C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Engine failure / REBUILD at 4K Miles???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:14 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
PF48 has the same physical mount as the PF64, but the wrong internal bypass pressure valve (too low) as required by the LT1 engine.

So while you can physically mount the PF48, its too-low bypass will allow an unacceptable amount of unfiltered oil through than the properly-valved PF64.
Yes found the bulletin.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
FIlter-17-NA-157.pdf (292.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GM Full buy-back is in progress for my 2017 GS

Since I last posted here, things have progressed in my favor. Currently GM is buying back my faulty 2017 Grand Sport (full buyback w/ all costs reimbursed). I am in the process of purchasing another 2017 GS almost identical to my first one, but with an M7 which I really wanted after driving the A8. I just saw the recent post from the gentleman whose GS is also in similar shape as mine so I wanted to recount my experience in the hope that it will be of some help.

In my case, I had been in contact with the following entities within GM / Chevrolet, and I will tell you, it was difficult to navigate.
GM Customer Service (Initial Complaint)
GM After Sales (after I wouldn't let it go)
Chevrolet Dealers (mine was complicated because I bought at one dealer, and the car was torn apart at another dealer, and I'm buying a new car at yet another dealer)
GM Repurchase (Finally....)
The GM Customer Service Desk handles initial customer complaints but does not always talk with the GM After Sales group or the Chevy Dealers or the GM Repurchase People, all of whom are necessary in order to get resolution on any attempted buy-back.

After I last posted here, and true to the comments I received from many, GM did not want to buy back my car. Instead, they were going to have the dealer fix it and give it back to me. I worked within their system, with all of the above parties and still, no one budged on even talking with me about a buy-back. The closest I ever got to an agreement was when I had a conversation about a possible trade, but this would have cost me quite a bit of money as I was getting out of one car (damaged) and into a new one. The difference in cost was anywhere from $10K to $20K and above.

Here's the part that I can take no credit for, and believe it was divine intervention...

As it was approaching 30 days that the dealer had the car, I was still fighting with GM. However, at 31 days, I called the BBB hotline and started a Lemon Law search because where I live, at 31 days, I officially had a lemon-law case. It may be different in your state. The dealer admitted to me that they had inherited a "nightmare" and could not complete the rebuild in 30 days because among other things, the wrong parts were delivered (or ordered). I will not comment further on this.

At the 33 day mark, I was already talking with GM after-sales when they finally capitulated. When I heard the words, "We will buy back your car.", I almost passed out.

Now, at this time, I am in the final process of closing this sad saga in the life of my 3LT GS, and I hope to have a new GS soon enough and have this behind me for good.

Finally, I would say to anyone who reads this, if you are having a problem similar to mine, please reach out to me. I will be glad to walk you through what I did to solve my problem, but more importantly, never give up. It may take months... many months, but in the end, if you don't go out on a limb, you'll never get the fruit. In my case, it was a lot of legwork, phone calls, coordination and praying. In the end, the Lemon Law prevailed.

I give all glory and honor to the Lord Jesus Christ who answered my heart-felt prayers.

Thanks again to all who helped me think through this situation. In the end, GM came through for me and I am grateful.
The following 4 users liked this post by RCraigPorter:
AORoads (06-20-2018), djnice (06-20-2018), DWS44 (06-19-2018), Hate2Wait (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Congrats. Post pictures of the new ride when ya get it.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

That's great news !
Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats OP
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by RCraigPorter
The dealer admitted to me that they had inherited a "nightmare" and could not complete the rebuild in 30 days because among other things, the wrong parts were delivered (or ordered). I will not comment further on this.
A nightmare you say? At the dealership? Wrong parts ordered?

Glad to hear you escaped the potential ravages of incompetence.

Honestly its a nightmare for anybody no matter what unless one single person or a team of people are trained to just build that exact engine every day all day. At some point it becomes rote "yeah lets just slap another one together" but there are no dealerships on this level I am aware of. Pretending to be able to "slap something together" is sort of like saying "all that clean room stuff isn't really necessary". I should have known they couldn't have ever gotten past the parts ordering process. If you had told me they only had 30 days to repair a damaged piston/rod I would have said go for it 100%, because any person that could actually pull it off in 10-20 days it means they probably know enough about what they are doing to have a chance at it surviving afterwards.

Edit because I don't want to be harsh on the employees that work at dealerships. The failure isn't theirs; instead I blame the concept of dealership, or any place with animal traffic (skin, pollen, fungus, biologically active components of life) and cabinets behind which it isn't anybody's job to inspect the dust feast collecting there for 20 years. Nobody feels the ownership because the owner isn't there or doesn't care to spend the extra money to be cleaner, or doesn't understand the need to become clean and organized. CDC does it best, the CDC and the GT-R people I think have some pretty good setups for clean conditions/assembly.

i like colors hope you don't mind

If you bought that engine, that car. They say it was put together in a clean room. And brought it to a dealership with a broken whatever at 8k miles and you've only had it for a year.

I would argue what was the point of the clean room if you are just going to rebuild it here in the dealership. Where is the selling point? Do you think a Nissan dealer would ever insult a GT-R owner with this suggestion? Either you admit they got it "better". Or else, be forced to fight, just to get treated equally?

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 06-20-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 163 Posts

Good for you, congratulations!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

I have to admit that I didn't think that would happen - but I guess in your state a car that can't be repaired in 30 days meets the lemon law definition !!! Glad it worked out in your favor and that you are going to get another Vette !!!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:29 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Instead of divine intervention thank divine Lemon Law! You have to wonder if it was dumbness or smartness that caused the wrong parts to be ordered? I wouldn't want to rebuild the engine and then have to give it back to the original owner. That usually does not end well. Either way, congratulations!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Talk with your attorney ASAP, if you've not done so already!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I am pleasantly shocked and glad for you. I do think this the best possible outcome and I hope you truly enjoy your new car when you get it. Please start a new thread, and take pics of the new one. I do have to agree that the Lemon Law-intervention "gave" the day (instead of "saved") to you.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Rick18
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just experienced and engine failure on my 2018 Grand Sport. Damage included #1 and #2 rod bearing (wiped), #5 lifter bore scored and additional scoring on all cylinders. Dealer says most likely an oil pump issue (dry sump). They are replacing the engine and everything the oil passed through due to the excessive metal particulates found in the oil and engine.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick18
I just experienced and engine failure on my 2018 Grand Sport. Damage included #1 and #2 rod bearing (wiped), #5 lifter bore scored and additional scoring on all cylinders. Dealer says most likely an oil pump issue (dry sump). They are replacing the engine and everything the oil passed through due to the excessive metal particulates found in the oil and engine.
It happens. That is why new cars come with warranties as those kinds of failures are more likely to happen when a car is new.

Bill
Old 10-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Rick18
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no complaints so far...Corvette only had 1,740 miles on it when it failed.

Quick Reply: C7 Engine failure / REBUILD at 4K Miles???