Sponsored by:

Which model is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by flynbulldog
Thanks for all the responses so far guys. A couple of options I know that I want are manual trans, GT seats, at least 2lt trim level, and museum delivery.

But If I felt fine in those cars would the base non z51 be even better? I didnt drive a stingray.

Yes. You don't need the Z51 complication. There are so many reports of dealer confusion over the oil change. It's a little more aggressive as well. But do get MSRC. A Stingray is great as a Grand Turismo. That's the majority of my miles. It's a great road car. And Museum delivery is a real treat.
The following users liked this post:
flynbulldog (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 PM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Best way is make a list of options you'd like on your car and the color you want and test out everyone. It took about 40 before I found the one I wanted and if your on a budget that limits your cars. 2LT has more than a 1LT and 3LT is just an extra expense. Stingray, Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 are all Corvettes and all are fast just some are faster. Just remember to get what makes you smile
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Add Z51 Sway Bars to Base C7

Worth an entire thread read.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-base-c7.html
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

From your description of anticipated use, it's not a lot different from my own. I opted for a manual base model. It meets my needs perfectly well and avoids a number of potential issues others sometimes (though rarely) have been stated to have with the various "up-market" versions.

I race real race cars on the Salt Flats and have no need to play boy-racer on the street or track with anything, much less my C7. Nor do I wish to emulate Mark Ruess, so max power/top speed aren't issues for me.

Also, the additional electronic gobble-de-gook I'd never use is not missed. I do have a base C5 I ordered 17 years ago that worked as well for me... still does. Indeed, I'd have paid extra to have avoided half the crap on the base C7 that comes standard if I could. In fact, something akin to the pre-2001 (Z06-type) turret-top would have been a nice option.

Just my nickel's worth since you asked. Enjoy whatever you decide on, and all the best!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

We talked about coupe or convert and we both think the coupe with a lift off top gives us the benefit of both. security in the hotel parking lots - lots of luggage space and a removable top for when the weather is just right.
The hatchback body offers no more security than the convertible. Thieves break a side window to gain access to your Corvette anyway .

The hatchback roof is a PITA to effectively store and deal with as you're with cross country travelling luggage, and the hatchback cannot be driven over 45 mph without the wind buffeting you to death.

Buy a convertible. No problems as the hatchback.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 06-04-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckerC7
Best way is make a list of options you'd like on your car and the color you want and test out everyone. It took about 40 before I found the one I wanted and if your on a budget that limits your cars. 2LT has more than a 1LT and 3LT is just an extra expense. Stingray, Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 are all Corvettes and all are fast just some are faster. Just remember to get what makes you smile

He has NO budget. Please read thread.....
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

He has NO budget. Please read thread.....
For a tourer I would say get the basic Stingray in 1LT, 2LT or 3LT depending on the features you'd like. Z51 and more aggressive versions are really more track oriented cars with features that you won't need on the street. Realistically, the base engine has more acceleration than you can use much of the time.

Maybe add some sound deadening to the rear of the coupe to cut down on road noise (but remember that if you're fully loaded with soft luggage that in itself will cut out a lot of transmitted noise).

Enjoy!

Last edited by fsvoboda; 06-04-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

My wife and I want to use our new Corvette as a GT car - or in the old sense a touring car - aside from me using it around town here and there we want to travel the country in it.

We actually want to spend months at a time traveling from state to state.

Any help or insight is appreciated which model is right for our needs?

Long story short, if you're Main concern is ride, and going to be spending months driving it,... buy the Base C7 without MSRC.
And again, since you'll be spending months driving it, Treat yourself and get the 3LT option.
The following users liked this post:
flynbulldog (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I'm about ready to order a new vette. I know some of the option that I want but I'm having a really hard time figuring out which model to choose for my needs.

I really want a Z06 but honestly its probably not the best option for my type of use - let me start with that and maybe some of you will have some good advice for me.

My wife and I want to use our new Corvette as a GT car - or in the old sense a touring car - aside from me using it around town here and there we want to travel the country in it. We actually want to spend months at a time traveling from state to state. So really, even though I'd love to have the power and handling of the z06 we might be better off with a base vette with no z51 option so that the ride is more plush and the narrower tires are not so loud. Or is that really as big of an issue as I think it is?

For a while I though the GS might be the way to go - I could get the body of the z06 with the drive train of the base car - but now I'm second guessing that line of thinking too.

Any help or insight is appreciated which model is right for our needs?
I would try and test drive a Z06 and Grand Sport. Even if used, so you can compare the engines. Based on your comments, IF you get anything other than a Z06 or Grand Sport, you will not be happy in the long run and will likely lust for every one you see on the road.

As for comfort, I find the Z06 very comfortable and smooth especially highway and “touring”. I’ve taken mine on several 6 hour trips and an 18 hour trip back east with my daughter and we were both very comfortable.

Just my $.02, but I think you should get a Grand Sport. I think it’s the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 06-04-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

We talked about coupe or convert and we both think the coupe with a lift off top gives us the benefit of both. security in the hotel parking lots - lots of luggage space and a removable top for when the weather is just right.
I'm not suggesting either way in your decision as to to coup vs vert as it's pretty much a preference thing, however I wouldn't let urban myth and miss-information influence my decision.

First, having a targa top off doesn't even come close to the convertible experience for many reasons, the C7 soft top is reinforced and no longer something that can be easily cut into with a pocket knife and being able to conceal your luggage in a locked trunk offers security over having all your things on display under a hatch-back.

And, check out the recent coup vs vert threads and I believe you may be amazed at how much luggage can be stowed in a vert trunk, even with the top down. See how little you can stow in a coup along with the targa top.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Check if there is availability for all-season runflats in the GS/Z06 sizes...unless you plan on just touring during the Summer, or in the South.

The wider tires of the GS/Z06 will be more prone to hydroplaning. I couldn't drive my C6Z safely above 50 m.p.h. at times on the highway in moderate or greater intensity rain. I have yet to hydroplane in the C7 Stingray (Z51 equipped).
Bingo!

As of today, there are no A/S tires for the GS/Z07 at Tire Rack.
Michelin has been promising them for a couple of years and really promising them for this Fall. Do you feel lucky?

Our use is similar to OP, except that I like an occasional autocross or track day. We bought a Z51 2LT coupe (need the trunk space) with Mag Ride, when you start having fun in the mountains then the extra engine/trans cooling is nice. We have a second set of wheels with the A/S runflats and switch each Spring/Fall, but for a touring car you can just get the A/S and sell the factory PSS.
Regardless of what model you get, the Mag Ride can make it a bit more comfortable.
The advantages of the GS only become apparent on the track.
Z06 acceleration is nice but, as mentioned, hard to use on the street unless you have good legal and medical coverage.

Whatever you get, enjoy it!
"See the USA in your Chevrolet"

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 06-04-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

GS great looking and great handling sport car for the money.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:17 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

If budget was not a factor, C7 Z06 because of buyers remorse if you go another route. If power is your last care, a C7 GS would work.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 AM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I think the sweet spot for corvette's is the GS. I found that even when I had my C6, I wasn't able to use it's performance much on the street. By the time you pulled a gear, you were speeding. It sounds like you don't need Z06 performance, so it comes down to these questions.

Do you want a wide body or not?
Select the interior trim 2LT or 3LT, decide on Mag ride & NPP.

As much as I wanted a GS (mainly for the wide body), it was out of my price range. That said, I really am thrilled with the 3LT Z51 that I have. I think the front splitter and side skirts helped the look a lot too.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Another vote for the GS. Sounds like you are buying new and a 2019 will have the MRC software upgrade. Touring mode with the new software is really quiet and soft so think it would be perfect for a GT-like experience. The GS handles the best too, though that probably isn't of much concern as it doesn't sound like you aren't going to be pushing any model touring the country.

Since you don't have a budget it really comes down to whether you like the wide body (GS) look or not (Z51 Stingray). For me it was easy as I love the look of wide-bodied cars of all types, not just Corvettes.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 AM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

well I kinda thought this might happen but advice is all over the map. I really want someone to tell me the Z06 makes a fine touring car. but lets be honest here - the Z06 is a track car and better suited to track enthusiasts.

And the convertible guys seem to be insulted to think someone could cut their soft top to enter the car. Unfortunately I've experienced that scenario first hand. And my wife doesnt want a convert so even though this is my decision that isnt likely. I do love the look of the convertible

The whole buyers remorse thing is very real and guys who say "you'll lust after the one you didnt get" have a point, it has happened to me before.

I guess I dont know if I'm looking for validation or what but this thread hasnt made the decision any easier. I'm ready to buy now but two things are making me hesitate: It seems that museum delivery is not available on order cars right now and I really want to wait for the new blue that was introduced for the next model year. if I ordered now I'd go for long beach red.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

For your purposes, a 3LT without the Z51 would be perfect. The base car is way more than you will ever use for cruising or touring. The 3LT gives it a little more "plushness" and without the complications inherent in the Z51-although the performance gearing in the Z51 is tempting.

Get notified of new replies

To Which model is right for me?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM
NOMOREWORK
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I've only ever driven one C-7 and that is the Stingray I purchased. I find it to have more power then I could ever use short of a race track. My wife and I have taken some trips, nothing like you are planning, but we both find the car quite comfortable, with ample storage. Rides great and handles very well.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you really want a Z06 then get one, trying to talk yourself into someohting else wont cut it. Too much to spend to resent it.

These dont have to make sense they are money pits-just get what you want.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are going to be cruising on long distance drives, then the best option is the Grandsport, simply because it comes with all of the suspension systems of the Stingray Z51. If you can't afford the GS, then a Z51 Stingray would be the next option. You definitely do not want a Z06 as a long distance cruiser. I suggest not buying a Z06 as a cruiser since the gas MPG on the Z06 sucks, you would be constantly looking for a gas station.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 06-05-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Which model is right for me?