Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Bar Question (Why its needed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Harness Bar Question (Why its needed)

My understanding is that if you take your shoulder straps and run them down to the seat floor (as many people do), that if you wind up in an accident it will break your collarbones or worse, your spine.

Is this true? What causes it? What makes the harness bar safer, is it that the mount is behind rather than below the driver?

Don't have one, just curious!

Last edited by davepl; 05-24-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
My understanding is that if you take your shoulder straps and run them down to the seat floor (as many people do), that if you wind up in an accident it will break your collarbones or worse, your spine.

Is this true? What causes it? What makes the harness bar safer, is it that the mount is behind rather than below the driver?

Schroth has the best information on this but to paraphrase:

Its because in the event of certain types of vehicle motion (especially a roll over) the harness holds you firmly at your waist and if its not properly aligned all the stress goes to your lower spine.

A three point is vastly superior for the road because in the event of a roll over as it transitions energy across your body and lap but will allow you to drop through the top reducing stress on your lower spine.

The new Schroth harness actually have a tear away that allow them to elongate on one side similar to the three point harness. So you can run some of the new Scrhoth harnesses on the street as they act like a three point in the event of a collision.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Thanks! I'm still not really clear on the mechanics of what happens to the body, but it's clearly a "bad idea".
Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I tracked my C6 coupe at speeds up to 170. I had to install a harness bar and 6 point harnesses to be able to pass tech inspection. My understanding is that having a harness bar and aftermarket harnesses hold you in place, but do not push you down as a factory shoulder harness does. That can, in certain high speed violent crashes, protect the spine from compression fractures.

I can tell you that when I tightened my 6 point harness I had almost no movement of my body in the seat, which is a good thing for high speed racing. I can also attest that the shoulder straps pulled me back into the seat instead of pushing me down into the seat.

All that said, I don't track my C7 because it's a vert, and I don't worry about the shoulder strap pushing me down into the seat in a violent crash as I figure there are much more important things to worry about, like safe driving habits and watching the idiots around me to avoid a crash. The forces in a typical legal speed crash are nothing like the forces in a 150+ mph racing crash.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Thanks! I'm still not really clear on the mechanics of what happens to the body, but it's clearly a "bad idea".
Its called submarining here is a diagram from Schroth

"The risk to submarine (sliding underneath the lap belt), a well known phenomenon during frontal impacts, is significantly reduced by the asm® safety system. The energy converter is located in one of the shoulder belts. Severe injuries or death are possible using 4-point harnesses without the SCHROTH asm® safety system or an anti-sub strap. SCHROTH harnesses designed for use on public roads (FE push button models) or those likely to be used as 4-points come with the asm® safety system. The performance of the SCHROTH asm® safety system has also been positively tested in conjunction with airbags."

The harness is awesome at a track because it pins you to the seat and with lots of corners you are held flat to the seat, the downside to daily driving is that you can't lean forward for doing shoulder checks or looking over your shoulder while backing up.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by c0ntract_thrilla
Its called submarining here is a diagram from Schroth

"The risk to submarine (sliding underneath the lap belt), a well known phenomenon during frontal impacts, is significantly reduced by the asm® safety system. The energy converter is located in one of the shoulder belts. Severe injuries or death are possible using 4-point harnesses without the SCHROTH asm® safety system or an anti-sub strap. SCHROTH harnesses designed for use on public roads (FE push button models) or those likely to be used as 4-points come with the asm® safety system. The performance of the SCHROTH asm® safety system has also been positively tested in conjunction with airbags."

The harness is awesome at a track because it pins you to the seat and with lots of corners you are held flat to the seat, the downside to daily driving is that you can't lean forward for doing shoulder checks or looking over your shoulder while backing up.
Do you not feel pinned enough by locking the 3 point belt? I can't move an inch forward or down when I lock it.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:27 PM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Do you not feel pinned enough by locking the 3 point belt? I can't move an inch forward or down when I lock it.
Compared to an actual harness? A three point is not even a comparison to a 4 point or etc in terms of how firmly it hold you to a seat, you need to experience it to understand, if you are doing any lapping you might not realize how much stress you are putting into the leg on the dead pedal. With the 4 point you don't even wiggle. As well its important to note if you are racing or lapping IMHO you should have a HANS device, which are designed to be used with harness systems. The average human head is 11 lbs then toss a helmet on there, even if its only an off track excursion you will end up with a sore neck, a HANS device transfers the stress to your core and that is supported with a harness. The harness bar is needed for the proper angle on most cars to prevent spinal damage in collisions or rolls.

Anyway take it for what its worth, I was just trying to address the OP's questions. I have not installed a harness in my vette yet, but I did several lapping days last year and recently acquired a Schroth belt setup and harness bar for the car. I had one in my previous Audi and it makes a world of difference when you are pushing the car to the limit at a track.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Compared to an actual harness? A three point is not even a comparison to a 4 point or etc in terms of how firmly it hold you to a seat, you need to experience it to understand, if you are doing any lapping you might not realize how much stress you are putting into the leg on the dead pedal. With the 4 point you don't even wiggle. As well its important to note if you are racing or lapping IMHO you should have a HANS device, which are designed to be used with harness systems. The average human head is 11 lbs then toss a helmet on there, even if its only an off track excursion you will end up with a sore neck, a HANS device transfers the stress to your core and that is supported with a harness. The harness bar is needed for the proper angle on most cars to prevent spinal damage in collisions or rolls.

Anyway take it for what its worth, I was just trying to address the OP's questions. I have not installed a harness in my vette yet, but I did several lapping days last year and recently acquired a Schroth belt setup and harness bar for the car. I had one in my previous Audi and it makes a world of difference when you are pushing the car to the limit at a track.
Did you use the belt lock method on the corvette? Im serious, i don't move at all between that and the bolsters on the seat. Maybe my body fills perfectly.

Autocrossing in my old mustang i remember my knees banging on the door.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

My god, don’t run shoulder straps to the floor! A harness is designed to keep you from moving. It should not be used on the street! The biggest issues with a harness is neck injury. If wearing a harness one really needs a helmet with HANS device to stop your neck from braking. The harness will hold your body in place and your head is not so lucky. Hence the reason a harness should not be used on the street without a helmet/HANS set up. The submarine effect happens from incorrectly installed/measured seat to harness relationship.

Another issues commonly debated is roll over protection. Many think a cage is required to safely run a harness set up in the event of a roll over. I’m in the camp of, if GM will put there employee/egineer in a ZR1 with Race seat, harness, and HANS, then I’m good to go.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rb185afm
My god, don’t run shoulder straps to the floor! A harness is designed to keep you from moving. It should not be used on the street! The biggest issues with a harness is neck injury. If wearing a harness one really needs a helmet with HANS device to stop your neck from braking. The harness will hold your body in place and your head is not so lucky. Hence the reason a harness should not be used on the street without a helmet/HANS set up. The submarine effect happens from incorrectly installed/measured seat to harness relationship.

Another issues commonly debated is roll over protection. Many think a cage is required to safely run a harness set up in the event of a roll over. I’m in the camp of, if GM will put there employee/egineer in a ZR1 with Race seat, harness, and HANS, then I’m good to go.
Yes all of this. ^
Old 05-24-2018, 01:40 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I tracked my C6 coupe at speeds up to 170. I had to install a harness bar and 6 point harnesses to be able to pass tech inspection. My understanding is that having a harness bar and aftermarket harnesses hold you in place, but do not push you down as a factory shoulder harness does. That can, in certain high speed violent crashes, protect the spine from compression fractures.

I can tell you that when I tightened my 6 point harness I had almost no movement of my body in the seat, which is a good thing for high speed racing. I can also attest that the shoulder straps pulled me back into the seat instead of pushing me down into the seat.

All that said, I don't track my C7 because it's a vert, and I don't worry about the shoulder strap pushing me down into the seat in a violent crash as I figure there are much more important things to worry about, like safe driving habits and watching the idiots around me to avoid a crash. The forces in a typical legal speed crash are nothing like the forces in a 150+ mph racing crash.
eh... keep in mind on the street you could be going 70 and get hit by an idiot going the opposite way at 70 on a country road. that's a 140 mph crash.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 05-24-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Did you use the belt lock method on the corvette? Im serious, i don't move at all between that and the bolsters on the seat. Maybe my body fills perfectly.

Autocrossing in my old mustang i remember my knees banging on the door.
I have tried the 3 point belt lock, it is not nearly effective enough on a track for lapping or time attack. My local track has a lot of elevation change and fast corners so a three point factory belt is not ideal.

My last TA/lapping car was an audi and I had run harness, bar, seats and left the OEM three point in for street use.

I agree that the three point should be used for the street but the harness really shines at a track.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The problem with running the shoulder harnesses down to the floor is spinal compression. In an incident the harnesses stretch as the body is thrown forward. The direction the belts take as they come off your shoulders can increase the compression force on the spine as the belts stretch. All of the harness makers pretty much say the maximum down angle from the shoulders to the belt mounting point shouldn't be more than 20 degrees.

A 4 or 6 point harness will hold you in place better than a 3 point harness but you won't be able to tell that by just driving around a track. I can tightly fasten any 3 point system that has a cinch feature like the Corvette has. I can get the 3 point system in any Corvette made since the 1984 model year with a power seat installed so tight across the chest the occupant will have trouble breathing and the lap belt will feel like it is cutting them in half. The three point system reduces the chance of submarining by letting the upper body pivot around the shoulder belt. This transfers weight forward and upward so the lap belt holds the lap in place. Most newer cars also have knee guards that keep the occupant's legs from moving very far forward.

If you remember the Spring Mountain instruction on how to adjust your seat you will remember them talking about having your knees close to the lower dash panel with the front of the seat bottom tilted upward so it cupped your butt to reduce the chance of sliding forward. Then you fasten the belt so the lap belt is across your pelvis not your belly. People with overhanging beer bellies need to lift the overhang and place the belt under it.

Bill
Old 05-24-2018, 02:05 PM
CTPJ
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

DAVE396LT1 - If you haven't read it, below is a link to a thread I recently commented on (post #9) that you may find relevant.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-concern.html

Todd
Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

eh... keep in mind on the street you could be going 70 and get hit by an idiot going the opposite way at 70 on a country road. that's a 140 mph crash.
Well, yeah, that's true, but if we're talking about a head-on crash at 140, or the equivalent, you're in a world of hurt in anything but a fully caged race car, with the driver in a 4 or 6 point harness, and full helmet and HANS. That kind of crash in any street car will result in serious injury, or death, regardless of what kind of harness you're in.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:57 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Well, yeah, that's true, but if we're talking about a head-on crash at 140, or the equivalent, you're in a world of hurt in anything but a fully caged race car, with the driver in a 4 or 6 point harness, and full helmet and HANS. That kind of crash in any street car will result in serious injury, or death, regardless of what kind of harness you're in.
Agreed, as thats a lot of energy! Even caged with all safety gear, your personal condition can determine if you die from your internal organs decelerating at a silly G level.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Agreed, as thats a lot of energy! Even caged with all safety gear, your personal condition can determine if you die from your internal organs decelerating at a silly G level.
Yup. Trying to "what if" a 140 mph head-on crash is silly. The most likely result is death, no matter what you're wearing or driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Bar Question (Why its needed)

Old 05-24-2018, 05:54 PM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Yup. Trying to "what if" a 140 mph head-on crash is silly. The most likely result is death, no matter what you're wearing or driving.

You guys need to revisit your physics, if two cars with the same mass collide at 70mph it is not equal to 140mph, it’s equal to a Car hitting a wall at 70mph.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

You guys need to revisit your physics, if two cars with the same mass collide at 70mph it is not equal to 140mph, it’s equal to a Car hitting a wall at 70mph.
Um, wrong.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 AM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Um, wrong.
"for every force there is an equal and opposite force"

If two cars with similar mass and speed collide at 70mph it is just a 70mph crash it is not the same as a 140mph crash.

Kinetic energy is based on the square of the velocity, so a car moving at twice the speed would have 4 times the velocity. Momentum is the mass x velocity so if both cars have similar mass and velocity... it is a 70 mph crash it is not the same as a car moving twice the speed @140mph.

Quick Reply: Harness Bar Question (Why its needed)