Sponsored by:

Just Bought C7....Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:24 AM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegoatee05
Couple things to think about... My wife used to work at CarMax and we still have a lot of friends that work there so have some inside knowledge as to how they work. First, if you like the car and that is the only thing that is bothering you, see if they would be willing to get it fixed for you. Usually, they will want to keep a sale rather than have to sell it again. Second, if you didn't purchase an extended warranty through CarMax and you decide to keep the car, get one. You can literally get whatever you want if you have one. Case in point, when working in the service department, they had a young woman come in, about 22 or 23 years old. She had purchased a used car a couple years ago right after graduating college. Well, let's just say that she seized her engine because in that two year period she never changed her oil and her engine wasn't happy about it. She said that she told CarMax when she purchased it that she knew nothing about cars and that she needed help with everything. Long story short, new engine was put in under warranty even though it was totally her fault.
I say, if the price was good, and you like the car try getting it fixed by them. If not then give it back. If you get it fixed, add on that warranty.
Ive never purchased an extended warranty so I honestly didn't even look at their options. I thought these cars were fairly bullet proof mechanically and I didn't think the warranty would cover cosmetic B2B type stuff.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Well I took it back to Carmax this morning and their service manager looked at it and agreed it was an issue. They said to drop it off on Wednesday to have it looked at/fixed. Said it would probably have to go back to GM to get fixed. They told me my 5 day window would be put on hold until the issue was addressed. So we'll see. Hopefully works out!

In the meantime is there any other things I should be looking for?
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (06-14-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps
Well I took it back to Carmax this morning and their service manager looked at it and agreed it was an issue. They said to drop it off on Wednesday to have it looked at/fixed. Said it would probably have to go back to GM to get fixed. They told me my 5 day window would be put on hold until the issue was addressed. So we'll see. Hopefully works out!

As far as other issues with the '14's there isn't that many. Some of the first ones had infotainment issues that were fixed under warranty. Other that that "bulletproof" seems to be the operative word. However, if you think it will bother you I suggest looking at their extended warranty also. Sometimes the peace of mind is worth the cost. Keep us updated. I have looked at cars at CarMax in the pat, but was worried about their service after the sell. So far though it seems as if they are willing to help. Good luck.
Maxie2U (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegoatee05
Couple things to think about... My wife used to work at CarMax and we still have a lot of friends that work there so have some inside knowledge as to how they work. First, if you like the car and that is the only thing that is bothering you, see if they would be willing to get it fixed for you. Usually, they will want to keep a sale rather than have to sell it again. Second, if you didn't purchase an extended warranty through CarMax and you decide to keep the car, get one. You can literally get whatever you want if you have one. Case in point, when working in the service department, they had a young woman come in, about 22 or 23 years old. She had purchased a used car a couple years ago right after graduating college. Well, let's just say that she seized her engine because in that two year period she never changed her oil and her engine wasn't happy about it. She said that she told CarMax when she purchased it that she knew nothing about cars and that she needed help with everything. Long story short, new engine was put in under warranty even though it was totally her fault.
I say, if the price was good, and you like the car try getting it fixed by them. If not then give it back. If you get it fixed, add on that warranty.
Extended warranties DO NOT COVER cosmetic fixes.

[/B][/SIZE]

Last edited by Maxie2U; 06-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Maybe will have to consider looking for a 2LT instead to avoid this issue in the future
I bought my 2014 new just over 4 years ago. I drive it daily. It doesn't have those issues on the dash.

Good to hear they're taking care of it.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

The old saying is, “trust but verify”. Did you get anything in writing?
Old 06-11-2018, 05:15 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
The old saying is, “trust but verify”. Did you get anything in writing?
Will ask for it on Wednesday when I take it in.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 AM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Noticed something else I've not experienced in any other car. Please let me know if its normal. After turning the car off I hear the sound of some kind of pressure venting. Like pssshhhh psshhhhh over and over for a little while.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Nope didn't notice. Its been raining and just nasty here. Once in the garage lights I saw it. I honestly wasn't looking to hard when I bought it because I knew I had 5 days (I've returned a car to them before no issues). Its not that easy to see either, looks obvious but only because I can shove my phone in there to take the pic. Just sitting in the car its not very noticeable.
Return it and request another one, there are many Stingrays available for sale for you to choose from. I have the same '14 year 3LT and my dash is perfect. If you are looking for automatic transmission that year was the best with the A6 transmission which doesn't have the A8 issues, just don't plan to track it because it would overheat. And last, buy your C7 certified and with an extended warranty, for your peace of mind.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 06-13-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Ive never purchased an extended warranty so I honestly didn't even look at their options. I thought these cars were fairly bullet proof mechanically and I didn't think the warranty would cover cosmetic B2B type stuff.
Think twice. Google is your friend.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 AM
bluegoatee05
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh you'd be surprised at what you can get outside of the normal exclusions if you are nice first...then demanding. New rims, trim pieces, etc...

In this case, I knew he was in the 5 day return window, and 30 day warranty period; which is why I suggested having the cosmetic issues addressed now. Then, add on the warranty to cover any other issues he might have along the way.

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Extended warranties DO NOT COVER cosmetic fixes.

[/B][/SIZE]
Old 06-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Noticed something else I've not experienced in any other car. Please let me know if its normal. After turning the car off I hear the sound of some kind of pressure venting. Like pssshhhh psshhhhh over and over for a little while.
That's probably A/C condensation hitting the exhaust pipes.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
That's probably A/C condensation hitting the exhaust pipes.
Thanks I searched last night but couldn't find anything. Earlier today after more searching I found some posts mentioning that. I just dropped it off at Carmax and they gave me a written note about having 5 days after they fix it or what not to return the car.
Rebel Yell (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

I hope they fix her to your satisfaction. Seems like they are trying to help you out.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I hope they fix her to your satisfaction. Seems like they are trying to help you out.
Hope so. I've looked at others in the area for the same $$ and I honestly prefer this one. I like the color, love the clear top and apart from the dash it seems very well taken care of.

Carmax called said they would order a new dash from GM and install it. I have honestly never had a bad experience with Carmax. Although this is the first car I've bought for myself from them my girlfriend has purchased 2 or 3 cars from them and never had an issue. Even when the radio died on one they took care of it.

I do have it in writing now so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how the repair goes.
Rebel Yell (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Both items have been reported.

The "chatter" as GM calls it is caused by the very low slip angle race car type tire construction on the Michelins. It's mostly an issue below 50F. Gets so bad I (and many others) just don't turn the wheel full lock when it's below 50F and make a K" turn! If you want to know why it happens here is a PDF I made in 2014: http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

Have seen pics of dashes worse than yours. You're looks to me that a good interior repair shop can fix it.

Frankly on one post also out of warranty and worse than yours with the open seam very long did not want to spend the money to have the dash replaced. I recommended a piece of "old car fender welting" that comes in black. It's available from restoration companies. If you can get yours repaired properly great. But this approach may be useful for other older C7s where is problem appears it can occur and owner's don't want to spend the money.

I used something similar but thinner on my Grand Sport door. See below:

I used this trim that inserts into leather seams on my doors. I had added a seat colored upper dash pad and this trim extended to color to the door.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-13-2018 at 04:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
dreamingat30fps (06-13-2018), Rebel Yell (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

It sounds like they're making a better effort at getting it taken care of than some of the Chevrolet dealers I've read about here.

Good luck. It sounds like you really want the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Bought C7....Questions

Old 06-14-2018, 03:39 PM
rogerm60
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Been wanting to get a C7 since they came out. Got a Camaro instead (because of price) and loved that, but ended up selling it about a year ago and regretted it. So I finally picked up a 2014 C7 3LT!

I got from Carmax of all places. I usually find their cars overpriced, but honestly in this instance I they had just what I wanted, next door to my house and for a better price than any of the other local used options within my price range.

Anyways. You get 5 days with them to return the car no questions asked. So I figured I would go over it thoroughly in that time and decide. It drives very different from the camaro so I can't compare the two.

There's only 2 things I've noticed since I've had the car for a little bit. When making slow, tight turns, like in a parking lot I get an odd vibration. Feels like the tires are scrubbing the ground or something not sure, kind of weird, but only in that very specific scenario.

I also noticed the leather on the dash around the center vent (like the defog vent) is popped up. Almost looked like that part was removed and then the leather not properly installed or something.

Any other common things I should check?

Thanks!
GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR GIVE IT BACK! ONLY A MATTER OF TIME / MILES BEFORE YOU'LL BE WISHING YOU DIDN'T OWN IT! The A8 TRANSMISSION is a problem just waiting to happen. Right now, I'm saying the entire car is a POS!
Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Originally Posted by rogerm60
GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR GIVE IT BACK! ONLY A MATTER OF TIME / MILES BEFORE YOU'LL BE WISHING YOU DIDN'T OWN IT! The A8 TRANSMISSION is a problem just waiting to happen. Right now, I'm saying the entire car is a POS!
Thanks I will look into if I keep the car, mine is an M7 though.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerm60
GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR GIVE IT BACK! ONLY A MATTER OF TIME / MILES BEFORE YOU'LL BE WISHING YOU DIDN'T OWN IT!
I already told him that:
VVV
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I would want to buy a used C7 WITH a complete GM extended warranty. If yours doesn't, walk.
Thanks I will look into if I keep the car, mine is an M7 though.
Forget the Carmax warranty - you want the GM Extended Warranty.....

Quick Reply: Just Bought C7....Questions