Sponsored by:

Lost to a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:31 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I have to agree. In traffic I'm always checking out the cars around me and the Tesla does stand out as a very attractive 4 door. Better looking that the Mercedes "S" sedans to my eye and the the Mercedes are very attractive.
For me, the design of the big MBs for the last 20 years or so have been the model of beautiful auto aesthetics.
For example, the last gen E-series and the first gen CLS were cars I had to struggle not to buy...and I firmly believe in buying American.
To this day, I still stare at them.

The Tesla S goes in a different direction aesthetically.
More of an old school sleek appearance...similar to older Jaguar, Aston Martin designs but undeniably modern.
Particularly if you look at the sparse, minimal, futuristic look of the interior (the big screen aside for a moment).
I would be happy to own a Tesla, but I don't have a need for a sedan at the moment.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
Good thing I’m not one of those people. Nor do I fly commercial anymore.
That's actually the last thing in life I want... the one thing I need more money for: Private air travel.

I use the Virgin Upper Class private terminal at Heathrow and that's actually good enough for me, but private or even NetJets is the dream.

Tell us more of tales from the other side! Dare to dream...

As for this thread, I have both the Z and the P100D and I think I ruptured my C6 disc in the Tesla last Thurdsay... it's quick.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Velocity
I was told by the moderator that it was difficult to change my name and sig and I would have to create a new profile. I chose to keep my old C6 profile. Rest assured I now have a 2017 C7.
Sorry about the confusion.
Easy to have your name changed. I just did it a few weeks ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-request.html
Old 06-14-2018, 06:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
For Tesla, it depends on how hard the runs are and to what top speed etc. If you push the Tesla from a dig to it's top speed which I believe is 150mph, it often overheats after 1 or 2 runs and goes into limp mode.

Obviously you can't do that on local streets but why race an AWD car that's made for 0-60 & short races? You didn't say which model S it is but if it is the 85 and above, it would take even the ZR1 to 60mph but the Tesla would absolutely get chewed up and spit out by any C7 Vette on the track.

I believe one of the major car mags, R&T or MotorTrend, tested the P85 on a track and it went into limp mode in less than a min.
Per Tesla, on their very own website, the following facts.

S 75D--------------4.2 seconds 0-60

S 100D------------4.1 seconds 0-60.

And the latest....

3------------------4.9 seconds 0-60 per drag times video.

Those times don't crush a Corvette. Not even a base 460HP $57,000 StingRay.

The only Tesla that crushes a Corvette 0-60 is the $140,000 P100D Ludicrous and above 150 MPH every Corvette made since 1997 can crush a Tesla, even the $140,000 version.

PS- not every Tesla on the road is a P100D Ludicrous. Chances are that if find yourself next to a Tesla at a red light, it will be a slow model, as I pointed out above.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-14-2018 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
Were you around in 1973 and had to wait on line at a gas station for up two days just to get gas ? I have. That Tesla would plug in at home and laugh at you as he drove by. Don't get me wrong I love my C6. My C6 and Honda dirt bike are the only thing's I have that run on Gasoline. Tesla is kinda the future type of cars and their here to stay. Sorry.
I have been buying gas since 1956. I have never had to wait in line for gas due to a shortage (unless the gas station was overly busy that day, but no gas shortage) including 1973 or on Sept 11, 2001.

Sure, at some select locations there were some lines(that the press blew all out of proportion for the "headlines").

Just like all the "negative" press covering the 1957 Little Rock Central high school "crises. I was there as a student and what the evening national news showed as happening was a bunch of false crap.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
Were you around in 1973 and had to wait on line at a gas station for up two days just to get gas ? I have. That Tesla would plug in at home and laugh at you as he drove by. Don't get me wrong I love my C6. My C6 and Honda dirt bike are the only thing's I have that run on Gasoline. Tesla is kinda the future type of cars and their here to stay. Sorry.
I was around when gas 15-25 cents a gallon. I waited in lines and did the odd even purchase days. Still don't care for an electric car
Old 06-14-2018, 09:18 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I hope Tesla keeps going and develops a sports car. That is the only electric I would consider (and it would be down my list). I am a typical Corvette owner who gets a large part of satisfaction from the car by the rumble of the engine. With range limitations, an electric would only be an 3rd car or commuter for me, therefore, the sports car.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:45 PM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 68roadster
I hope Tesla keeps going and develops a sports car. That is the only electric I would consider (and it would be down my list). I am a typical Corvette owner who gets a large part of satisfaction from the car by the rumble of the engine. With range limitations, an electric would only be an 3rd car or commuter for me, therefore, the sports car.
https://www.tesla.com/roadster
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a yellow C7 Z51 M7, black wheels, red calipers. Sticks out in the crowd of nondescript white, gray and black cars.

Wasn't looking for a race, but saw a silver Tesla Model S in my rear view maneuvering to get in the lane next to me. Stopped at a red light and after moving over 2 lanes he was next to me. I didn't look at him, but told my wife he wants to race. In the old days, he would have revved his engine but of course his car was silent. My wife said don't do it, but you know I had to. Looked around to make sure it was clear. Everything looked good. Watched the traffic light for the other direction and waited for the change. Light changed and we took off.

I didn't have a chance. He must have had ludicrous mode turned on and he blew me silently away. (I've driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode and it is breathtaking.)

Oh well. Knew I didn't have a chance but gave it the best I could as I waved to him while he watched in his rear view (I'm guessing he was watching).

My wife was more depressed than I was. I knew what to expect - she didn't.

Maybe next time (or not).
Next time, don't be a cheapskate, get the Z06, and tell the hippies to suck your smog pipes.

A model S tried to walk away from me, and I just laughed.
Tesla = Z06's b#tch

Last edited by jdlev; 06-14-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Some day I'm going to buy a TSLA and I'm going to install a six hundred cubic inch Keith Black hemi engine in it that has a super charger and runs on nitromethane. I'm going to mount in in the back with some giant chrome pipes sticking out the deck lid. Once this is finished I'm gong to run down every electric car in my neighborhood, and I'm going to catch them at a stoplight, but instead of street racing, I'm going to yell out the window " How's your mileage ?? … Are you getting good mileage??".

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 06-14-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:50 PM
HPT
Racer

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Some day I'm going to buy a TSLA and I'm going to install a six hundred cubic inch Keith Black hemi engine in it that has a super charger and runs on nitromethane. I'm going to mount in in the back with some giant chrome pipes sticking out the deck lid. Once this is finished I'm gong to run down every electric car in my neighborhood, and I'm going to catch them at a stoplight, but instead of street racing, I'm going to yell out the window " How's your mileage ?? … Are you getting good mileage??".
Well gawwlee that oughtta be a hoot'n holler'n time. Ah yuck!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by HPT
Well gawwlee that oughtta be a hoot'n holler'n time. Ah yuck!
It will be.
In fact it so closely mirrors the typical TSLA owners blind spot about the general inferiority of the TSLA car, that it will be worth it.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:09 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Been looking for a Tesla P100D Street or Strip.

A8/Z06, Here is a time slip from one of the few times that I have been to the track lately. Yes, street drag radials, AFE CAI with the low flow filter and stock tune. Do I stand a chance?

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 06-14-2018 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (07-22-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Lol....
133 wowYeah ... I know where my bets would be.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Newsflash, the Stingray is no where near the fastest thing from a standing start.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:03 PM
HPT
Racer

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
A8/Z06, Here is a time slip from one of the few times that I have been to the track lately. Yes, street drag radials, AFE CAI with the low flow filter and stock tune. Do I stand a chance?
Here's a timeslip from a bone stock Tesla. It will be ahead of you by a negligible amount through the 1/8-mile, but you'll edge it out by the end of the track. Congrats...in the fastest and most powerful car GM had ever produced up until last year with drag racing tires and an intake, you beat a stock family sedan made by a company making cars for less than 10 years by a whopping 0.2 seconds.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:10 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by HPT
Here's a timeslip from a bone stock Tesla. It will be ahead of you by a negligible amount through the 1/8-mile, but you'll edge it out by the end of the track. Congrats...in the fastest and most powerful car GM had ever produced up until last year with drag racing tires and an intake, you beat a stock family sedan made by a company making cars for less than 10 years by a whopping 0.2 seconds.
Yeah that's fine and all, but lets not forget how TSLA fails to fulfill the most basic function of any automobile, which is to move the occupants a long distance in a short amount of time. Total failure. All gas engine cars are superior. There are no exceptions. TSLA is the omega car, inferior to all, superior to none.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 06-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Tesla

Old 06-15-2018, 02:10 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a yellow C7 Z51 M7, black wheels, red calipers. Sticks out in the crowd of nondescript white, gray and black cars.

Wasn't looking for a race, but saw a silver Tesla Model S in my rear view maneuvering to get in the lane next to me. Stopped at a red light and after moving over 2 lanes he was next to me. I didn't look at him, but told my wife he wants to race. In the old days, he would have revved his engine but of course his car was silent. My wife said don't do it, but you know I had to. Looked around to make sure it was clear. Everything looked good. Watched the traffic light for the other direction and waited for the change. Light changed and we took off.

I didn't have a chance. He must have had ludicrous mode turned on and he blew me silently away. (I've driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode and it is breathtaking.)

Oh well. Knew I didn't have a chance but gave it the best I could as I waved to him while he watched in his rear view (I'm guessing he was watching).

My wife was more depressed than I was. I knew what to expect - she didn't.

Maybe next time (or not).
Hate them silent, but deadly Teslas!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
This will be the one to keep your eye on, if it happens.
https://www.tesla.com/roadster

Notice they don't mention any lateral g numbers. That car weighs the same as a C7 with a miata on its back.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:37 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Notice they don't mention any lateral g numbers. That car weighs the same as a C7 with a miata on its back.
Can't even imagine the price. Like the looks.

Quick Reply: Lost to a Tesla