The Corvette is purchase of passion, made more with your heart than with your head. It's not the same as buying an appliance or a computer. The last thing I care about when making such a decision is what Consumer Reports says about it....

To me, purchasing a car like the Corvette is like a having a smokin' hot girlfriend....who is just a little bit crazy. The good will always outweigh the bad, but you have to be prepared for the occasional crazy.....and I'm just fine with that.
Well said and I agree completely.

There are any number of vehicles out there that might be a little more economical, practical, useful and sensible. But I chose to buy a Corvette because it's been a lifelong dream of mine to own one regardless. Do you think that a less-than-stellar review from some magazine is going to keep me from my dream car?

I think not.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExRedRacer:
Rebel Yell (05-21-2018), VETTE-NV (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

That's just silly. Other then the transmission and rear end, my Corvette has been rock solid reliable!

;-)

The only surveys I fill out are the JD Power ones that come with a $5 bill. Otherwise, the only time people generally fill these out is if they have an axe to grind, so how the prior cars rated "Excellent" I don't know.

Last edited by davepl; 05-21-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
That's just silly. Other then the transmission and rear end, my Corvette has been rock solid reliable!

;-)

That's great!

Last edited by Michael A; 05-22-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:36 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
The only surveys I fill out are the JD Power ones that come with a $5 bill.
What! I only got $1 last week when JD Power sent me a survey. I'm going to hold out for the additional $4 next time.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mister Big
What! I only got $1 last week when JD Power sent me a survey. I'm going to hold out for the additional $4 next time.
The other $4 comes from GM after you give the car high ratings.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Seriously Consumer Reports, oh my what to do now.
Rebel Yell (05-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5

Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I was looking at the Consumer Reports Reliability ratings for the C7 vs. the C6 and C5, and the results are startling. Before everyone groans about it being Consumer Reports, the results are based on actual users, not their editorial staff. The C5 had a Very Poor reliability rating in 2000 (steering wheel lock, active handling faults, piston slap, leaking batteries?), but was quite reliable near the end of the run. The C6 was even more reliable in the early years than the C7, and went years with their top reliability ratings after that. Meanwhile the C7 started off with a Very Poor rating, and in five years has not improved at all. Below are the overall reliability verdicts.

2000 C5 = Very Poor
2001 C5 = not available
2002 C5 = Average
2003 C5 = Excellent
2004 C5 = Excellent

2005 C6 = Good
2006 C6 = Good
2007 C6 = Average
2008 C6 = Excellent
2009 C6 = Excellent
2010 C6 = not available
2011 C6 = Excellent
2012 C6 = Excellent
2013 C6 = Excellent

2014 C7 = Very Poor
2015 C7 = Very Poor
2016 C7 = Very Poor
2017 C7 = Very Poor

I checked some other Chevy models. The Camaro reliability has sunk like a rock down to Very Poor with the 6th Gen. The Cruze is in the toilet. The current generation Malibu is going down. The Impala is up at least. My gut instinct is GM is not focusing on quality like they used to. GM has some work to do.
See my latest post (
  1. C7 Engine failure / REBUILD at 4K Miles???) This would seem to confirm your findings and I am asking GM to replace this car.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Come on guys common sense dictates.. All the crazy problems posted here alone tell the story.. The C7 has one stupid problem after another. Cracking windshields. Torque converter disaster paint chipping on the panels. Warble noises. Radio info screen glitching out. Completely unheard of problems with other cars The C7 is the worst by far of any year. Replacing the torque converter is a tear down disaster. I own a C7 and they are not What GM said they would be.. But for you out there that complain remember GM has had a solid record of problem cars since the 70s THEY JUST DONT HAVE THE PEOPLE OR ABILITY TO COMPETE WITH japan Period. Ok now lets hear from the not mine group..

Last edited by kaplana08; 05-24-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:06 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Come on guys common sense dictates.. All the crazy problems posted here alone tell the story.. The C7 has one stupid problem after another. Cracking windshields. Torque converter disaster paint chipping on the panels. Completely unheard of problems with other cars The C7 is the worst by far of any year. Replacing the torque converter is a tear down disaster. I own a C7 and they are not what GM hyped. But for those of. u out there that complain remember GM has had a solid record of problem cars since the 70s THEY JUST DONT HAVE THE PEOPLE OR ABILITY TO COMPETE WITH JAPAN. Period. Ok now lets hear from the not mine group..
or for the money thats the best they can do.or Consumer Reports are not good. Come on Common sense here. If Mary Barra was worth her salt she would go in there and fire the whole C7 department and put some Japanese in charge.

Last edited by kaplana08; 05-24-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5