Sponsored by:

Not impressed with Plycar transportation so far

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:50 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Not impressed with Plycar transportation so far

I purchased a 2019 GS from Criswell on 4/31 and went with their recommendation of Plycar transportation to ship it out to Oregon. I got a couple of quote from other vendors and Plycar was right in the mix, so I agreed.

BTW - Dealing with Criswell was great! They had spot on communication and everything went as smooth as possible.

$2475 to ship a car is not trivial, so I would expect decent communication (like any reputable business) and customer oriented service.

Here are the issues I have had with Plycar so far:

1) They were a full week late to pick up the car. When I called for status after they hadn't shown up, I was met on the phone by a very impatient lady (reminded me of Jeanine from Ghostbusters ha ha) who sent me out to a voice mail. I left a message, but they never returned my call.

2) Their tracking app doesn't work on my iPhone

3) Their website says the BoL # they gave me is invalid

4) I never received an actual receipt. It showed up in my bank account, but there was no email or mail communication.

5) They have not provided even a ballpark delivery date

6) After a week or so in the black hole of cross country delivery, I finally called for status - straight to voice mail, and they didn't return my call. I called again yesterday, and finally got a real person who hurriedly said "Next week sometime"...end of info and absolutely no attempt to ask if I had any other questions.

Anyway - I have heard good reviews of the drivers and the actual transportation of the vehicle. I just hope it's better than their customer service. I'll update the thread when I get my car - hopefully "Next week sometime"..But at this point I would definitely look at other transport services next time around.

Last edited by oregonsharkman; 05-15-2018 at 09:52 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by oregonsharkman:
Bavaria (05-16-2018), blkvet6 (05-20-2018), dmaxx3500 (07-08-2018), Landru (05-15-2018), Red C8 of Jax (05-17-2018), Vetteram (07-09-2018), vettpapaw (06-09-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

05-15-2018, 10:20 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I would ask Criswell. I can't imagine they would say it is between you and Plycar now and walk away. If they are going to recommend Plycar they should help you deal with this situation.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Your car is likely in Mexico by now. Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 AM
dkb218
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$2475? I'd fly to Criswell and drive back in my new Vette but that's just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkb218:
beaversstonehaven (05-17-2018), woodsguy (06-10-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:20 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I would ask Criswell. I can't imagine they would say it is between you and Plycar now and walk away. If they are going to recommend Plycar they should help you deal with this situation.
The following 9 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
Bavaria (05-16-2018), blkvet6 (05-20-2018), Crossed Flags Fan (06-09-2018), dmaxx3500 (06-09-2018), FunDriver (06-09-2018), Maxie2U (05-16-2018), Rebel Yell (05-15-2018), Red C8 of Jax (05-17-2018), Vetteram (05-17-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Sorry for your poor experiences with PlyCar.

When I purchased my 2013 Z06, I narrowed my search to Intercity Lines and PlyCar. Intercity was booked for 2 months and PlyCar charged me approximately $1,300 to transport the Z from Redwood City, CA to Arizona, about an hour south of Tucson in a closed container transport.

Besides the rude asshat I spoke with on the phone, Patrick (my transport driver) was phenominal.

Once he was identified and dispatched for my vehicle, Patrick called me personally and introduced himself, gave me details of his route prior to picking up my car, the date he expected to pick up my car, the deliveries he had to make along the way, and the date he expected to be outside my home.

Patrick kept me up to date of any unforseen changes due to weather or traffic since it was December. When he arrived at Boardwalk Chevrolet, he took numerous photos of the Z and text them to me. Patrick got on his hands and knees and inspected the car top to bottom and underneath. He caught two small scuffs I never would have noticed and a slight 1/8 inch scratch in the doorsill plate. He sent me photos of these three areas. Tim Boone shipped me a new pair of doorsill protectors.

Patrick took delivery and was on his way.

Keep in mind that my pickup was during Christmas rush and delivered within 5 days on 23 December 2013.

Patrick called and said he needed to wash his truck IAW PlyCar policy before delivery. I told him F That, bring me my car and he politely explained "First Impression" policy of a shiny clean delivery truck. When Patrick arrived, his delivery truck was immaculate and spotless!!

Patrick was also patient when I wanted to take numerous photos of the delivery, but needed to get back on the road to get home to Florida for Christmas with his family.

My Z was sitting next to a beautiful Ford GT with $100,000 in "upgrades." After I took delivery of the Z, I took Patrick out for dinner (whatever he wanted) before he hit the road.

Beyond the rude asshat who initially took my order, Patrick is the one who made PlyCar look prestigous and most professional.

That is my experience with PlyCar.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 05-16-2018 at 01:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oregonsharkman (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by dkb218
$2475? I'd fly to Criswell and drive back in my new Vette but that's just me.
It's a brand new car. I'd not want to put cross country miles on it w/o getting paint protection on it first (Expel/skirts/etc). Something can always go wrong mechanically even on a brand new car to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere (even if just a flat tire) with few options. Get that baby home safe, break it in correctly, have your chosen dealer available for any warranty issues that pop up. You mention the cost for shipment but by the time you've paid for airfare, hotels, gas, meals, etc. it's not much to consider when leaving the stress of driving cross country to someone else. I get that OP is stressing a bit with the shipping company (plus YEAH, I can't wait to sit in my new car!), but all in all less than than the doing the long hours on the road with crazy *** drivers/semi trucks/LEOs/etc. JMHO, not wanting to get anything started.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

My experience with Crisswell was that they only gave me names of companies and did not "recommend" any one company. I ordered mine from the factory and had "courtesy "delivery to a local dealer for only $300.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Is your Onstar active? If so, track it via the app.

My Plycar experience was hard only because I made it hard due to me being anxious. I now realize that dealing with car transport companies is hit and miss. Mostly due to the company trying to line up pick ups and deliveries while driving cross country. Times and dates may change while in transport. Sucks, but there are other options. Hang in there, before you know it you will be scheduling your first oil change and enjoying the ride.

Plus, I think Plycar is based in New York, and you know how rude them mopes are. (I was born and raised in NYC so I get a pass for saying that).
Old 05-15-2018, 12:09 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

the stress of driving cross country
you've picked the wrong hobby. chevy even runs a commercial now, an old woman saying something about 'every scratch and scrape just adds a new chapter to old blues (Silverado) history with us.' so true. turning a mint but badly depreciated car over to a new owner down the road just meant the car owned you, you didn't own it. it ain't a privilege worth paying for.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
CP (05-21-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:22 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I would view the opportunity to drive a new car cross country as just that, an opportunity. If you have the time....
The following 2 users liked this post by LimeRay:
beaversstonehaven (05-17-2018), woodsguy (06-10-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:20 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jaylars
Is your Onstar active? If so, track it via the app.

Plus, I think Plycar is based in New York, and you know how rude them mopes are. (I was born and raised in NYC so I get a pass for saying that).
Yes, I have been tracking it with OnStar. It's been my only consolation - watching it Zig Zag across the country with no delivery estimate ha ha.

Yeah I figured the NY thing - hence my reference to the secretary from Ghostbusters.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:23 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Sorry for your poor experiences with PlyCar.

When I purchssed my 2013 Z06, I narrowed my search to Intercity Lines and PlyCar. Intercity was booked for 2 months and PlyCar charged me approximately $1,300 to transport the Z from Redwood City, CA to Arizona, about an hour south of Tucson in a closed container transport.

Besides the rude asshat I spoke with on the phone, Patrick (my transport driver) was phenominal.

Once he was identified and dispatched for my vehicle, Patrick called me personally and introduced himself, gave me details of his route prior to picking up my car, the date he expected to pick up my car, the deliveries he had to make along the way, and the date he expected to be outside my home.

Patrick kept me up to date of any unforseen changes due to weather or traffic since it was December. When he arrived at Boardwalk Chevrolet, he took numerous photos of the Z and text them to me. Patrick got on his hands and knees and inspected the car top to bottom and underneath. He caught two small scuffs I never would have noticed and a slight 1/8 inch scratch in the doorsill plate. He sent me photos of these three areas. Tim Boone shipped me a new pair of doorsill protectors.

Patrick took delivery and was on his way.

Keep in mind that my pickup was during Christmas rush and delivered within 5 days on 23 December 2013.

Patrick called and said he needed to wash his truck IAW PlyCar policy before delivery. I told him F That, bring me my car and he politely explained "First Impression" policy of a shiny clean delivery truck. When Patrick arrived, his delivery truck was immaculate and spotless!!

Patrick was also patient when I wanted to take numerous photos of the delivery, but needed to get back on the road to get home to Florida for Christmas with his family.

My Z was sitting next to a beautiful Ford GT with $100,000 in "upgrades." After I took delivery of the Z, I took Patrick out for dinner (whatever he wanted) before he hit the road.

Beyond the rude asshat who initially took my order, Patrick is the one who made PlyCar look prestigous and most professional.

That is my experience with PlyCar.
Thanks for the story.

Your experience seem to be very much in line with others. A rude front office with great drivers. In the end, I'll be plenty happy assuming a safe delivery, but would definitely look around at other companies based on the front office customer service.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

I had a great experience with Plycar. Had my car picked up on a Thursday[ from Criswell ] and my car was in my state [Ill ] Friday night with a early Saturday delivery straight to my detailer. The driver called me personally Thursday night and told me when he'd be arriving. I never had to deal with dispatch it all happened so quickly. I think I got lucky because he already picked up all his other cars and mine was the last one loaded. He said he loads the cars in order depending on his route how they come off the truck. Mine just happened to be one of the last ones picked up and the first ones delivered. Also the driver was one of the nicest people I ever met. Also washed his truck looked very impressive and professional
Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Onrails
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i waited 12 days for plycar to pick up my gs from Criswell. Same experience for me with their dispatchers. Kept blowing smoke about when they would pick up. I understand logistics and I don't imagine there were any driver's stoked to deliver to Western nebraska but after it was picked up I got better info from their customer service and once in contact with the driver I received very accurate info on expected delivery time. Didn't stop to wash his truck though. Mine was delivered in the rain. Was glad I asked them not to detail it before it went on the truck.
oregonsharkman (05-20-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Like someone mentioned earlier ask Criswell they should be dealing with the transporter. Beside they give them a lot of business so they have leverage, you don’t.

I ordered mine from MacMulkin Chevrolet and they handled everything including providing me with daily updates on its location. I’m sure Criswell will provide you the same just ask.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
Crossed Flags Fan (06-09-2018), dmaxx3500 (07-08-2018), oregonsharkman (05-20-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 AM
LamboCalrissian
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I had serious problems with them when they shipped my Lamborghini. The car arrived with scuffs on the mirrors (which were not previously there), a scuff on the leather, transport driver got into it with oil on his clothing (it has a cream interior), and the front left tire was at 18 PSI when it should be at 46 PSI. The transporter wouldn't allow me to fill the tire with his air compressor for "liability reasons" and told me to drive it home on the nearly flat tire. When these issues were addressed with Plycar they admitted no wrong doing and offered no compensation... I will NEVER use them again!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 AM
billh1963
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
you've picked the wrong hobby. chevy even runs a commercial now, an old woman saying something about 'every scratch and scrape just adds a new chapter to old blues (Silverado) history with us.' so true. turning a mint but badly depreciated car over to a new owner down the road just meant the car owned you, you didn't own it. it ain't a privilege worth paying for.
In the Porsche world we make the analogy that having a great car and not driving it is like dating a supermodel and not sleeping with her because you are saving her for the next guy

Last edited by billh1963; 05-17-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Not impressed with Plycar transportation so far

Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Default The Saga Continues

It's now been sitting at their warehouse in Torrance California for 4 days. In total, it's been 21 days since I completed purchase of the car and 19 days since Plycar charged my account....

No communication and no delivery date - starting to get irritated.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,685 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
It's now been sitting at their warehouse in Torrance California for 4 days. In total, it's been 21 days since I completed purchase of the car and 19 days since Plycar charged my account....

No communication and no delivery date - starting to get irritated.
I don't blame you as communication is a must for me to trust a car with a transport company. Intercity communicates every step of the way and doesn't charge your account until like the day before your car arrives.
intercity lines (05-29-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Man, you're being taken to the woodshed, on that Corvette deal. A testament for doing a courtesy delivery for a built-to-order new Corvette.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-20-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with Plycar transportation so far