Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost to a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:52 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

There's a video on the web of a P100D with a stripped interior street racing. It starts with stock challengers and works up to mustangs with big blocks, superchargers and nitrous. The owner of the P100D cleaned house. Didn't take a break for a recharge either.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 602 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
I think he was making fun of the idea that a Tesla could do anything approaching 50

Yeah, I was trying to be funny responding to the post that said each run only used 2% of charge. 2% x 50 pulls = 100% discharged. Hence, screwed on run 51 😉
Old 07-28-2018, 03:23 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Everyone needs to bite the bullet and recognize we are in a period of transition, and the hot-rodders of the future will be the kids swapping out oxygen-free conductors, exotic high-discharge capacitors, ultrarare-earth magnet motors, and above all, *programmers* who want to get maximum possible acceleration without SNAPPING THE DRIVER'S FREAKIN' NECK

With motors that respond to digital inputs at all four wheels, precision torque management and precision resistive/regenerative braking is becoming a Thing, and it's got amazing potential.

There is an avalanche of fast, competent battery-electric cars coming in the next 5 years to add to what we already have. The Teslas; the Rimacs (the Rimacs!); the i8 (generator hybrid, I know); the (very good for what it does) Bolt - they're about to be joined by Volvo Polestars, Jaguar's I-Pace (another freakin' crossover); Audi e-Trons; Fisker EMotion (maybe) and the Porsche Taycan (production iteration of the Mission E) -

...mother of Chrome, it's full of stars...

Last edited by Wadoka; 07-28-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:39 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I got whooped by a grandmother in her KIA Soul yesterday.in the Walmart parking lot. She cut me off and grabbed
"my" handicap parking space.

When she got out of her Soul, I tasered her skinny ***, and stole her walker. When I got inside Walmart, I beat her to the last available "high tech" electric powered, riding shopping cart.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:16 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
What if you pulled a trailer with a gas generator on it and ran one of those orange extension cords up to the charging port ?
Next time I'm visiting my daughter in Houston we need to hang out.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadoka
Everyone needs to bite the bullet and recognize we are in a period of transition, and the hot-rodders of the future will be the kids swapping out oxygen-free conductors, exotic high-discharge capacitors, ultrarare-earth magnet motors, and above all, *programmers* who want to get maximum possible acceleration without SNAPPING THE DRIVER'S FREAKIN' NECK

With motors that respond to digital inputs at all four wheels, precision torque management and precision resistive/regenerative braking is becoming a Thing, and it's got amazing potential.

There is an avalanche of fast, competent battery-electric cars coming in the next 5 years to add to what we already have. The Teslas; the Rimacs (the Rimacs!); the i8 (generator hybrid, I know); the (very good for what it does) Bolt - they're about to be joined by Volvo Polestars, Jaguar's I-Pace (another freakin' crossover); Audi e-Trons; Fisker EMotion (maybe) and the Porsche Taycan (production iteration of the Mission E) -

...mother of Chrome, it's full of stars...
Some of you might recognize the name Don Garlits, one of the best ever in NHRA history. He is now building electric dragsters. Amazing guy, and at his age, too.
Watched him run the 1320 many times.
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...ovation-at-86/

Last edited by Null Pointer; 07-28-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadoka
Everyone needs to bite the bullet and recognize we are in a period of transition, and the hot-rodders of the future will be the kids swapping out oxygen-free conductors, exotic high-discharge capacitors, ultrarare-earth magnet motors, ...
(snip)
Funny how you think we ALL need to like the same things at the same time -- thus all the bullet-biting you think is required, for us all to 'get on the bandwagon' of electric cars. And a lot of us don't care what the 'kids' think is cool, nor do we feel the need to emulate them or their proclivities.

Driving enjoyment cannot be simply defined by what some think is 'fastest' or "best" -- if it were, we'd likely all be driving top fuel dragsters.

Why drive a Miata when a Corvette is absolutely faster?
Why drive a Corvette when a Miata is lighter/more responsive?
Why drive a 2 seater when most say a 4-door sedan is "better" and more useful?
Why drive a manual transmission when an automatic shifts 'faster' than any human?
Why drive a gas V8 when an electric motor is faster in the 1/4?
Why drive at ALL when self-driving cars are easier, safer, and better (give us more time to Facebook/Twitter/etc)?

See how we as drivers often disagree with what some consider 'best', or heaven forbid -- "what is best for us"? So the statement that 'electrics are going to soon replace gas-motored sports cars just because electrics can be faster' seems unsupported by history, nor does there seem to exist wide agreement that electrics will win over the majority of current auto enthusiasts.

For myself, I define driving enjoyment NOT from a single metric such as "what is fastest from A to B", but as the harmonious and symbiotic interaction of man and a machine tuned for driving (thus my penchant for human-involving, yet slower manual transmissions). While electric motors may be great for commuters, buses, and other transportation appliances, for my enjoyment, they don't have the soul that exists in a gasoline engine.

Enjoy your Tesla if that's what makes you happy, but don't look down on those who do NOT share your thinking that 'electric' is the end-all be-all of sports cars.

Last edited by Kent1999; 07-28-2018 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Atomic6 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:09 PM
loudv8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you do some mods, don't mess with them Teslas exept maybe top end. By then you are in jail.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't have a problem with Tesla, I just like the sound and feel of an internal combustion engine. To me, driving a Tesla is a little bit like driving an electric golf car; a bit too muted for my taste. The only thing that bothers me about Tesla is the exterior design lacking a front grille on the car. I understand why it doesn't need a grille, but it just looks unfinished; like a fiberglass mold that they forgot to cut the grille opening out of.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Since I own both, let me clear up a little FUD for you here.

First, I don't think the model S would make a great first/only car for a family that takes a lot of back road adventures.

That said, however, my S gets over 300 miles and that's more than enough - it's about a tank of gas in the Vette, if you think about it that way. The only time it's even been an issue was on a round trip seattle-portland where a 20 minute coffee break at a Supercharger is needed. For free, mind you.

In a gas car you're going to have to stop for gas anyway once.

I don't have any "range anxiety" until it gets down to about 1/8 of a tank, but I've never driven it much under 1/2, so it's sized big enough for me (though I do have the biggest 100kwhr battery).

I surprised Americans are hating on American ingenuity and manufacturing so harshly! As a furrener, I think you should be proud of what the USA has accomplished, it leads the world in electric cars. Whether the gov't meddling was helpful or worth it is another story for another day. But the Tesla is no Leaf.

Last edited by davepl; 07-31-2018 at 11:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by davepl:
68roadster (08-06-2018), Grzldvt1 (08-01-2018), Maxpowers (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:41 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

First, I don't think the model S would make a great first/only car for a family that takes a lot of back road adventures.

That said, however, my S gets over 300 miles and that's more than enough - it's about a tank of gas in the Vette, if you think about it that way. The only time it's even been an issue was on a round trip seattle-portland where a 20 minute coffee break at a Supercharger is needed. For free, mind you.

I don't have any "range anxiety" until it gets down to about 1/8 of a tank, but I've never driven it much under 1/2, so it's sized big enough for me (though I do have the biggest 100kwhr battery).

I surprised Americans are hating on American ingenuity and manufacturing so harshly! As a furrener, I think you should be proud of what the USA has accomplished, it leads the world in electric cars. Whether the gov't meddling was helpful or worth it is another story for another day. But the Tesla is no Leaf.
As I mentioned before, electric cars have a bad image as something driven by smug liberals so they can feel superior to the rest of us deplorables. No matter what the reality, electric cars will have to overcome that image before they will meet with general acceptance.

The other issue is the recharging time. Yeah, you may not take a road trip all that often, but it's nice to have the ability when you need it. That limitation of the electrics is going to deter a lot of folks even after the image problem has been overcome.
Atomic6 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:41 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

+100! Americans say buy American and then trash American products. Common sense seems to be lost.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Dave, no matter how much evidence or firsthand experience you bring to the table, it won't persuade some folks.
We live in a society where FACTS are not demonstrable...there are a matter of FAITH.

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
As I mentioned before, electric cars have a bad image as something driven by smug liberals so they can feel superior to the rest of us deplorables. No matter what the reality, electric cars will have to overcome that image before they will meet with general acceptance.
Exactly HOW does the marketplace overcome political prejudice?

The other issue is the recharging time. Yeah, you may not take a road trip all that often, but it's nice to have the ability when you need it.
That limitation of the electrics is going to deter a lot of folks even after the image problem has been overcome.
As Dave indicated above, access to a charging stations is not a problem.

Check out the this map of charging stations across the country from the Dept. of Energy:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/el...rest?fuel=ELEC

Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Exactly HOW does the marketplace overcome political prejudice?
If I knew that, I'd be making a zillion dollars running a marketing firm instead of programming computers.

Originally Posted by sunsalem
As Dave indicated above, access to a charging stations is not a problem.

Check out the this map of charging stations across the country from the Dept. of Energy:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/el...rest?fuel=ELEC
It has less to do with availability and more to do with charging TIME. Even the DC Fast Charging stations, what Tesla calls Supercharging stations, put out a MAXIMUM 60 Kw. That means even on the fastest setting, it will take nearly two hours to recharge the Tesla S, compared to 5 minutes for a gas powered car. Assuming you don't have to wait in line.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:54 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
If I knew that, I'd be making a zillion dollars running a marketing firm instead of programming computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZeq9eXAys

It has less to do with availability and more to do with charging TIME. Even the DC Fast Charging stations, what Tesla calls Supercharging stations, put out a MAXIMUM 60 Kw. That means even on the fastest setting, it will take nearly two hours to recharge the Tesla S, compared to 5 minutes for a gas powered car. Assuming you don't have to wait in line.
Not sure where you are getting your information, but customers coming into my detail shop can charge from 20% to 100% in 20 minutes. I see 5-6 Teslas a week in my shop, and it is a question I ask each one. What is a real fact, everyone of them said the minor wait is worth it.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Not sure where you are getting your information, but customers coming into my detail shop can charge from 20% to 100% in 20 minutes. I see 5-6 Teslas a week in my shop, and it is a question I ask each one. What is a real fact, everyone of them said the minor wait is worth it.
I got my information from the manufacturer: http://www.blinknetwork.com/brochure...er/page02.html 60Kw max, right there in the brochure. So either your customers are lying to you or their car is feeding them BS. Either way you can't get 100 Kwh out of a 60 Kw charger in less than an hour and 40 minutes. Having said that, it's not like the gas gauge in a regular car is anything like linear, so it wouldn't surprise me that the charge gauge in the Tesla was optimistic as well.

As far as whether it's worth it, I'm sure they're going to tell you that no matter what they think of the car privately. Let's take a trip from LA to Seattle and see what they think then.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I still can't understand why people use screwdrivers to hammer nails. Long distance = airplane. If someone is limited financially to needing to use one tool for every job, then they're not the correct demographic for a Tesla.

I wouldn't pull a boat with my Corvette, or strap a canoe on the roof either. It's simply the wrong tool for the task.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Tesla

Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I still can't understand why people use screwdrivers to hammer nails. Long distance = airplane. If someone is limited financially to needing to use one tool for every job, then they're not the correct demographic for a Tesla.
It doesn't fit in the political narrative. Comments like Teslas are "driven by smug liberals" show how ignorant the discussion gets.
UsernameProtected (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:19 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I wouldn't pull a boat with my Corvette, or strap a canoe on the roof either. It's simply the wrong tool for the task.
There's only a few thousand legitimate reasons why someone would drive.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

That's avoiding the issue. I can drive to Houston from my house faster than I can fly the same distance, counting airport hassles at both ends, with the added bonus of driving my own car once I get there. But not in a Tesla.

Quick Reply: Lost to a Tesla