Mag Ride Update ... Not!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
I think the update should be free.
Why? It is an enhancement, not a bug fix. Do you think that people (even if they are GM employees) are not entitled to get paid for their efforts?

Certainly, it is absolutely not required for any owner. If you are happy as-is, you don't need to get it.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:33 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
2017 GS 1900 miles on it. Stealership in KC says $700.
I thought one of my local dealers had the national record at $600, but yours tops it. They get 0.3 hr. from GM (probably ~$25-30), which won't cover the time involved to process the customer, call the Techline, pay GM, download the software (if they don't already have it), download the upgrade file, set up the MDI and laptop, do the upgrade, and do the finishing processing with the customer. I blame GM for these problems with dealers because they're trying to be greedy and throw the dealers a few crumbs while they grab most of the profits. This imbalance bleeds down to the customer who's stuck in the middle trying to get the upgrade done against dealer resistance. (My 2¢)

Mine took two hours from start to finish, which is probably high since it was the dealer's first MRSC upgrade, but I doubt if any tech can knock it out in 0.3 hrs. As for it being a free upgrade, it's a little different that getting a software update that addresses an issue, usually granted if you complain about some known problem, but MRSC worked fine before the upgrade. It's not as if it won't work without it, and the upgrade is optional. Like $600 for red calipers we pay 'em cause we like 'em.

Last edited by iclick; 05-23-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:50 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Why? It is an enhancement, not a bug fix.
It's an software upgrade just like the software upgrade we get on our phones. Makes for good GM Customer Service and the software is already developed for newer vettes. It just works on older models too.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

They should offer this at Carlisle for 75% off this summer.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

So now the big question...

After doing the update, what did you notice different? What did you actually feel after the update was done?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Cubby558
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

I have not had my Z06 long enough or drove it in the other modes, but I own a CTS-V with magnetic ride control and also had an XLR-V with magnetic ride control, so I know how they ride compared to regular suspensions. I picked up my Z06 this afternoon after the upgrade and had a 20 mile drive home. Took the same route home as I did taking the car in for service. Also left it in Tour mode. I immediately noticed a difference. Subtle but a smoother ride than the original setting. It felt a lot more like my CTS-V, but stiffer than the ride my XLR-V gave in Sport mode. I'll drive it to work tomorrow; an hour ride one way; and try Sport and track mode to see how they feel. So far I feel it was worth the money!

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
So now the big question...

After doing the update, what did you notice different? What did you actually feel after the update was done?

Last edited by Cubby558; 05-23-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
"...You folks need to perform a cranial extraction from the rectal area for this particular dealer."

And how, exactly, would "they" do that-General Motors? Are they supposed to GUESS which dealership in your 'burg, it is? And, no, most of GM does not monitor this site just so they can play the guessing game. If you really want to help out some owners in your area, you can mention the name of the dealer. Otherwise...
Cable-Dahmer ... i thought different from the cannibal but now, not so sure

Last edited by TSLAVette; 05-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by mracer14
We were told at the Bash by the Corvette folks that you pay the $350 for the update itself but there is NO charge to install/download the update. Sounds like some dealers are trying though.
Exactly, that's what I heard as well.

Last edited by TSLAVette; 05-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Faced with this intense dilemma myself, I sent the service manager a 2 line email with a link to the GM document that explains how to bill the labor charge to a GM department, not the customer.

That's what she did.

Of course it's annoying, but I wouldn't go on some vigilante rampage looking for justice... just inform them of the real facts and if they'll then do it, do it.

Years ago I gave up punishing myself with inconveniences that the "punished" would never even know (like not dealing with that dealership ever again because they wasted your time).
Did the same - with the service manager. No dice. Will simply skip the update. GM dealer network is hit or miss - you get a really good one or a really average one. It's tough to fix stupid.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by iclick
I thought one of my local dealers had the national record at $600, but yours tops it. They get 0.3 hr. from GM (probably ~$25-30), which won't cover the time involved to process the customer, call the Techline, pay GM, download the software (if they don't already have it), download the upgrade file, set up the MDI and laptop, do the upgrade, and do the finishing processing with the customer. I blame GM for these problems with dealers because they're trying to be greedy and throw the dealers a few crumbs while they grab most of the profits. This imbalance bleeds down to the customer who's stuck in the middle trying to get the upgrade done against dealer resistance. (My 2¢)

Mine took two hours from start to finish, which is probably high since it was the dealer's first MRSC upgrade, but I doubt if any tech can knock it out in 0.3 hrs. As for it being a free upgrade, it's a little different that getting a software update that addresses an issue, usually granted if you complain about some known problem, but MRSC worked fine before the upgrade. It's not as if it won't work without it, and the upgrade is optional. Like $600 for red calipers we pay 'em cause we like 'em.
Fully agree that fault is GM and Corvette Brand Team. That said, dealers are not 'victims'
Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Faced with this intense dilemma myself, I sent the service manager a 2 line email with a link to the GM document that explains how to bill the labor charge to a GM department, not the customer.

That's what she did.

Of course it's annoying, but I wouldn't go on some vigilante rampage looking for justice... just inform them of the real facts and if they'll then do it, do it.

Years ago I gave up punishing myself with inconveniences that the "punished" would never even know (like not dealing with that dealership ever again because they wasted your time).
I too have given up the crusades. Too much else to deal with. As my mother always says, "don't sweat the small stuff."

Quick Reply: Mag Ride Update ... Not!