C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mag Ride Update ... Not!

Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 AM
MlwYlw
CF Senior Member

Default Mag Ride Update ... Not!

2017 GS 1900 miles on it. Stealership in KC says $700. $350 to GM and $350 for their extensive labor charge. AUFKM? Spoke with Service Manager who reinforced. If I were GM and I had this kind of dealer variability on a basic plug & play, Id be looking at some new dealers. Wont completely throw dealer name under the bus but I will never buy anything from them again.

Does Chevy monitor this forum with any frequency? You folks need to perform a cranial extraction from the rectal area for this particular dealer.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:15 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,684 Posts

^^

Hmm, they are independent business folks! Perhaps they have never done one! My dealer service manager said their cost was $288 from Chevy. (Typically a service department makes 50% on a part so they would expect $288 profit just on the part!) Can understand why the GM reimbursement of only 0.3 hrs at whatever low rate they provide is not enough but that labor quote was excessive.

Perhaps they got caught like some others have reported and happened to me with a free C6 software update -the phone line dropped several times! If they were burned once they may want to get the Techs full potential time.

In any case-find another dealer! Love the free enterprise system- if that is their normal MO the dealership or the service manager won't last!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-23-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 AM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MlwYlw View Post
2017 GS 1900 miles on it. Stealership in KC says $700. $350 to GM and $350 for their extensive labor charge. AUFKM? Spoke with Service Manager who reinforced. If I were GM and I had this kind of dealer variability on a basic plug & play, Id be looking at some new dealers. Wont completely throw dealer name under the bus but I will never buy anything from them again.

Does Chevy monitor this forum with any frequency? You folks need to perform a cranial extraction from the rectal area for this particular dealer.
Ripoff artists should be identified. Out them today.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 AM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,048 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"...You folks need to perform a cranial extraction from the rectal area for this particular dealer."

And how, exactly, would "they" do that-General Motors? Are they supposed to GUESS which dealership in your 'burg, it is? And, no, most of GM does not monitor this site just so they can play the guessing game. If you really want to help out some owners in your area, you can mention the name of the dealer. Otherwise...
The Following User Says Thank You to AORoads For This Useful Post:
Woodson (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
capeli
CF Senior Member

I had a similar situation last week, They wanted to charge me $540, I tried to explain that others were doing it for $350 and the labor charge was to GM. They were not interested and suggested I go to who does it for $350. Sent them the Chevrolet document that details the charges. They replied back they found some information on the net that suggested it was actually $350. No kidding. This was a Classic Chevrolet Sugarland one of the biggest Corvette dealers in the Houston area, so not possible this was their first. They figure they would give it a try and see if they find a sucker.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Give the dealers who properly service and charge appropriately your business is the best solution.

GM pays for the service of the upload...the dealer should only be charging $350 in total.

Anything more is an insult to good faith business model.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM
mracer14
CF Senior Member

We were told at the Bash by the Corvette folks that you pay the $350 for the update itself but there is NO charge to install/download the update. Sounds like some dealers are trying though.
The Following User Says Thank You to mracer14 For This Useful Post:
MlwYlw (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM
mtaxman
CF Senior Member

The Chevrolet organization has zone offices and , in the old days, both Zone Service and Sales reps who work with the dealers. I'd find the telephone number for your area's Zone office and make some noise that way. Complaining here gets you nowhere and complaining with the dealer's service manager got you nowhere. This suggestion may also be a black hole leading nowhere but the offices have some customer focus and...who knows?
My nearby South Carolina dealer actually undercharged me for the update and I think the back of the store is pretty good.

Last edited by mtaxman; 05-23-2018 at 09:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtaxman For This Useful Post:
MlwYlw (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtaxman View Post
The Chevrolet organization has zone offices and , in the old days, both Zone Service and Sales reps who work with the dealers. I'd find the telephone number for your area's Zone office and make some noise that way. Complaining here gets you nowhere and complaining with the dealer's service manager got you nowhere. This suggestion may also be a black hole leading nowhere but the offices have some customer focus and...who knows?
My nearby South Carolina dealer actually undercharged me for the update and I think the back of the store is pretty good.
I don't think I can completely agree with that....
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM
PSU_Vette
CF Senior Member

The cost is dealer dependent, as bad as that may be. When I took mine in, the service manager said the MSRP from GM is $350 but the actual cost to the dealer is only ~$280. Since I was getting my oil changed, they just charged me the $280.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
bjones7131
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
"...You folks need to perform a cranial extraction from the rectal area for this particular dealer."

And how, exactly, would "they" do that-General Motors? Are they supposed to GUESS which dealership in your 'burg, it is? And, no, most of GM does not monitor this site just so they can play the guessing game. If you really want to help out some owners in your area, you can mention the name of the dealer. Otherwise...
Customer Service monitors this forum and I have had them send me a PM in the past so it is possible.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Jim Barker
CF Senior Member

Everyone should be hollering and screaming that it is not free! I feel the ride is just too harsh for the street!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor 18

Mine was $350 plus tax.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM
cheapthrills
CF Senior Member

First dealer I went to wanted 500, found another dealer who did mine for 350, first one they did. While they where very nice about it the service adviser stated, "we make nothing at .3 hours reimbursement"
Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Flame Red
CF Senior Member

For that kind of $ I don't know why everyone just gets the DSC controller and do what you will with your suspension. Yeah, $1200 but you will never pay for another upgrade.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:08 AM
LeManscoupe05
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2500 hd View Post
Mine was $350 plus tax.
Me too
Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 AM
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,366 Times in 911 Posts

Originally Posted by MlwYlw View Post

Faced with this intense dilemma myself, I sent the service manager a 2 line email with a link to the GM document that explains how to bill the labor charge to a GM department, not the customer.

That's what she did.

Of course it's annoying, but I wouldn't go on some vigilante rampage looking for justice... just inform them of the real facts and if they'll then do it, do it.

Years ago I gave up punishing myself with inconveniences that the "punished" would never even know (like not dealing with that dealership ever again because they wasted your time).
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Cubby558

I took my Z06 in last night to have the 500 mile oil change and this update done today. I printed off the information for the MRC update from another thread and faxed it to them yesterday morning. When I dropped off the car they wanted to know where I got the information on this. the service advisor said he searched all day looking for information on this and couldn't find anything. Is GM/Chevrolet/Corvette not notifying there dealerships of this update?? I told the adviser to call the tech line like it states and give them my VIN.

We will see what transpires, when I go to pick it up later today.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 PM
JJLAI724
CF Senior Member

I think the update should be free.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJLAI724 For This Useful Post:
LeManscoupe05 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:08 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubby558 View Post
When I dropped off the car they wanted to know where I got the information on this. the service advisor said he searched all day looking for information on this and couldn't find anything.

Is GM/Chevrolet/Corvette not notifying there dealerships of this update?? I told the adviser to call the tech line like it states and give them my VIN.

We will see what transpires, when I go to pick it up later today.
Had a similar experience with the large local Chevy Dealer in town. Service Scheduler said call parts. Spent 10 minutes on the phone while the poor parts guy looked and said can't find anything but I'll continue. I said don't bother I'll get back with more info.

Called my Courtesy Delivery dealer some 30 miles away and gave him this:
Dealer Installation Details Magnetic Ride Suspension New Calibration: To reprogram the “Corvette Magnetic Ride Suspension Calibration" please call Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at 1-800-828-6860 for programming requirements and instructions. Please be ready to provide the 17-digit VIN prior to calling. Please see detailed steps below: Step 1 – Obtain VIN of vehicle for reprogramming. Step 2 – Call TCSC at 1-800-828-6860.

Not sure why whoever you were dealing with did not follow your suggestion. Apparently software "fixes" are not handled this way. This is NOT A FIX! There is no part number etc they MUST call that phone number and enter their dealer code, then your VIN!

These folks get many bulletins daily for diesel trucks etc etc. Can't be expected to read and digest all!

Originally Posted by JJLAI724 View Post
I think the update should be free.
The Service Manager where I had one done said he was also surprised it was not free as his wife have a 2016 with MRC. However once he saw it was an "Optional Program," NOT A FIX, he understood!

Some folks may not want it!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-23-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mag Ride Update ... Not!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: