C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission Test, EGR and EV not registering...need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Emission Test, EGR and EV not registering...need advice.

Looking for some help here. I had car in winter storage, pulled it out about a month ago, put a couple hundred miles on it, but it sits more than I drive because of work and bad weather. So I brought it down for an emission test and the ERG and EV codes flashed on the handheld indicating it was not reading. Tech told me to drive it and get it warmed up, so I drove it about 40 miles 60 plus MPH, varying the speed. Still no reading. Tech told me simply to run a couple of tanks of gas, as the gas was sitting all winter and needs to run through the system and sensors will need to reset.

So any ideas how to get the ERG and EV to start taking measurement to pass the emissions test?

FYI. car sat from November through early May, with battery trickler, full tank gas with prolong added. Drove it in May only a couple hundred miles if that, only topped the tank, have not gone through a full tank yet. When I picked it up from storage, car started up immediately, drove fine, no warning lights or codes.....

Suggestions, has this happened to you?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 492 Likes on 244 Posts

Keep driving it. Try the below procedure however from the folks that built the car. You don't have to worry about the service bay test. I put almost 400 miles on my Colorado Diesel before it tested all the monitors. Some cars you can get to do in 30-50 miles.

Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure
Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Description
The purpose of the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Complete System Set Procedure is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary to execute all of the I/M readiness diagnostics and complete the drive cycles for those particular diagnostics. When all I/M monitored diagnostic tests are completed, the I/M System Status indicators are set to YES. Perform the I/M Complete System Set Procedure if any I/M System Status indicators are set to NO.

Conditions for Meeting a Cold Start

The ignition voltage between 11–18 volts.

The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 75 kPa.

The start-up engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 4–30°C (39–86°F).

The start-up intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4–30°C (39–86°F).

The difference between the IAT and the ECT is less than or equal to 6°C (10.8°F).

The ambient air temperature is between 4–30°C (39–86°F).

The fuel level is between 15–85 percent.

Circuit/System Verification

Verify that all I/M System Status indicators report YES, and that no I/M Test DTCs are present.

If any I/M Test DTCs are setRefer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.

If no I/M Test DTCs are set
All OK.

Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Set Procedure

Note: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, do NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Note: DO NOT touch the accelerator pedal during the idle period. A change in TP sensor angle or an increase in engine speed may invalidate this portion of the test.

Warning: Refer to Road Test Warning.

Note: Do NOT disturb the vehicle or turn ON the ignition until told to do so. Disturbing the vehicle may invalidate this portion of the test.

Ensure that the vehicle meets the conditions for a cold start listed above.

The evaporative emission (EVAP) I/M System Status indicator should display YES.

If the EVAP I/M System Status indicator displays NO, perform the EVAP Service Bay Test, if applicable. If the EVAP Service Bay Test is NOT available, it may take up to 6 drive cycles, with up to 17 hours between drive cycles, for the EVAP I/M System Status indicator to transition to YES.

The O2S Heater I/M System Status indicator should display YES.

If the O2S Heater I/M System Status indicator displays NO, ensure that the ignition has been turned OFF for at least 10 hours.

Turn OFF all accessories; HVAC system, other electrical loads, including aftermarket/add-on equipment, etc.

Set the vehicle parking brake and ensure the vehicle is in Park for automatic transmission or Neutral for manual transmission.

Turn OFF all accessories; HVAC system, other electrical loads, including aftermarket/add-on equipment, etc.

Start and idle the engine for at least 2 minutes and until 65°C (149°F) is achieved.

Run the engine for 6.5 minutes within the following conditions:

MAF parameter between 4–30 g/s

Engine speed steady between 1,000–3,000 RPM

Return the engine to idle for 1 minute.

Apply and hold the brake pedal, and shift to Drive for automatic transmission, or apply the clutch pedal for manual transmission and operate the vehicle within the following conditions for 2 minutes:

Depress the accelerator pedal until throttle position (TP) sensor angle is more than 2 percent.

Mass air flow (MAF) signal between 15–30 g/s

RPM steady between 1,200–2,000 RPM

Release the accelerator pedal and shift the vehicle to Park for automatic transmission, or Neutral and release the clutch pedal for manual transmission, and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Quickly depress the accelerator pedal until TP sensor angle is more than 8 percent and return to idle, repeat 3 times.

Allow engine to idle for at least 2 minutes.

Release the parking brake and drive vehicle at 24 km/h (15 mph) or slower for 2 minutes.

Continue to drive the vehicle for at least 5.5 miles between 45–112 km/h (28–70 mph) with the vehicle reaching at least 80 km/h (50 mph).

Release the accelerator pedal for at least 2 seconds. This will allow the vehicle to enter decel fuel cut-off.

Depress the accelerator pedal until the TP sensor angle is increased 3–20 percent and maintain a safe speed for 1 minute.

Safely stop the vehicle, with the engine in Drive for automatic transmission or in Neutral with the clutch pedal depressed and parking brake applied for manual transmission, idle for 2 minutes.

Shift to Park for automatic and apply the parking brake, or neutral and release clutch pedal for manual.

Turn OFF the ignition and exit the vehicle. Do NOT disturb the vehicle for 60 minutes.

Observe the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Status with a scan tool. All of the I/M System Status indicators should display YES.

If the EVAP I/M System Status indicator displays NO, turn OFF the ignition for 17 hours, ensure that the vehicle meets the conditions for a cold start, and repeat steps 12–18 six more times, or until the EVAP I/M System Status indicator transitions to YES. If the indicator continues to display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table to identify the DTCs that did not run. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the EVAP I/M System Status indicator

If any of the I/M System Status indicators display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table for the indicator which did not display YES. The I/M System DTC Table identifies the DTCs associated with each I/M System Status Indicator. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the associated status indicator.

Observe the engine DTC information with a scan tool. Verify no DTCs are present.

If a DTC is set, diagnose using the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. After repairs, perform the Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure to verify no further DTCs are set.[/SPOILER]

Last edited by Newdude; 05-24-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I have read most are set within 500 miles of normal driving, drive her to work a couple weeks and should be good to go
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks will start driving it more, weather has not been too cooperative the past few weeks...thanks for advice, hopefully this will work.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:38 PM
railgun
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Thanks will start driving it more, weather has not been too cooperative the past few weeks...thanks for advice, hopefully this will work.
I've been dealing with the same issue with my new C7. Still showing two "Not Ready" results at just over 400 miles. It would be nice if new cars had these systems already tested and flagged as such before leaving the factory. Plan is to wake up at 4 AM tomorrow and make another attempt at the generic OBD2 drive cycle.

There is really nowhere around me where the OBD2 drive cycle is remotely safe during normal hours. Getting on the freeway and driving 15 mph under the speed limit is a white knuckle experience. I guess when I bring it in for the required 500 mile oil change I'll let Chevy figure it out.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Welcome to OBD II. This is not a specific brand issue but will happen to any vehicle produced since '96 whenever the battery is disconnected, the codes reset and you need to drive them to reset. Most states will allow two sensors to not be ready to pass the test but others want them all in action. Just drive the car for a few days and you will be good to go. The EV is usually the last to reset why I don't know.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:24 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Just drive it. And by the way, the car does not melt in the rain and if you drive it in the rain be sure to put the car into "weather" mode. It really does work and will keep you from spinning out on slick roads with wide tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Emission Test, EGR and EV not registering...need advice.

Quick Reply: Emission Test, EGR and EV not registering...need advice.