Sponsored by:

Lost to a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:39 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have been buying gas since 1956. I have never had to wait in line for gas due to a shortage (unless the gas station was overly busy that day, but no gas shortage) including 1973 or on Sept 11, 2001.

Lucky you, Joe, but I would submit you were the exception. I waited in those lines. I remember those lines. It wasn't "fake crap." It was an extreme hassle. Don't dismiss what the rest of us went through just because you did not.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Corvette owners are generally about mid life crisis, gold chain wearing, jabronies.

See how generalizations work?

Teslas are cool cars. So are Porches, so are lots of other cars. No reason to discriminate.
A homeless guy knocked on the door of a fancy home and asked for work. The owner, wanting to help the guy out, gave him a bucket of paint and said, "I'll pay you $100 to paint the porch." The homeless guy looked surprised, but agreed. Two hours later he knocked on the door. When the owner came to the door, he said, "All through. Although you should know, that's a Ferrari, not a Porsche."
Old 06-15-2018, 02:53 PM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Notice they don't mention any lateral g numbers. That car weighs the same as a C7 with a miata on its back.
Correct, they did not "mention any lateral g numbers." They also did not mention any curb weight figures, so your last point is moot.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
Here's a timeslip from a bone stock Tesla. It will be ahead of you by a negligible amount through the 1/8-mile, but you'll edge it out by the end of the track. Congrats...in the fastest and most powerful car GM had ever produced up until last year with drag racing tires and an intake, you beat a stock family sedan made by a company making cars for less than 10 years by a whopping 0.2 seconds.

Impressive.

It's .026 seconds quicker(and 8 MPH slower) in the 1/4 than bone stock RWD C6 ZR1 on OE tires.

It's .343 seconds quicker(and 5 MPH slower) in the 1/4 than bone stock RWD C6 Z06 on really crappy OE Goodyear tires.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-15-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
Here's a timeslip from a bone stock Tesla. It will be ahead of you by a negligible amount through the 1/8-mile, but you'll edge it out by the end of the track. Congrats...in the fastest and most powerful car GM had ever produced up until last year with drag racing tires and an intake, you beat a stock family sedan made by a company making cars for less than 10 years by a whopping 0.2 seconds.
LOL... Congrats to the Tesla driver -- he's driving an extremely expensive family sedan instead of a sports car. Woohoo. Livin' the dream, isn't he?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:16 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Electric motors are highly efficient and put out instantaneous torque. I know a lot will be upset at the demise of the internal combustion engine when it comes but there will be some really fast corvettes out there when they can figure out the battery problem (charging time, load capacity, etc) and the use of room temperature superconducting materials like wiring and internal battery parts.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:18 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ptalar
Electric motors are highly efficient and put out instantaneous torque. I know a lot will be upset at the demise of the internal combustion engine when it comes but there will be some really fast corvettes out there when they can figure out the battery problem (charging time, load capacity, etc) and the use of room temperature superconducting materials like wiring and internal battery parts.
and in just another thousand years, all those problems will be solved.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I'm still waiting for them to figure out how to change lead into gold. I have a large horde of lead just waiting.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Not such a long time, all things considered.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:28 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
I admire the car and technology that has gone into it. As said above many times, it is the car of the future. One step beyond that is the integration of "autonomous" vehicles that will eventually replace ALL of the cars we see today. Next-door to my work place in Michigan is the new autonomous testing track that ALL of the major auto manufactures have put LARGE investments into the technology. If you pay attention you can see where this is taking all of us. Follow the $$$. An auto production expert the other day said in 50 years or LESS, it will be illegal to take a dumb car like ours on the road; same as you don't see horse buggy's on the interstate. Technology and computer tech is expanding exponentially every year. I'm old and won't see it, but my grand kids certainly will. Till then, I'll keep my C7 and enjoy the V8 rumble, and I'll certainly pass on stoplight to stoplight against a Tesla.
Jay Leno discussed this in one of his youtube videos and his take is that there will be special tracks or roads where you can still drive the "dumb cars" for the hobbyists. Maybe a place like Willow Springs in California. That is, if gas is still available. You will also need classic car insurance as you would not be able to get mainstream car insurance, if that even exists (if all cars are autonomous then who is liable for a collision?). It will be a rich mans hobby as the car collecting hobby has been.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:32 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default TWO TENTHS & 9 MPH faster is 'Whopping' for a 'Bracket Racer'.

Originally Posted by HPT

FYI, I have more 1.53's 60 foot's on the 'stock' MPSS OEM tires than with the drag radials. 1.53 60' is the lowest 60 foot for either tire as of now. However when bracket racing the drag radials never spin where with the stockers it is hit and miss.

As far as the AFE CAI (w/blue 'high flow' filter) goes when I first installed it I lost ET so I was going to remove it but decided to try the grey dry 'low flow' filter which picked me up approx. 1 mph at the time so I kept it.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 06-15-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:01 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HPT
Correct, they did not "mention any lateral g numbers." They also did not mention any curb weight figures, so your last point is moot.
Hardly. The coal powered tesla weighs nearly twice what a normal car weighs. They talk about the electric motor torque as "physics". Well, the energy density of the batteries is just "chemistry". State of the art lithium batteries put out, at best, about 240 Wh/kg, not including the support structure. The Roadster battery pack is advertised at 200 KWh, which means the battery pack ALONE weighs 1800 pounds, not counting the support structure for all those lithium cells.

Subtracting the weight of the power train from a car with similar power potential, say, the C7 ZR1, (425 for the engine, 125 for the supercharger, and 200 for the transmission and prop shaft) leaves a shell weighing about 2800 lbs. Add the battery pack and you've got 4600 lbs, and that still doesn't include the weight of the three electric motors. The car weighs as much as a 4wd diesel pickup.

That car may accelerate in a straight line, but sheer physics dictates it will handle like crap and stop even worse. The only way to make the car handle and stop anywhere close to a modern car will be to put track tires on the car like they did on the old NSX's that needed a new set of tires every 3,000 miles.

The car has another glaring defect that has nothing to do with physics, too: the ability to have its software updated remotely. How long do you think it will take before someone hacks Tesla? The more successful they are, the sooner someone's going to introduce a virus that causes all teslas to die, and probably not in a nice way.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by partisan
Can't even imagine the price. Like the looks.
When you press the 'pre-buy' button on the Tesla Roadster website, you'll see that you can pick up the cheapest one for the low, low, LOW discount price of $200,000. Assuming they ever get produced, of course. Or just $250,000 for the "special" edition.

Yeah. No thanks.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-15-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I wonder if the electric POS needs to be recharged before returning to the pits?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

It would be awesome if the new TSLA came with a hitch and trailer that has a gas powered generator on it, and one of those orange extension cords from the generator to the plug in. It could be called the "long range" option.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

It would be awesome if the new TSLA came with a hitch and trailer that has a gas powered generator on it, and one of those orange extension cords from the generator to the plug in. It could be called the "long range" option.
You're dead on. The future of cars will be hybrids, not pure electrics. At least until it becomes possible to recharge a battery in less than 15 minutes. (Which won't happen until they invent high temperature superconductors, not to mention a battery that can handle being recharged that fast.)

The reason is range. You can never drive an electric more than half its range from your house unless you're prepared to spend the night.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Yeah that's fine and all, but lets not forget how TSLA fails to fulfill the most basic function of any automobile, which is to move the occupants a long distance in a short amount of time. Total failure.
Uhhh, that's YOUR definition of "the most basic function of an automobile."
There are others.
All gas engine cars are superior. There are no exceptions. TSLA is the omega car, inferior to all, superior to none.
OK OK, we get it...you didn't buy TSLA stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Tesla

Old 06-15-2018, 07:06 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Electric supercars from tesla and jaguar will make this racing scenario a lot more common...on a highway roll or stop light...

Track times are hampered by heating up batteries where the computer shuts down performance mode after one lap if that...

Eventually that will change too...and when it does..

We will all be dinosaurs
Do they have "sustained" speed or just at launch?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 PM
HPT
Racer

Originally Posted by JFJr
I wonder if the electric POS needs to be recharged before returning to the pits?
No, it doesn't. On top of that, the prototype Roadster at the reveal did north of 100 launches for test rides without a single hiccup or need of a charge.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 PM
HPT
Racer

Originally Posted by sunsalem

OK OK, we get it...you didn't buy TSLA stock.
LOL...I think that's what it is.

Tesla stock back in March quite literally paid for my ZR1, and over the last few weeks net me another $600K or so...in realized gains, not just on paper.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lost to a Tesla