Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by IH8FORD

I’m the corvette tech for a dealership in buffalo area. I will check in the morning to see if this is covered. I know they just changed some of the certified pre owned warranty things. I’ve changed a couple of these dashes but they were all still under the bumper to bumper warranty.
Would you mind shooting me a PM? I'm originally from Buffalo and actually know a sales manager at one of the dealerships, but haven't talked to him in years.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:24 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

GM called today and gave me a hard time. We talked in circles around the fact that this should be covered because it's a defect and because it wasn't listed as a part that is excluded from warranty. They told me that I absolutely had to go to a dealer to get a "diagnostic" done and once GM ruled on their decision, it was final. I mentioned that it was funny that I sent pictures to the dealership that sold me the car and they came back with 50% without arriving at the dealership. I don't mind going to a dealer, but its so incredibly frustrating to have to go through this process. I asked to speak to a regional manager, but the only thing I could get was the mailing address to write to corporate GM. Which I will plan on doing if need be.

Another annoying piece is that in all of my conversations with GM and the local dealership is that they all said "your factory warranty has expired" and talked about those details before realizing the CPO 12mo/12k was in place.

Last edited by JDMvette7; 06-19-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:12 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Not cool GM - not cool
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Not cool GM - not cool
Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

So, you haven't taken your C7 to a Chev. dealer? That's strange. Do so, and report back.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:49 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I emailed pics and then called the same dealer to discuss. Then followed up to ask if I could bring it in and they said it wasn't necessary. I will be going back to them or another dealer within the week.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

yes, had mine replaced in March - pulled away like post #17 it would lay back down in the sun - but you could tell, - they did a great job - glad I had it replaced
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

What year was your car? Covered under factory warranty or CPO?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:01 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

2015 yes covered under warranty -
Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by walker3
2015 yes covered under warranty -
But was it the original factory warranty? Or did you buy CPO? Glad they replaced for you!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDMvette7
But was it the original factory warranty? Or did you buy CPO? Glad they replaced for you!
original factory warranty
Old 06-21-2018, 01:51 AM
spc54
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is the same way.... same extended warranty cause of other issues with the car. GM told me to go bark at the moon, so I've left it as is....
Old 06-21-2018, 06:35 AM
djbelt
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

My car has the Spice Red Appearance Group. The dash is a little different from the standard 3LT dash, and I understand the part 23358568 is no longer available. I have an appointment next week. I would like to be ready with a rebuttal when they tell that the part is discontinued. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 AM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want a 3LT especially at the cost and issues.
Why would anyone even want a Corvette after reading this forum regarding bad paint, bent wheels, overheating, poorly shifting A8 transmissions, leaky fuel tanks, etc.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by djbelt
My car has the Spice Red Appearance Group. The dash is a little different from the standard 3LT dash, and I understand the part 23358568 is no longer available. I have an appointment next week. I would like to be ready with a rebuttal when they tell that the part is discontinued. Any ideas?
Hopfully it will be covered BUT some C7's are getting past warranty and I supplied the following info to one member who thought this $10 fix would fit him!

First most I have seen as well as the OP's look like a competent interior repair shop could fit with some adhesive. However if that leaves a gap the approach I used to match my Adrenalin Red Upper dash Pad I added. cold work with a DIY adhesive fix. Just put this trim in the who seem between the two pieces. These are some pics of what I used for a different reason:

Pics below are what I used on the driver's door to match the red upper dash pad I added. It comes in rolls and various colors including black. But it would not match some colors. Can buy on Amazon.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Call GM directly - if this is not listed as 'not covered' then obviously it should be covered. Of course GM and the dealership know most people won't go through a legal fight to get justice, but hopefully if you push hard enough they'll do the right thing and fix the defect.
??? What can GM do, they don't fix cars and the dealer would have to look to see if they think GM will cover.

Yeah I've heard that cracking the windows and getting a sunscreen is a good move. I do have other bubbling though so it's not just the vent :
Yep down South you have to leave a window cracked and if parked all day in the sun use a sun shade!
GM called today and gave me a hard time. We talked in circles around the fact that this should be covered because it's a defect and because it wasn't listed as a part that is excluded from warranty. They told me that I absolutely had to go to a dealer to get a "diagnostic" done and once GM ruled on their decision, it was final. I mentioned that it was funny that I sent pictures to the dealership that sold me the car and they came back with 50% without arriving at the dealership. I don't mind going to a dealer, but its so incredibly frustrating to have to go through this process. I asked to speak to a regional manager, but the only thing I could get was the mailing address to write to corporate GM. Which I will plan on doing if need be.
I know you took a pic BUT consider calling GM with a pic! I could take a pic from the forum and send it to them and show a dash with that minor issue when in fact my dash was also cracked from being exposed to the sun in a closed car for 4 yeasr!
Originally Posted by spc54
Mine is the same way.... same extended warranty cause of other issues with the car. GM told me to go bark at the moon, so I've left it as is....
Yep extended warranties often don't cover interior issues.
Not trying to be augmentative BUT how can you expect GM to approve a defect you describe over the phone or even send a pic? How would they know if that was the pic of your car? Lots of pics I could copy on the Forum from a car that was not parked for 4 years with the windows closed in the hot sun without a sun shade, where mine was!

How could you expect them to say anything but the "Dealer Must Look At It? Granted a polite statement would be, "It might be covered please bring the car to a Dealer!"

I have had two items covered that GM official policy is logically was NOT covered. It took the Chevy Dealer's GM Local Area Service Manager to approve. One was a broken clutch pressure plate on a 6 month old Chevy (clutches normally are not covered.) The other was a hole my C6 AC condenser (GM says it could be caused by a rock- I proved it wasn't!) Both covered 100% by the GM Local Area Service Manager. Can't blame the dealer or GM. Just Sayn'.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-21-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:01 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Assuming that nothing goes wrong with the replacement, the total cost to me will be around $670 which I can live with.

Ultimately GM was set on their 50% contribution and when I went up the chain with the selling dealer, they agreed to split the remainder of the difference. Ready to have it fixed and move on with my life

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT - Another Dash question

Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
Why would anyone even want a Corvette after reading this forum regarding bad paint, bent wheels, overheating, poorly shifting A8 transmissions, leaky fuel tanks, etc.

What is the real problem is that the C6 4LT had bad fuel tanks and the bad dash. I'm leaning to not buying GM in the future. Things break but the same old crap.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Pics below are what I used on the driver's door to match the red upper dash pad I added. It comes in rolls and various colors including black. But it would not match some colors. Can buy on Amazon.
Can you give a link or the exact name for this.. not sure what to search for.. Thanks
Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by djbelt
Are they still selling cars with Spice Red interiors? If they are, GM has just changed the part number after discontinuing part # 23358568. Before I went to the dealer, I would call one of the Big GM online Wholesale companies and get the new part #.

Quick Reply: 3LT - Another Dash question