C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dealer experience @ 500 mile oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:20 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasjunkie2004
Not to hijack the thread, but how about a reputable dealer in the houston area for a 500 mile oil change?
I've had my 5 free oil changes done at Classic Chevy SugarLand (Houston), all Mobil 1. Great work, no issues.

They mailed me a $20 discount coupon for my next oil change, so probably back there again for my first paid one...
The following 2 users liked this post by NavyBlue2:
gurneyeagle (05-17-2018), vegasjunkie2004 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 AM
USe-car
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Just one more reason to buy a standard Stingray and not one with the dry sump oil system. Even dealers can't figure it out.
The following users liked this post:
Superstar555 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by frankmp
Just curious is there a special certificate the GM Vette techs get? Was thru a shop as part of purchase and see each tech having “master mechanic” cert with yearly stickers on the cert... thx
Not that I am aware of but if you ask around at your dealership there are usually only one or two techs that anyone would let touch their corvette. Find those techs to up your chances of success.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by USe-car
Just one more reason to buy a standard Stingray and not one with the dry sump oil system. Even dealers can't figure it out.
I have a base stingray and now I worry they will put 10 quarts of oil in it.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
A wet sump also should NOT be overfilled. If it is, the oil can hit the spinning crank!

This is what is stated in the CAUTION box in the Owner's Manual:
"Do not add too much oil. Oil levels above or below the acceptable operating range shown on the dipstick are harmful to the engine. If you find that you have an oil level above the operating range, i.e., the engine has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating range, the engine could be damaged. You should drain out the excess oil or limit driving of the vehicle and seek a service professional to remove the excess amount of oil."

I do all my own oil changes and always fill to a level not by some "estimated volume" (as it notes should be done in the 4 volume set of Service Manuals-and what I have done for 60 years!)

If I had a dealer change, I would check the level when I picked up the car. Even in a wet sump the oil should be hot BUT if checking, cold oil it will be a slight bit lower but if it is above the MAX mark on the dip stick tell the dealer and have some removed!

In a dry sump the oil should be hot so let it idle for ~10 minutes and check per the Owner's Manual using a watch! It's not rocket science just have to read! You have to learn to do it right anyway-you do check oil level periodically-don't you??

The problem with mechanics is the same with all skilled trades-not enough good folks want to do it! So a newbie or "Mechanic's Helper" is often assigned to the oil change service bay. May have been flipping burgers a short time before this first mechanics job!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-17-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:03 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by USe-car

"Just one more reason..."

Seriously? That wins the prize for most ridiculous post on the thread.

Amazing how people are so insecure about their purchases that they have to justify it by making such silly posts.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Cork76063
Thanks Ron - I did bring that to their attention, and he disagreed and said no, it's 10 quarts. Told him that just an hour ago, he thought it was only 7 quarts. They put about 9.5 quarts in and gave me the remainder of the bottle.
Sad to read your story. Training, Training, Training. Plus, a Service Adviser's ability to read and comprehend.

It is pretty bad when you take your new 500 mile Corvette for its first oil change and the dealer does not know how many quarts it takes and even worse they don't even have the oil.

I have a base without the dry sump. When I go in for service they say, you missed your 500 mile oil change. I say that is only for the corvettes with dry sumps. They say ok, well you get 3 free oil changes anyway.

I just always request the Corvette tech at my dealership. I don't want anyone else touching it.
Not every dealer will do that--Corvette-tech only to work on an oil change. If you think about their skill level compared to an "oil-changer" plus the fact that a technician makes more money on higher-cost work, it's clear why the Corvette tech MAY not do oil changes at some dealers.

Not that I am aware of but if you ask around at your dealership there are usually only one or two techs that anyone would let touch their corvette. Find those techs to up your chances of success.
Above falcon comment I made applies to this one, too.

It's possible Mistakes are made. If you can "be there" next to whomever does the oil change, it doesn't hurt. Not every shop will allow it tho. I've "corrected" the oil changer person re quarts of oil in the past. He wasn't offended.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves. Dealerships don't stock parts based on you calling to make an appointment. They stock parts based on past sales and it is all computerized. I will guarantee you the parts department had no idea you were coming nor should they have. When you work on one Corvette a week, as many dealers do, they are not a priority regardless of what you paid for it.

The service advisors job is not to work on your car nor to know all the nuances of its capacities. His job is to reduce to writing your complaints and concerns and then to act as the coordinator between you and the technician and to help you through the process of navigating the service department. It is solely the technicians job to understand how to properly complete your service. The best service advisors I ever had never worked on a car but were excellent communicators.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
From the beginning, base dry sump Stingrays have taken 7 qts., and the wet sump versions take 9.8, when totally empty.
Whoops, other way around. Must’ve been tired when you typed this, as I know you know this.
Foosh (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Some of you guys need to get over yourselves. Dealerships don't stock parts based on you calling to make an appointment. They stock parts based on past sales and it is all computerized. I will guarantee you the parts department had no idea you were coming nor should they have. When you work on one Corvette a week, as many dealers do, they are not a priority regardless of what you paid for it.

The service advisors job is not to work on your car nor to know all the nuances of its capacities. His job is to reduce to writing your complaints and concerns and then to act as the coordinator between you and the technician and to help you through the process of navigating the service department. It is solely the technicians job to understand how to properly complete your service. The best service advisors I ever had never worked on a car but were excellent communicators.
Bottom line - if the dealership takes a service appointment for a car they sell, like the corvette, it is their responsibility to have the right oil, the right amount of oil, and oil change people who know how to properly change the oil in your vehicle. If they don't, then the people running the dealership are incompetent, plain and simple.

It is flat out unacceptable for a client to come in for an appointment and the dealership to not have the right amount of oil to complete the job they accepted an appointment for, or for one of their techs to be assigned to the job and not know how to do it.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

Sorry if a customer is coming in for a specific purpose and you know that in advance you should have the part. If you need new tires should you drop off the car for a few days so they can order it????

I find if I get no satisfaction - email to GM and poor yelp and google reviews are a just reward to the dealership service department
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Bottom line - if the dealership takes a service appointment for a car they sell, like the corvette, it is their responsibility to have the right oil, the right amount of oil, and oil change people who know how to properly change the oil in your vehicle. If they don't, then the people running the dealership are incompetent, plain and simple.

It is flat out unacceptable for a client to come in for an appointment and the dealership to not have the right amount of oil to complete the job they accepted an appointment for, or for one of their techs to be assigned to the job and not know how to do it.
This is what really needs to be a sticky. I know some dealers here have reached mythical status--and I had a great purchase transaction from MacMulkin--but the hard fact is that the dealer-manufacturer system is horrible and only exists because of laws and lobbying. In almost all cases, dealers sit in the middle of expensive transactions to siphon money and actually drain value instead of adding any.

The number of posts on this forum detailing dealers that don't know how to do an oil change, that don't know how to do an alignment, that can't change the tires, that have never heard of the MRC software update, that don't seem to be able to read GM bulletins that are posted here in plain english is absurd. And that's just the service side of the equation. Don't get me started on the sales side where they don't know basic vehicle features, don't give a fair trade in value, offer non-competitive finance, make up huge profit-making scams like "dealer doc fees", and then happily take hold back plus the difference between invoice and MSRP for their "value add".

The whole system needs to be scrapped. Or better yet, laws preventing alternative systems need to go away and just watch the dealer system as it is now go extinct. When your entire business model only exists because it is illegal for it not to...there's a huge problem.
AORoads (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Olden Slowe
Whoops, other way around. Must’ve been tired when you typed this, as I know you know this.
Correct and thank you.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
"Just one more reason..."

Seriously? That wins the prize for most ridiculous post on the thread.

Amazing how people are so insecure about their purchases that they have to justify it by making such silly posts.
Actually, this got me curious and I went back to check my invoice for the 2 free oil changes on my Stingray and they have been way overfilled. Once invoice showed a quantity of 10 and another 8 for the quarts of oil used. This is at Parkway Chevy in Tomball Texas. I am so freaking pissed right now and just left a voice mail for the service department manager to call me back. Been driving the car for almost 2 years with it being overfilled.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

One of the few good things about living in CT is I'm near Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown where Paul Koerner is THE Corvette tech. Google his name. I never worry about anything he's done on my C7 up to and including my dry sump oil changes'.
BTW GM has a certification of some tech's they call "GM World Class Technician". Sounds like you guy's should call the dealer to see if they have such a person.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Cork76063
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
All good advice above.

I can't get over any service advisor actually saying, "for 2019, the capacity has changed from 7 to 10 qts." and that someone actually believed that nonsense. From the beginning, base wet sump Stingrays have taken 7 qts., and the dry sump versions take 9.8, when totally empty. The lack of knowledge of the product at dealers is inexcusable, and owners need to inform themselves to defend against the level of incompetence at way too many dealers.

BTW, we still need a sticky on the top of every C7 page saying 9 QUARTS ONLY ON A C7 DRY SUMP DEALER OIL CHANGE AND ADJUST THE LEVEL LATER IF NECESSARY. This has been noted probably a thousand times, yet it still comes up daily. I'm pretty sure the OP now has his overfilled.
Thanks Foosh, but as I stated later on in the tread, the dealership didn't use the entire 10 quarts, and I asked and received the remainder of the 10th quart. Oil level was checked at the dealership and again once I got home.
Foosh (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
This is what really needs to be a sticky. I know some dealers here have reached mythical status--and I had a great purchase transaction from MacMulkin--but the hard fact is that the dealer-manufacturer system is horrible and only exists because of laws and lobbying. In almost all cases, dealers sit in the middle of expensive transactions to siphon money and actually drain value instead of adding any.

The number of posts on this forum detailing dealers that don't know how to do an oil change, that don't know how to do an alignment, that can't change the tires, that have never heard of the MRC software update, that don't seem to be able to read GM bulletins that are posted here in plain english is absurd. And that's just the service side of the equation. Don't get me started on the sales side where they don't know basic vehicle features, don't give a fair trade in value, offer non-competitive finance, make up huge profit-making scams like "dealer doc fees", and then happily take hold back plus the difference between invoice and MSRP for their "value add".

The whole system needs to be scrapped. Or better yet, laws preventing alternative systems need to go away and just watch the dealer system as it is now go extinct. When your entire business model only exists because it is illegal for it not to...there's a huge problem.
Your rant, to anyone with any real knowledge, is obviously based on something read since it has absolutely no relationship to reality. For more than a hundred years, manufacturers have had the right and financial backing to invent another way to distribute vehicles worldwide. Contrary to common thought, major manufacturers have owned and still do own individual dealerships. Most times very unsuccessfully. When asked, manufacturers will tell you their number one asset is their dealer body for a multitude of reasons not understood by most people.

At the end of the day, the only complaint the OP really has is that he waited an inordinate amount of time for an oil change. Who really cares if the service writer does not know how many quarts of oil the car holds? The mechanic obviously did know...hence the wait. Your never going to show me any service facility that always has every part every time in any industry. As said before, sometimes we need to get over ourselves!
JimNeedsC7 (05-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Bad dealer experience @ 500 mile oil change.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I'm not sure why it took so long to get the extra needed oil. They can get it from any auto zone, etc or even from Wally world.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

^^^
Not the new 0W-40 dexos 2 “stuff” being used to fill 2019 Vettes. It’s now the preferred oil to use on all C7’s! Stuff is like hens teeth, only currently at dealers.

Suspect parts dept called NAPA and others that delivery and found out they did not have it either and waited for a few quarts on 0-30 or the European 0-40 (that is not dexos certified) to be delivered! Can hear the dealer parts guy noww: “NAPA, do you have Mobile 0-40 in stock. Reply, sure will send it over in our delivery truck!” NAPA etc had no idea what this new Mobile oil is, just call and ask! I have!

Just changed the oil in my 2017 Grand Sport and used what I have in the past for C7’s, 0-30 Mobil 1 dexos Certifed from Walmart in 5 quart jugs. After the Mobil rebate paid $2.20/quart. Bet they won’t have the new 0W-40 for 6+ months. If it is significantly more money I’ll continue to use what I have in my C7’s since October 2013. I don’t Track so it’s fine for me.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Guess I don't feel so bad taking my own oil now! At least I know the right quantity to bring...

Someone (like the service manager) should have pulled cash out of his wallet and sent a carwash kid over to O'Reiley's to pick up the needed oil while you were waiting. That's how I would have handled it int he real world.

Last edited by davepl; 05-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad dealer experience @ 500 mile oil change.