Sponsored by:

This sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:04 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyman82768
The tire was at 32psi when I hear the clicking start pulled over and took the screw out drove 7 miles home it stayed at 31psi.
Tough call based on that.
You said some air came out originally, is it still leaking (soapy water check)?
The only thing I'd worry about would be the belts being damaged.
If it's not still leaking you might be OK for a while, and if you DO plug it, that might be the proverbial straw that breaks the belt's back, so to speak.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:08 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Put the car to sleep for the night, check on it in the morning. Hope it will still be up.
Will decide from there.
Thanks to all.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:13 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
Tough call based on that.
You said some air came out originally, is it still leaking (soapy water check)?
The only thing I'd worry about would be the belts being damaged.
If it's not still leaking you might be OK for a while, and if you DO plug it, that might be the proverbial straw that breaks the belt's back, so to speak.
What does this mean ?
You realize that if you follow the tire manufacturers exact directions for this repair, then you would install a plug, cut it off inside, buff the plug and liner, then glue a patch in place. Alternatively, you can use a one piece patch/plug product, and ram the plug through from the inside and glue the patch in place. Either way you are putting a plug in the tire. There is no way to handle this repair without forcing a plug through the tire.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
What does this mean ?
You realize that if you follow the tire manufacturers exact directions for this repair, then you would install a plug, cut it off inside, buff the plug and liner, then glue a patch in place. Alternatively, you can use a one piece patch/plug product, and ram the plug through from the inside and glue the patch in place. Either way you are putting a plug in the tire. There is no way to handle this repair without forcing a plug through the tire.
Of course.
I have professionally repaired tires in that exact manner.

However, the reaming action might cause the belts to be additionally impaired, resulting in the same type of tire failure I experienced.

And that is why many tire manufacturers recommend AGAINST repairing speed-rated tires.

Again, food for thought.
Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Of course.

However, the reaming action might cause the belts to be additionally impaired, resulting in the same type of tire failure I experienced.

And that is why many tire manufacturers recommend AGAINST repairing speed-rated tires.

Again, food for thought.
I don't agree with that at all but whatever I guess. The reaming out of the hole sizes it to fit the plug and exposes the steel cords inside the hole so they grab the plug, which combined with the glue is the reason the plug wont come out. Is it as good as a new tire ? Of course not. Would a serious racer hit the track with a repaired tire ? I wouldn't. Is it safe to fix a tire on a street car ? Hell yes it is.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

on the way to plant tour last year i picked up nail in rear tire closer to the edge. at the time was 35 miles out in the corn fields which were close to nothing. sunday afternoon in Ok. with 9 am plant tour on tuesday. drove about 50 miles with no pressure to find an autozone. purchased plug kit and compressor , made repair in parking lot. made it to bowling green, had great time at plant and on the ride back to tucson. several auto-x later and plug started leaking. removed tire at friends house and patched tire on inside. still running that tire, has about 9k miles on it now.

your tire can easily be repaired. just need to find someone willing and capable.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

I don't agree with that at all but whatever I guess. The reaming out of the hole sizes it to fit the plug and exposes the steel cords inside the hole so they grab the plug, which combined with the glue is the reason the plug wont come out. Is it as good as a new tire ? Of course not. Would a serious racer hit the track with a repaired tire ? I wouldn't. Is it safe to fix a tire on a street car ? Hell yes it is.
Listen, I certainly don't WANT chevyman to have to buy two new tires.
It ain't cheap!

As I said, food for thought, based on my experience with almost the exact same type of puncture.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RFZ
on the way to plant tour last year i picked up nail in rear tire closer to the edge. at the time was 35 miles out in the corn fields which were close to nothing. sunday afternoon in Ok. with 9 am plant tour on tuesday. drove about 50 miles with no pressure to find an autozone. purchased plug kit and compressor , made repair in parking lot. made it to bowling green, had great time at plant and on the ride back to tucson. several auto-x later and plug started leaking. removed tire at friends house and patched tire on inside. still running that tire, has about 9k miles on it now.

your tire can easily be repaired. just need to find someone willing and capable.
Everyone gets to make their own choices.

The general experience seems to be that driving more than about 25 miles with no air will usually damage the tire, visible only by removing from wheel and inspecting inside.
I had to drive a PS2 runflat for about 25 miles with no air, the outside looked ok but the inside was starting to "crumble". Since the problem was a sidewall cut that couldn't be repaired, the tire was toast anyway but I would have replaced it regardless.

Using a plug instead of the internal patch-plug repair is also non-approved by most (all?) tire companies.

Continuing to use the tire for long distances and autocrosses ups the odds of problems even more.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Other people have done similar things and experienced no problems.
My mother smoked a pack a day for her entire adult life and experienced no problems.
But I don't smoke and I don't do unapproved repairs on abused tires.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Fix it today. Replace those worn tires next month or two. They are worn at 6k obvious hard miles from your picture.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

If it’s not leaking, file or grind it down and leave it in tire.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Plug, not! A reputable shop will only do patches.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...f-z51-pss.html
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2018, 02:37 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Tire is fixed. Patched from inside
Old 05-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Tire is fixed. Patched from inside
Good choice, the only way to properly repair one of these tires. You should be good to go until replacement.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

Compared to the diameter of nails I have gotten (and plugged successfully), THAT is not small, imho. Your car, your damage if it comes apart. All the best, no matter.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I was seriously JINXED by this post. No Lie... I first read it this morning... commented to myself... "I've been so lucky not to have picked-up a nail or screw for SO LONG!" --- Fast-Forward to this afternoon, driving back to the office from lunch, windows down, hearing "click-click-click", check pressure sensor display and sure enough... rear passenger tire down several pounds.

I didn't take a pic of the screw, but it was seriously identical to the one in this original post, just a little newer and shinier. I was concerned about the location, but thankfully, the guys at the shop were willing to plug it right up, and I was out of there in about 20 minutes!

For tire plugging/repair reference, here's an "After" pic of the repair. --- Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

Last edited by NostraD; 05-25-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Decide for yourself, but I would plug it and live happily ever after. That hole is so small that it will have to be reamed out before you can install even the smallest plug.
I would go this route 100%!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Originally Posted by NostraD
I was seriously JINXED by this post. No Lie... I first read it this morning... commented to myself... "I've been so lucky not to have picked-up a nail or screw for SO LONG!" --- Fast-Forward to this afternoon, driving back to the office from lunch, windows down, hearing "click-click-click", check pressure sensor display and sure enough... rear passenger tire down several pounds.

I didn't take a pic of the screw, but it was seriously identical to the one in this original post, just a little newer and shinier. I was concerned about the location, but thankfully, the guys at the shop were willing to plug it right up, and I was out of there in about 20 minutes!

For tire plugging/repair reference, here's an "After" pic of the repair. --- Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

That's funny, Not. My nefew showed me his 35 inch truck tire that he had to trash because a bolt went through yesterday morning . And I texted him the picture of my tire last night and told him that he had jinxed me.

Last edited by chevyman82768; 05-25-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To This sucks

Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

That's funny, Not. My nefew showed me his 35 inch truck tire that he had to trash because a bolt went through yesterday morning . And I texted him the picture of my tire last night and told him that he had jinxed me.
Things like this happen in 3's so now none of you guys will pick up another puncture for quite a while!!
The following users liked this post:
NostraD (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Of course.

Again, food for thought.
So you do this for a living?

So, the tire may fail again? Net Zero to not fixing.

Many manufacturers claim that one fix is just peachy.

Ain't America Grand!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:16 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
So you do this for a living?

So, the tire may fail again? Net Zero to not fixing.

Many manufacturers claim that one fix is just peachy.

Ain't America Grand!
Yep, did just that for a living 42 years ago.
Yep, the tire may fail again.
Yep, many mfg's CLAIM that one fix is peachy.
Yep, America is grand.

Anything else?

Quick Reply: This sucks