C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Engine failure / REBUILD at 4K Miles???

Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM hasn't agreed to give him a "check" for the full amount of his car. All they have offered is to repair the engine and make one car payment to compensate for his car not being there for him to drive during that month while it's in the shop.
Ok yeah. For some reason I thought he was getting a check for diminished value. Id still dump it …
The following users liked this post:
RCraigPorter (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,547 Likes on 5,537 Posts

Originally Posted by badass1g
I disagree with it being a 20k hit over normal depreciation. If I was buying it, I wouldn't mind. If they replace it, it now has that much less miles IMO. Its all in how you look at it.
Only a fool would purchase a C7 that's had MAJOR ENGINE WORK performed on it at 4500 miles AT A DEALERSHIP BY A TECH WHO MOST LIKELY HAS LIMITED OR NO EXPERIENCE DOING SUCH at anywhere even near market price.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
They're not "building" a new engine, they're replacing parts. It's far easier to tear an engine down, replace parts with new ones, and put it back together than many other things dealer techs do. It's not rocket science.
I believe it's more than a "simple' engine rebuild. How do you build a new engine in the first place with the connecting rod bearing installed wrong?

I have never seen a Chevrolet dealer with a 'clean room' in his service bay for rebuilding engines. Dirt(and most dealer's service bays have plenty of that) can kill a 'rebuilt' engine in short order.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 364 Likes on 214 Posts

I would ask for a new 'crate' engine and an extended warranty of 72 months & 60K miles, similar to what was the warranty on the C7 when it first came out. You might want to weigh the extended warranty cost versus the one payment cost as well. GM is actually willing to fix the 'bad' part per the warranty so don't expect much more from them. I would prefer an engine from an experienced engine builder than one from an average mechanic.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMS73:
RCraigPorter (05-24-2018), SilverGhost (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by badass1g
I disagree with it being a 20k hit over normal depreciation. If I was buying it, I wouldn't mind. If they replace it, it now has that much less miles IMO. Its all in how you look at it.
Yup, that's just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
You get more and more ridiculous with your every post on this subject.

What about (among other things) determining with 100% accuracy exactly what parts have been compromised? You act as though they are only changing a defective spark plug.
Never torn an engine down, huh? The OP said it's a bad journal bearing on a connecting rod. They're going to replace the crankshaft, which is what would be damaged from a spun bearing, and the bearing (and perhaps the rod but he doesn't say). I've built engines. A lot of them. It's not rocket science. They're not boring it, they're not stroking it, they're replacing an easily replaced part with a brand new one. A bad rod bearing won't "compromise" any other parts.

Cars have a factory warranty to cover factory defects. If no defects ever happened there would be no need for a warranty. Thinking GM should purchase the car back instead of fixing it under warranty is what's ridiculous.

Thinking a new assembled engine from the factory is better than a repaired one is also ridiculous. The factory engine had a defect, so they're not flawless.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Allen_B (05-24-2018), iw172 (05-25-2018), NSC5 (05-24-2018), Virtual Geezer (05-28-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 248 Likes on 161 Posts

My C7 LT1 engine just failed last Friday with only 1425 miles. The problem with mine was a broken rocker arm. The dealer put a new one and also the push rod, check the whole thing and change the oil. Will be picking it up tomorrow.
To the OP in your case I would request a new engine.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,192 Posts

They're not "building" a new engine, they're replacing parts. It's far easier to tear an engine down, replace parts with new ones, and put it back together than many other things dealer techs do. It's not rocket science.
I agree. Some people actually tear perfectly good engines down and replace them with stronger parts. I personally don't see an issue unless they aren't giving you something to drive in the meantime.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:21 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

why should they treat your car any different than a sonic?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tbran6
Out of curiosity, who's name is on the Bowling Green's Engine Build plaque attached to the engine?
I don't know but I will go look tonight.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by bd377103
why should they treat your car any different than a sonic?
They wont.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:28 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joemosfet
How much are you asking?
Haven't thought that through completely. Probably what I paid minus depreciation. I did get to drive the car for one year and I'm not trying to be unfair but I also want GM to be fair about this as well.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

People retire at all ages, not just at 85 and hope to live just a couple of more years.

I've bought two new Corvettes since I retired(1997 Corvette and 2009 Corvette). Hell, I might even buy one of those new fangled mid engine Corvettes in the next couple of years. Resale value can be very important to a retiree, maybe even more so since most of us retirees are living on a fixed income.

I have plenty of retired Corvette friends that traded their C5 on a C6 and then a C7. Just because one is retired, doesn't mean that he has to settle on one car that he buys at retirement being the last car he ever buys.

In addition to my C6 Z06, I also have a 56 and a 64. Their resale is of concern even though I don't plan on selling them before I die. Circumstances change(like I might end up in an expensive nursing home because I don't want to end up in a slum nursing home) and I might have to sell them. The more they are worth, the more money I have to spend on nursing home care(above my monthly income and the value of my home(which also would be sold) and my cash reserves).
Well said, my thoughts exactly. Thank you, Sir!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,144 Likes on 998 Posts

I am going to assume none of you folks ever read your warranty. Every new car warranty I have ever seen, including Rolls Royce, states they will repair or replace components which would be items such as the engine, transmission, rear end. etc. The warranty also states they do not have any responsibility to replace the entire vehicle. The exception would be the statements pertaining to the Lemon Laws in each state and their provisions. No state has a Lemon Law that would force repurchase for a one time engine failure.

GM has already offered to extend the warranty and to make a monetary contribution. It would seem there is great effort there. Any B.S that the vehicle is automatically worth $20,000 less is pure nonsense. I have replaced or repaired hundreds of engines under warranty including in my own new Bentley and unless you are running around with a sign on the car, a 25-30% reduction in value is a ridiculous thought!
The following 8 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
GTXDana (05-24-2018), iw172 (05-25-2018), mschuyler (05-24-2018), NSC5 (05-24-2018), Rebel Yell (05-26-2018), redzone (05-25-2018), SilverGhost (05-25-2018), Steve_R (05-24-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

GM hasn't agreed to give him a "check" for the full amount of his car. All they have offered is to repair the engine and make one car payment to compensate for his car not being there for him to drive during that month while it's in the shop.
Exactly, and if this were a simple warranty issue like a bad fuel pump or even a bad pushrod, etc., I would have no problem with taking it back. Because the defect was from the factory, and the entire engine and guts are out of the car, I do not feel this is a simply warranty fix which can be rectified with a re-built engine. The dealer is helping as they have provided me a car to drive but in the end, it will be what GM decides to do that count. Thank you for clarifying this.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Only a fool would purchase a C7 that's had MAJOR ENGINE WORK performed on it at 4500 miles AT A DEALERSHIP BY A TECH WHO MOST LIKELY HAS LIMITED OR NO EXPERIENCE DOING SUCH at anywhere even near market price.
Kevin, you seem to confirm what I have been hearing from others I discuss this with. I have a colleague who builds engines for a living and he says almost word for word what you are saying. No telling what damage was done, what shavings were lodged in other parts of the engine that will no not be evident until much later, and on top of that the dealer does not have a clean room to build this, and parts are scattered all over the place. In other words, not an ideal place to rebuild an engine for a $75K high-end sports car. I have already confirmed with another Chevy dealer that if I were to drive it up there after the rebuild, they would not give me near top $$ for the car. That's my argument in a nutshell. Diminished value.

Thanks for your post, appreciate your response.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

I believe it's more than a "simple' engine rebuild. How do you build a new engine in the first place with the connecting rod bearing installed wrong?

I have never seen a Chevrolet dealer with a 'clean room' in his service bay for rebuilding engines. Dirt(and most dealer's service bays have plenty of that) can kill a 'rebuilt' engine in short order.
Exactly. I am getting the same response from others in the industry whom I trust. Thank you for weighing in on this.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Yup, that's just ridiculous.

Never torn an engine down, huh? The OP said it's a bad journal bearing on a connecting rod. They're going to replace the crankshaft, which is what would be damaged from a spun bearing, and the bearing (and perhaps the rod but he doesn't say). I've built engines. A lot of them. It's not rocket science. They're not boring it, they're not stroking it, they're replacing an easily replaced part with a brand new one. A bad rod bearing won't "compromise" any other parts.

Cars have a factory warranty to cover factory defects. If no defects ever happened there would be no need for a warranty. Thinking GM should purchase the car back instead of fixing it under warranty is what's ridiculous.

Thinking a new assembled engine from the factory is better than a repaired one is also ridiculous. The factory engine had a defect, so they're not flawless.
Gentlemen,

I appreciate both views on this subject. For me, it all boils down to diminished value. I see it simply as follows:

I purchased in good faith, an expensive new product from a reputable dealer / manufacturer
The product failed, due to no fault of my own
The manufacturer is balking at replacing the product, but instead wanting to "fix" it to make it like new.

The problem, which I have confirmed again and again is the product can never be sold for its full resale value now because of this serious engine defect. If it were a pushrod instead of a piston rod, then maybe that would be different. But having the entire engine, and bottom end of the car scattered across a dealer's service bay while they put humpty-dumpty back together again is not an option I am willing to accept... simply because, it's not the right thing to do. This car will never be able to be sold or traded at full resale value.

Thank you both for weighing in... much appreciated.
Steve_R (05-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Engine failure / REBUILD at 4K Miles???

Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by RCraigPorter
Haven't thought that through completely. Probably what I paid minus depreciation. I did get to drive the car for one year and I'm not trying to be unfair but I also want GM to be fair about this as well.
I think if I were you I would have the sales dept come up with a price on a new car that is similar, and a trade in value for the car in the shop. Have them calculate what it will cost you to trade out of the failed engine car. Once you do that then you can approach GM with actual numbers. Guessing wont help. Ultimately, if this is settled in court, someone is going to have to establish a dollar amount for damages. You are probably better off being able to point at them as the source for your figures. This is good faith anyway. Position yourself now to win the war later, because if you do a good enough job at it then there wont even be a battle.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Where does it begin and end? We've read of people on here with their entire rear diff, and trans pulled from the car. Most don't get a new car. How about a fuel pump where the entire tanks have to be pulled? No new car. These are all "item" defects or assembly issues. There is no printed threshold for when a car is replaced (other than each state's lemon law), or when it is repaired. For that reason, a repair seems to be justified.

Answer this: are there other car manufacturers who state their policy is they WILL replace cars for this same issue? I'd really like to know.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
iw172 (05-25-2018), Steve_R (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 PM
RCraigPorter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am going to assume none of you folks ever read your warranty. Every new car warranty I have ever seen, including Rolls Royce, states they will repair or replace components which would be items such as the engine, transmission, rear end. etc. The warranty also states they do not have any responsibility to replace the entire vehicle. The exception would be the statements pertaining to the Lemon Laws in each state and their provisions. No state has a Lemon Law that would force repurchase for a one time engine failure.

GM has already offered to extend the warranty and to make a monetary contribution. It would seem there is great effort there. Any B.S that the vehicle is automatically worth $20,000 less is pure nonsense. I have replaced or repaired hundreds of engines under warranty including in my own new Bentley and unless you are running around with a sign on the car, a 25-30% reduction in value is a ridiculous thought!
Agree with you, the $20K figure is probably high. But even if it were $5K, what's the difference? Due to a factory defect, which was admitted at the dealer when the car was disassembled into a thousand parts, the manufacturer is not wiling to pony up a few thousand $$ to make this owner whole. In other words, why should I pay for a mistake that the factory made? I understand lemon laws and warranties, but I would argue that not all defects are the same. A pushrod replacement is much much different than a defective piston rod assembly. My concern is that when the engine is re-assembled at the dealer, other issues could be introduced which will cause me even more time, effort, trouble down the road I bought this car to enjoy, not to spend the rest of my life fixing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Engine failure / REBUILD at 4K Miles???