Sponsored by:

Well...now I've done it...targa top flight tests

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The 2LT and higher models have a small microswitch in the front targa pin receptacle, driver side. It's purpose is to disable the interior motion alarm when the car is parked with the top removed, so a leaf blowing in doesn't set off the alarm.

A second switch could be paired up to give a warning so that "pin in place but handle not latched" would give a DIC warning and chime.

I'm not holding my breath.
...and I'm already working on one, lol. That's not a $950 lesson I'm eager to re-learn. I've got a 3D printer and a lot of microcontroller toys so I'm going to tinker around with a few ideas and see if anything practical comes out of this useless brain...not holding my breath either after the recent roof incident, lol
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jdlev
...and I'm already working on one, lol. That's not a $950 lesson I'm eager to re-learn. I've got a 3D printer and a lot of microcontroller toys so I'm going to tinker around with a few ideas and see if anything practical comes out of this useless brain...not holding my breath either after the recent roof incident, lol
Keep us posted!

In our 17 yrs/200+k miles of driving Corvettes, I have not yet failed to latch the targa. Probably a good part of the reason is seeing stories like yours every few months, reminding me that anyone, including me, can make the mistake.

While working on your warning switch design, I'd like to recommend the Flying Roofs tag as mentioned in posts #20 & 24, as a cheap/easy interim warning.

Best of luck to you!
The following users liked this post:
Flying Roofs (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

C7 Corvette Transparent Top Flight Test video

EDIT - Unable to post link... it disappears when I add it... go to hightechcorvette's Facebook page and run his June 10 video "Oops"...

Last edited by jimmbbo; 06-15-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Link didn't work for me.

Quick Reply: Well...now I've done it...targa top flight tests