Sponsored by:

Lost to a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
Good thing I’m not one of those people. Nor do I fly commercial anymore.
Fair enough.
Sounds like you are declining the challenge anyway.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I would seriously look at a Tesla if:

It could cover 1000 miles including a few (10) bullet launches.

Every gas station had a charging station or battery swap location

It looked comparable to a Corvette or an exotic.
The following users liked this post:
ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

Well Im a yokel who is actually working in the confines of NYC and was born there as well. I guess I dont have the west coast perspective. I see many more teslas a day than I do vettes- Most owners are elitists who traded up from their priuses and want to show how global and environmental they are. BTW they hire a crowd of gardeners who weekly use gallons of gas to blow the leaves off their property as well as plenty of natural gas (likely fracked) to heat their pools. Typical hypocrites
The following 2 users liked this post by plmmd:
Atomic6 (08-03-2018), ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 PM
66 convert
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Kind of like me running my 1964 Corvette with 300 horsepower and a auto transmission against a 1964 Impala 4 door with the "top dog" 409 with 425 HP and a 4-speed. The Impala will win in a drag race.

Now if my 1964 Corvette had the "top dog" 375 horsepower fuel injected engine with a 4 speed and 4:11 gears....it would be a different drag race.
I had that exact car in the late '60's. 64 Corvette convertible with the 375hp F.I. Muncie M-21 4.11 posi. Breathtakingly fast.

But somehow I suspect putting that car up against some goofy kid with a "tuner" Accura would make me look stupid.

Can't wait to see what technology brings in the next 10 years.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm talking performance, which is what this thread is about.
Fair enough.
I have no gripe with a Tesla, but comparing it to a Corvette is silly. Different car completely. I love them, I think they're well designed, very innovative products. I'm rooting for them, I hope they don't go under.
My point exactly.
It's oranges-to-apples, not apples-to-apples.

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Also check post #70 in this very thread for evidence:
I can't predict what someone will post after I do, but you're point is well-taken.

Originally Posted by patentcad
but comparing a Tesla to a Corvette is like doing a cigarette boat vs. cabin cruiser shoot-out.
Good analogy.
Originally Posted by HPT
People who actually can afford these cars have no need to travel 300+ miles by car in one day.
THAT is an important point.
The Tesla shines as a luxury commuter car, not a first choice for a coast-to-coast run.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette

Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM
LimaCharlie
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

No matter your vehicle, there is usually someone with a vehicle faster than yours.

I was riding my Kawasaki Z1100 on a two lane street on evening when a guy in a C-3 427 started playing with me. I ignored him at the first two stoplights. At the third stoplight, I let him go smoking his tires and then blew his doors off when I went by. He turned off on a side street and quit playing the game.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:05 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Velocity
I have a yellow C7 Z51 M7, black wheels, red calipers. Sticks out in the crowd of nondescript white, gray and black cars.

Wasn't looking for a race, but saw a silver Tesla Model S in my rear view maneuvering to get in the lane next to me. Stopped at a red light and after moving over 2 lanes he was next to me. I didn't look at him, but told my wife he wants to race. In the old days, he would have revved his engine but of course his car was silent. My wife said don't do it, but you know I had to. Looked around to make sure it was clear. Everything looked good. Watched the traffic light for the other direction and waited for the change. Light changed and we took off.

I didn't have a chance. He must have had ludicrous mode turned on and he blew me silently away. (I've driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode and it is breathtaking.)

Oh well. Knew I didn't have a chance but gave it the best I could as I waved to him while he watched in his rear view (I'm guessing he was watching).

My wife was more depressed than I was. I knew what to expect - she didn't.

Maybe next time (or not).

My favorite part of this story is your wife was more crushed than you. You knew what the outcome would be and when for it anyway! ....good stuff.

Calm down everyone!

Id say this story is more about what a awesome wife he has congrats on that!...... Mine freaks out when i get on it just a tiny bit or take a corner a bit fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65fastback:
beilwing (06-14-2018), ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:25 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette

If a Tesla actually met these three requirements you could not afford it!
spinkick (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:04 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,986 Likes on 1,675 Posts

If it makes you feel better, he probably had to go home and charge up the energizer bunny sooner than expected after that...that or replenish his fanny pack with anti-bacterial wet wipes!
jeffs64 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
I admire the car and technology that has gone into it. As said above many times, it is the car of the future.
Well to be more accurate, these days maybe it's a car of the (near) future, say 18 months hence, i.e. that 'future car' characterization was far more appropriate 2 years ago than now. The honeymoon is ending, the reality of the automotive industry is about to come crashing down on them. The problem for Tesla is they're not selling transporter beam technology and the rest of the automotive industry is about to introduce a slew of electric cars with similar bells and whistles. Cheaper ones from mainstream players, similarly priced cars from luxury car makers, etc. Good luck selling Tesla Model X SUVs when you can buy something cooler from Porsche for $30K less.

If Tesla can get Model 3 production up to 20K cars annually by later this year they have a prayer, if they can't manage that, maybe not so much. I'm rooting for them but they really have botched that Model 3 rollout/ramp-up, not that it was ever going to be easy. VERY tough industry.

Man, I hope they make it, the car biz NEEDS innovators like Tesla for sure.
Xvoyager (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Velocity
I have a yellow C7 Z51 M7, black wheels, red calipers. Sticks out in the crowd of nondescript white, gray and black cars.

Wasn't looking for a race, but saw a silver Tesla Model S in my rear view maneuvering to get in the lane next to me. Stopped at a red light and after moving over 2 lanes he was next to me. I didn't look at him, but told my wife he wants to race. In the old days, he would have revved his engine but of course his car was silent. My wife said don't do it, but you know I had to. Looked around to make sure it was clear. Everything looked good. Watched the traffic light for the other direction and waited for the change. Light changed and we took off.

I didn't have a chance. He must have had ludicrous mode turned on and he blew me silently away. (I've driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode and it is breathtaking.)

Oh well. Knew I didn't have a chance but gave it the best I could as I waved to him while he watched in his rear view (I'm guessing he was watching).

My wife was more depressed than I was. I knew what to expect - she didn't.

Maybe next time (or not).
I'm not a Tesla fan I'm a Corvette fan. Although I wouldn't mind having one as a family car. And so it beat you but You are in a sports car first and not a four door sedan that's good to get groceries. Smile your Vette looks great.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader

I am willing to race from Red ball garage in New York city NY, to the Portofino Inn in Redondo beach CA for titles. I am willing to give you a 6 hour head start. Any takers ?

and I think that's something electric car owners don't know (or don't want to admit to)... to get range you need to granny-drive these cars; possibly without AC and other creature comforts operating.

But even with that, what the current crop offers is amazing; but let's all be realistic at the same time (and not get caught-up in some ALGore-cult mindset).
Old 06-01-2018, 08:49 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
and I think that's something electric car owners don't know (or don't want to admit to)... to get range you need to granny-drive these cars; possibly without AC and other creature comforts operating.

But even with that, what the current crop offers is amazing; but let's all be realistic at the same time (and not get caught-up in some ALGore-cult mindset).
In the interest of actually making this happen, I'm now willing to extend the head start to 8 full hours....

Its time to bring it on TSLA owners …

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 06-01-2018 at 08:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
ls7plus (05-30-2021), Mike Mercury (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:18 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I like the vert part of the vette. I wouldn't want a tesla vert; apparently they were so bad that the builder had to ship them off-planet, to Marsico.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

I live in the Bay Area, Teslas are a dime a dozen. The Model X, which is hideous, is very popular. People dress them like that they're actual performance cars too - dark expensive rims, personalized plates, etc.

Anyway, I had one of these minvan'esque SUVs Teslas utterly DESTROY me on a weekend afternoon. I knew he would, I was just excited to come across a Tesla driver who had ***** and knew how to mash a throttle.

Teslas are souless. But awesome appliances. I put them in the same category as a microwave, albeit a 100,000 dollar, networked, drivable microwave.

No, the race that crushed me was a GTR on the freeway.

We slowed down to (no one was around) 50, I popped it into 2nd gear, redlined in a second, and no lift-shifted into 3rd. Took it over 100.

The GTR was long gone. Long, long, long gone. I knew they were fast, but I thought at freeway speeds forced induction would have limits.

Nu uh.

So, now I'm gonna get a A&A.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by BenCasey
I live in the Bay Area...No, the race that crushed me was a GTR on the freeway.
Were you on the 280?

I’m from that area and used to enjoy that freeway quite a bit at times...back in the early 70’s when it was still new. Nice, sweeping curves, great views and very little traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Tesla

Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

hell yeah I was on the 280! it's terrific, an amazing race track. On a weekend, you have it to yourself north of palo alto and south of daly city.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:17 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

hell yeah I was on the 280! it's terrific, an amazing race track. On a weekend, you have it to yourself north of palo alto and south of daly city.
Exactly. I lived in San Bruno in the hills above Skyline Blvd. and traveled to Mt. View often.

Loved that freeway...
Old 06-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I live in the Bay Area, Teslas are a dime a dozen. The Model X, which is hideous, is very popular. People dress them like that they're actual performance cars too - dark expensive rims, personalized plates, etc.

Anyway, I had one of these minvan'esque SUVs Teslas utterly DESTROY me on a weekend afternoon. I knew he would, I was just excited to come across a Tesla driver who had ***** and knew how to mash a throttle.

Teslas are souless. But awesome appliances. I put them in the same category as a microwave, albeit a 100,000 dollar, networked, drivable microwave.

No, the race that crushed me was a GTR on the freeway.

We slowed down to (no one was around) 50, I popped it into 2nd gear, redlined in a second, and no lift-shifted into 3rd. Took it over 100.

The GTR was long gone. Long, long, long gone. I knew they were fast, but I thought at freeway speeds forced induction would have limits.

Nu uh.

So, now I'm gonna get a A&A.
I went to a Dyno event this past weekend and a few GTRs were putting down over 900 to the wheels. A lot of these are modified so you never know what your going to get.
ls7plus (05-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Lost to a Tesla