Sponsored by:

Cheap car sealant

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:52 AM
y260
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cheap car sealant

Took a stroll through my local Ross's and bought a ton of cheap car wash supplies. Found this "Turtle Wax ICE shine lock" sealant. Seems to have good reviews on Amazon, looks like a deal @ 4.99, couldn't pass it up. It says you apply it after washing, and go over the vehicle in small areas, only needs like an ounce or two for the whole car. Perhaps not a ceramic coating but it advertises "superior water beading", so anything to keep off water spots sounds great. Let me know if you guys have used stuff like this.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:03 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Would also be interested to know as well...

Old 05-27-2018, 02:39 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Over many decades of trying many different products, I’ve learned that you generally get what you pay for. While I’m sure that what you just purchased is a fine product, I’m not sure I’d use it on my Corvette. YMMV.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:15 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

coupla million cars built each year. all using the most advanced factory applied paints and clearcoats available that model year. most after one or two loving washes right after purchase are lucky in the rest of their lifespans to see a carwash on a regular basis. Surprisngly, most cars finishes look just fine for at least a decade of use now. Even MAACO's major growth areas are assimilating mom and pop shops (30%) and fleet services. Paint's just lasting too darn long!

Bottom line, anything you apply to your paint is definitely a plus, won't hurt, and worst case (no improvement to finish), will simply have fewer microscratches in the clearcoat than the majority of the millions of cars on the road today who call a carwash a treat.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:12 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I’ve tried the ICE product on my daughter’s car. I always am on the lookout for a low cost, easy to apply coating or wax. For my wife’s or daughter’s car, I don’t care about super deep gloss.

The positive is that it does not stain black trim. I don’t think that it lasts very long and it tends to streak (carrier oils that need to evaporate), so I flattened it out with detail spray the next day. The low cost sealer that I like for the daughter mobile is Meguiar’s Paint Protect. Lasts about four to six months on a car stored outdoors (probably more like three or four, but I apply every six months on her car). The hobby cars get a nicer wax or sealant and I am willing to spend the time and effort.

Last edited by acrace; 05-27-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:16 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Oh, one thing I learned. Some companies base their twelve month claim on ability to bead after a single car wash a week for 52 weeks. The Meguiar’s Paint Protect says that. Well, if the car sits outside and it rains, there’s your reduction in longevity.

Last edited by acrace; 05-27-2018 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (05-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap car sealant

Quick Reply: Cheap car sealant