Why did you buy a C7 Corvette? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a C7 Corvette?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:40 AM
Ask_Griff

Default Why did you buy a C7 Corvette?

I wanted to post my first thread addressing the question of why did you buy a C7 Corvette. I bought mine because the car looked so good and I wanted to look good in it. Well, what started out as a "Look Cool" campaign has quickly turned into a "Where's the Track" crusade. I bought a base model and now wish I had purchased the performance package.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ask_Griff For This Useful Post:
Junox (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:11 AM
beilwing

The reason I bought mine is... it fit best and was the best performance for the $.

I drove a few cars and looked at many more but at 6 foot, most didn't work. Hell, I wish I had an extra inch of leg room in this car. On top of that, the salesman that helped me when I was looking at my first vette told me a good spirited 2nd gear pull would make me fall in love with the car. He was right. However, that was not the right car (price, color, and options) he was right about that 2nd gear pull. Once I found the right one, it was mine.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:22 AM
Makitso
CF Senior Member

Because there were no other choices in this price\performance category.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 AM
Pineapple
CF Senior Member

Price/performance, exterior, interior, cheap maintenance
Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 AM
SilverGhost
CF Senior Member

Whatta Bargain! Every year Chevy overproduces. Every fall the clearance sales start, getting bigger every month until April 1, which is the unofficial start of the Corvette rake-em-over-the-coals summer buying season. your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to buy at the absolute lowest price, but be aware other hunters are out there, looking at the same units. Wait too long and it may be sold out from under you. i stalked my prey, absolutely perfect color and options combo, until march 16 this year, at which time i bagged my brand new 3mi 2017 Z51 vert for 22% off sticker. There were even cheaper ones out there, but not in my color/options preference. Try doing 22% off a new Porsche!

I bought a base model and now wish I had purchased the performance package.
BTDT, had a choice at a fall clearance sale of a 2005 c6 1lt vert still on the showroom floor, or the owner's wifes demo 2005 c6 z51 vert (forget options) 3k miles, either one $50k. i opted for the new one. And then BR made me wish i'd bought the z51. looking back it was silly to regret buying the new non-Z51 model. i got a nice vette, i enjoyed it after the BR faded, and before i threw good money after bad trying to "correct" my mistake. you can track your C7 coupe, even a base stingray. Tracking with the base stingray coupe will just make you a better driver as you learn to compensate for the car's limitations.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-24-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:11 AM
movinlow
CF Senior Member

Since owning my first Vette at the age of 25, I just canít seem to get it out of my blood. On my 7th Vette now, first C7 and they just keep getting better and better. They are just so much fun and a joy to own. Hope to always have one in my garage.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:18 AM
jimmbbo
CF Senior Member

I have an '11 Mustang GT Premium and was looking at an '18 model to get the upgraded engine, new styling, technology, and suspension... When I priced it out, it was just north of $50k... for a Mustang!! My well equipped '11 listed at $36000... The $14+k bump in eight years was a real problem... Found out that a '17 'vette would be a couple of thousand more after all the dealing and rebates was done... Better, more unique car, ballpark same price and was excited by the C7 styling, so it was a no brainer, and I am SO GLAD I DID!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jimmbbo For This Useful Post:
Carvin (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 AM
Frodo
CF Senior Member

Because it's a Corvette.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM
Jeffthunbird
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=SilverGhost;1597264154]Whatta Bargain! Every year Chevy overproduces. Every fall the clearance sales start, getting bigger every month until April 1, which is the unofficial start of the Corvette rake-em-over-the-coals summer buying season. your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to buy at the absolute lowest price, but be aware other hunters are out there, looking at the same units. Wait too long and it may be sold out from under you. i stalked my prey, absolutely perfect color and options combo, until march 16 this year, at which time i bagged my brand new 3mi 2017 Z51 vert for 22% off sticker. There were even cheaper ones out there, but not in my color/options preference. Try doing 22% off a new

I did the same but picked it up in October. Stored the car all winter with 38miles on it. Pulled it out this spring and was thinking, Iím about to start using a new 2017 and the 2019ís are out! Am I insane?!? The 24% off was worth it I guess but-and the car is the same, regardless of model year.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 AM
robertlevine
CF Senior Member

When the C7 first came out I saw it on the road and thought it was a beautiful car... 4+ years later I STILL thought it was one of the best looking cars I've ever seen, so I bought it.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Ask_Griff

Originally Posted by robertlevine View Post
When the C7 first came out I saw it on the road and thought it was a beautiful car... 4+ years later I STILL thought it was one of the best looking cars I've ever seen, so I bought it.
What do you think of the performance?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 AM
Ask_Griff

Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
I have an '11 Mustang GT Premium and was looking at an '18 model to get the upgraded engine, new styling, technology, and suspension... When I priced it out, it was just north of $50k... for a Mustang!! My well equipped '11 listed at $36000... The $14+k bump in eight years was a real problem... Found out that a '17 'vette would be a couple of thousand more after all the dealing and rebates was done... Better, more unique car, ballpark same price and was excited by the C7 styling, so it was a no brainer, and I am SO GLAD I DID!!

Watkins Glen Gray. What a great color. That's what I opted for as well.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Ask_Griff

Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Whatta Bargain! Every year Chevy overproduces. Every fall the clearance sales start, getting bigger every month until April 1, which is the unofficial start of the Corvette rake-em-over-the-coals summer buying season. your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to buy at the absolute lowest price, but be aware other hunters are out there, looking at the same units. Wait too long and it may be sold out from under you. i stalked my prey, absolutely perfect color and options combo, until march 16 this year, at which time i bagged my brand new 3mi 2017 Z51 vert for 22% off sticker. There were even cheaper ones out there, but not in my color/options preference. Try doing 22% off a new Porsche!

BTDT, had a choice at a fall clearance sale of a 2005 c6 1lt vert still on the showroom floor, or the owner's wifes demo 2005 c6 z51 vert (forget options) 3k miles, either one $50k. i opted for the new one. And then BR made me wish i'd bought the z51. looking back it was silly to regret buying the new non-Z51 model. i got a nice vette, i enjoyed it after the BR faded, and before i threw good money after bad trying to "correct" my mistake. you can track your C7 coupe, even a base stingray. Tracking with the base stingray coupe will just make you a better driver as you learn to compensate for the car's limitations.
Thanks SilverGhost. I may have to follow your recommendation. I've got that itch.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 AM
kenownr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ask_Griff View Post
I wanted to post my first thread addressing the question of why did you buy a C7 Corvette. I bought mine because the car looked so good and I wanted to look good in it. Well, what started out as a "Look Cool" campaign has quickly turned into a "Where's the Track" crusade. I bought a base model and now wish I had purchased the performance package.
I sent you a PM -- tom
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 AM
dbaker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Many reasons.
For me and many here,it's a life style.I've owned 12 so far and my first I was 18 and many since.

I wanted also to "thin the herd" and sold 2 cars ( 02Z & 03S2000) and 2 bikes and bought a new '17 Z51.

Down to 4 now and that is a manageable number for us.2 newer & 2 older is a good mix.

\db2

Last edited by dbaker; 05-24-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 AM
beaversstonehaven
CF Senior Member

Fun, Fun, Fun! I have NEVER bought a Corvette I regretted.
The Following User Says Thank You to beaversstonehaven For This Useful Post:
repo czar (06-02-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 08:40 AM
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member

The new styling sold me the first time I saw it. Having owned Corvettes in the past, I knew they were iconic and an excellent value. The C7 was a quantum leap forward in all areas plus the car looked like a Ferrari F12 which I loved but could never afford. Couldn't help but pull the trigger on one. Now waiting to see what the C8 looks like.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:48 AM
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member

I could afford a new toy. I previously had older vettes which actually appreciated in value so it really cost me nil.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Patman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,142 Times in 712 Posts

I have been a Corvette fan since I got my driver's license in 1986 and I bought my first one in 1991. I have always felt that the Corvette is the closest thing to an exotic car that is still affordable and reliable enough to drive everywhere and is not too expensive to fix when things go wrong. But other than my first Corvette (an 84) all of my Corvettes have been very reliable and didn't cost much to maintain. I was driving a C6 when the C7 was introduced to the public and from the moment I saw it I knew I had to have it. For me it's the best looking Corvette ever made and they really improved the interior by leaps and bounds over previous generations. I'm super impressed with the fact that even though I have one of the most basic C7s you can get (1LT Stingray without Z51 and without NPP) the car still handles and brakes incredibly well and the power level impresses me everytime I hit the throttle. And the icing on the cake is that even with all of that performance, it's still able to get incredible fuel economy on highway trips (and my wife and I love to do a lot of those)
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Ask_Griff

Awesome replies and stories from what appear to be awesome individuals. Keep Em' coming folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why did you buy a C7 Corvette?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: