C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Change - Add Oil to Filter or No?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Lol yeah I bet !
At least I won’t get my filters mixed up and put the truck filter on the Z

Last edited by -HAIRBALL-; 05-24-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol … No you certainly wont.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 PM
CJZ51
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Three pages of replies and no one has asked why most cartridge oil filters have an anti-drain back valve... My thought is the OEM and aftermarket manufacturers would save the few cents per filter and leave them off if it wasn't important to keep the can full. I do realize we're talking about multiple starts over the life of a filter vs the single initial start, and that the filter is vertical on the C7, but as others have said, what can it hurt?

Last edited by CJZ51; 05-24-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Incomplete thoughts.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It only takes a minute or so to fill the oil filter with oil(I fill mine ALL the way to the top)before installing it during an oil change. It sure won't hurt your car to do so. After the initial start up isn't the engine started with the filter 100% full of oil for the next hundreds of start ups until you change the oil filter during the next oil change.

Actually, it doesn't cost me any additional time, as I fill the new filter with oil and do the installation while the oil is still draining from the oil pan sump and my dry sump reservoir.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

^^
I don't know how much it helps but as you, I replace the filter while the pan is draining. I need clean oil to put on the gasket so what better place to get it than from the top of the filter that I partly filled with new oil!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-24-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:47 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
My wife and I were watching the first couple of episodes of Season 8 of the show Shameless tonight, and coincidentally in the show, Flip is working at a motorcycle shop and you can see him changing the oil on one of the bikes and he fills up the oil filter with oil before he installs it! I thought that was quite the coincidence that we saw that scene after this thread showed up today
Everything happens for a reason...

I always add oil to my filters.

Last edited by gpotski; 05-24-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't know of any auto manufacturer who recommends this...so, my answer is NO.
I am pretty sure it is in my Dodge 3500 Cummins manual. Of course that filter holds a lot of oil.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
You can argue that the difference doesn't matter, but it *does* make a small difference in the time it takes to fill the filter and build oil pressure.
Originally Posted by Kent1999
#MeToo

Perhaps it has no real, tangible benefit, but it makes me feel better
Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
No one in a professional setting does it, but I do on my personal car.
Its something that can only help.
Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Why does this help please explain?
Oil capacity is a fixed amount so if you add more than that amount you could create a problem. you prefill the filter then add the 5 qrts., you have just overfilled your motor, nice.

Yup.....all the "Engineers for a Day" above, can't answer the question with scientific data points..
Old 05-25-2018, 11:10 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Why does this help please explain?
Oil capacity is a fixed amount so if you add more than that amount you could create a problem. you prefill the filter then add the 5 qrts., you have just overfilled your motor, nice.
I'll try to type slow, and use small words, so it's more understandable.

I start with 5 quarts of oil. Either a 5 quart jug, or 5 one quart bottles.

I open the jug (or the first bottle), and I fill the filter with oil. I install the filter. I pour the rest of the jug, or the rest of the first bottle plus the remaining 4 bottles in the fill cap.

Please explain your claim. How am I overfilling the motor?

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 05-25-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Yup.....all the "Engineers for a Day" above, can't answer the question with scientific data points..
Whats the question ?
Old 05-25-2018, 01:16 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm in the "nope" camp. Didn't do it on mine. I do lube the seal on the oil filter with some new oil, as you should. When you're pouring out of a gallon jug of Mobil 1, can get messy trying to fill up the oil filter and then you have to shimmy under the car (in my case with the car on jack stands--I don't use a creeper because I don't want to jack my car up that high) holding the full oil filter in one hand. Just not gonna do it.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:05 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X

I open the jug (or the first bottle), and I fill the filter with oil. I install the filter. I pour the rest of the jug, or the rest of the first bottle plus the remaining 4 bottles in the fill cap.

Exactly how I do it. Some folks act like it's rocket science, but I guess I can understand their point because they are likely the ones that can't change a light bulb. Perhaps I should make a YouTube educational video on how to do this process.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:01 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I havent seen anyone recommend doing this and Im sure the shops dont do it, but I always do. It certainly cant hurt.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:03 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Even if you overfilled the crankcase by just what that oil filter holds, Its very unlikely any damage would be done.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
I do lube the seal on the oil filter with some new oil, as you should.
I do the same.
Also, it's a good idea to wipe the old oil off where the new filter gasket will seal to the block (in case there is a big chunk of grease, etc. left during filter removal which might interfere with getting a good seal on the new filter).
Old 05-25-2018, 05:24 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Most shops won't.

I always do this if the geometry of the filter installation allows for it. It can't hurt, and it might help.

Another thing I do is disconnect something so the engine won't fire, and I crank until the oil pressure gauge shows pressure or the oil light goes off. The "something" varies from one car to another, but the concept is always the same. On some cars, it's easy to disable the ignition by disconnecting the crank position sensor. Others, with a single ignition coil, just pull the plug there. If I can't find anything better, the fuel pump relay or fuse gets pulled when I pull it in for the oil change, and it mostly won't fire until that's reinstalled. I can't help you with a specific recommendation for the C7, but if I was doing an oil change on one, I'd find something.

The rule here is, no fire until there's oil in the bearings. On my "use for a whole season" (or more) race engines, the proper start up procedure is to push the button for the starter, hold it until you see pressure on the gauge, then flip the switch to turn on the ignition system.
On the C7, just hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hit the starter button. Engine will not fire and you can build the oil pressure.

I had a Chevy S10 pickup with the 4.3 motor blow one of the hoses to the remote mounted oil filter... in the dead of winter... in DC area rush hour traffic jam... in a snow storm... at night. Oil pressure went to zero. It was an old truck and there was nothing I could do so I decided to keep going until it wouldn't go no more... made it all the way, another 10 miles mostly creeping along, maybe total average speed 20 mph. Fixed the hose the next day, filled with oil and it was fine. Drove it for another 2 years before trading. Not that I recommend trying that at home. So do I worry about taking a tenth of a second or so for a filter to fill on startup? No....

In cases where I had issues like that - in my case it was overheating on an old car - I got the car up to speed and shut the engine off and coasted down...rinse and repeat...

Regarding the oil filter filling, when is the last time you have had any lubrication related failures? Didn't think so...

Last edited by golden2husky; 05-25-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I found a YouTube video where someone drained the oil out of an engine and ran it dry until it blew. It ran for nearly and hour! Of course it was shot long before an hour had passed. I guess the point is the engines aren't as fragile as most people want to believe. There have been billions upon billions of oil changes over the past century and no history of early life failures have been attributed to oil starvation during a dry filter start. I agree common sense tells us it can only be a good thing however that common sense has no data to quantify how good it is, can't answer the question is it worth the effort.

The bottom line for us all is if you want to do it, it can only help, if you don't want to do it then don't, it won't hurt. I'm confident that my engine can withstand a dry filter start.

Here's the video I mentioned above.

Last edited by Frodo; 05-26-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: to add link

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Oil Change - Add Oil to Filter or No?

Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

OMG!!!! I can't believe I read another oil/oil fill thread I have to admit I always enjoy them though. I am starting to shy away from those....which oil to use threads....as they usually turn kind of nasty
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,696 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Has anyone ever seen a direction printed in an owners manual, repair manual, on a filter box or anywhere for that matter that recommends pre-filling an oil filer?
I haven't.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

My Husqvarna zero turn 25 HP mower recommends filling filter.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (05-26-2018)

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change - Add Oil to Filter or No?